As If They Haven't Stuck Their Noses Into Enough

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 01:11 pm
my question is what was the original time? With the hour lost or the hour gained??
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 01:16 pm
mac11 wrote:
I remember the year-round daylight savings in the 70s. We waited for the school bus in the dark. Really bad idea.

I was talking with someone last night about this. I know we've tried this before, I vaguely remember it, but he said no, Reagan and Co. talked about it but never actually put it into affect.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 01:27 pm
Info about 1970's DST experiment...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 01:59 pm
Thanks mac11.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 02:45 pm
since the oil shortage/pricing problem seems to come up periodically, and for the same reason, wouldn't it be smart to quit dragging our feet on getting free of the stuff.

of course, it can't be done "overnight" as the argument goes, but jeez, we're talking 30+ years and very few of the new technologies have made their way to the public. and some that have are discontinued and recalled for destruction such as the gm ev1 electric car.

can't keep putting bandaids on the problem...

ev1
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 03:42 pm
I believe there are currently 3 or 4 models of hybrid cars out right now with more coming out every year. Bush just signed a new bill or deal with some major car company to provide more money for hydrogen fuel technology. I think it is a great idea. The more we can do to remove gas usage from our lives the better we will all be.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:15 pm
There's a lotta gas useage right on this very thread. Or is that 'gas emissions'?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 01:36 am
Baldimo wrote:
I believe there are currently 3 or 4 models of hybrid cars out right now with more coming out every year. Bush just signed a new bill or deal with some major car company to provide more money for hydrogen fuel technology. I think it is a great idea. The more we can do to remove gas usage from our lives the better we will all be.

yeah there are a couple. but they still require gas to get going and then there's some kind of alternating power scheme. not a terrible idea. just late in coming, all things considered.

the one that is really kind of funny is a fuel called "grassoline". basically ya take your mowed grass and sort of ferment it or something. it will work with any standard diesel engine from what i've seen.

i don't know that much about hydrogen power, but as i understand it, the big problem with hydrogen is that it actually takes more energy to produce than it yields.

whatever it takes though, we gotta quit using the "black gold" because we just don't have enough domestic to meet the needs and dealing with these other guys just keeps getting to be a bigger problem.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 06:27 am
What sticks in my craw is the fact that the problem has been seen and talked about for years and our government has had it's head up it's backside. They should have a project similar to the Manhattan project, that developed the atom bomb, in place to develop alternate forms of energy. Instead they did virtually nothing in fact they could not even put adequate MPG restrictions on vehicles as a conservation measure. It would appear the only thing that moves our government is crisis. All too often the crisis is self generated.
Even now Bush's answer to the problem drill, drill, drill. Mother earth has just so much oil to give. When it runs out or becomes unable to support out habit, what then. Will it be a world at conflict and winner take all?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 12:52 pm
remember that movie, "the road warrior" ? Laughing

i agree with you au. they seem to make the time (and out of their oh so well deserved spring break) to run back to washington to rush emergency legislation over "morals and values", and spend time screwing around with the whole "one nation under god" and gay marriage red herrings, but just can't seem to find the time to deal with the important, and real, issues that effect every american, every day.

it's complete b.s.
0 Replies