http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/07/daylight.saving.ap/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,295 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:52 pm
To help with the energy crisis. I've never heard of anything so goddam stupid in my entire 40 years on this planet.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:56 pm
I am still waiting for them to increase the mandated GPM for cars and suv's. Think of how many barrels of oil that would save. I gues not it would be asking too much of the automobile industry.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:58 pm
Folks can use those extra daylight hours to drive their cars with their light off instead of goin home and parking them Laughing Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 03:53 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
To help with the energy crisis. I've never heard of anything so goddam stupid in my entire 40 years on this planet.

I'd imagine that this is how people felt when daylight saving time was first created.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 06:12 pm
Makes perfectly good sense to me. With extra daylight, people can get out more in their gas-guzzlers, stay out later, and thus help the poor, suffering petroleum industry. What's wrong with that?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 06:18 pm
No! What are they thinking? We should abolish DLS instead.....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 06:22 pm
eoe wrote:

I'd imagine that this is how people felt when daylight saving time was first created.

I thought it was created to give farmers an extra hour in the fields...
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:08 pm
The original idea is Ben Franklin's. http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/franklin3.html
But in the modern world it had nothing to do with the farmers, the reason we use it was from WWI. By moving the clock ahead one hour, it was found that you could save the fuel needed to produce electricity, by using the extra daylight.
The US started using it in 1918 and ended in 1919.
FDR again used it during WWII from 1942 until 1945, for the same reasons.
And for those of us old enough to remember, Nixon had the Emergency Daylight Saving Time Energy Conservatoin Act of 1973. It put the country on year around DST from Jan 1974 until April 1975.
http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/e.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:13 pm
year round? Why not do that? I hate shifting. I have a diabetic cat who is supposed to be shot with insulin every 12 hours. The shift causes havoc (mild, admittedly) in his schedule.
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:15 pm
I am all in favor of having it year around myself. Being somewhat of a late riser, I like having the extra hour in the evening, instead of in the morning.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:22 pm
That sounds good to me. But, wouldn't we night owls just adjust to the new hours eventually?
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:25 pm
Yes we would, but we would still have the sunlight at the end of the day to use, rather than in the morning when we are still asleep.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 02:14 am
what ever it takes to avoid doing any meaningful work around the capitol, eh boys ?

term limits are looking better all the time. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:33 am
tommrr
I though I remembered it being used during WW2 but I wasn't sure. Was going to ask if someone knew and my memory wasn't playing tricks on me. I guess the mind isn't completely gone yet.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:50 am
Why don't we all just move to Alaska in the summer months? Then we wouldn't need any lights at all. And we'd be closer to the oil we're gonna drill out of the ground.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:55 am
eoe wrote:

Farmers worked acording to a clock? Funny I always thought they got up at the crack of dawn and stopped working when the sun went down. If you work like that does it really matter what time a clock says?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 11:29 am
you have a point there Baldimo.

I would like to hear from anyone how moving the clock around saves energy. I truly don't get it.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 12:31 pm
Baldimo wrote:
eoe wrote:

Farmers worked acording to a clock? Funny I always thought they got up at the crack of dawn and stopped working when the sun went down. If you work like that does it really matter what time a clock says?

dunno baldi. our backyard backed up to farm when i was a kid. the farmer always swore that the time change put his milk cows off kilter.
but he was a little..., umm.... eccentric
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 01:08 pm
I remember the year-round daylight savings in the 70s. We waited for the school bus in the dark. Really bad idea.
0 Replies