All I've wanted to do is ride a pony...

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:27 pm
Looking back through your life, what are some things you've always wanted to do, but never got the chance or pulled the trigger for whatever reason, whether due to marriage/kids, family, ect.?

For example, I've pretty much had every toy I've ever wanted. So it doesn't come down obtaining material things for me. Only things I can really think of(other than two chicks at once, man), is for one, I've always told myself I'd move to a warmer climate for a change. CA, FL, something like that. Always been jealous of friends who have. It's never happened, for no reasons other than maybe job(s),fear of change, and not wanting to move by myself.

Next thing on my list is buying property instead of throwing money away on rent. This isn't much of an issue, because I know I'll buy eventually. I do wish I've already done so, however.

Of course, when I ask this I mean realistic things. Not "I wanted to be an astronaut, but when I realized I'm too stupid to finish high school, I may not be accepted into NASA school," or "I wanted to be a rock star but I can't sing, and I have no hands to play an instrument."

This may be a depressing thread. Nice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 781 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:36 pm
I always wanted to beat someone to death with my bare hands but obviously there are many reasons I can't and won't do that. Still it's always been a fantasy of mine.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:58 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I always wanted to beat someone to death with my bare hands but obviously there are many reasons I can't and won't do that. Still it's always been a fantasy of mine.

I've got one on you there. All those poor elderly people in wheelchairs that have made unwelcome eye contact. Smile or no smile, it was CURTAINS FOR THEM!!!

CURTAINS!!!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:30 pm
I wonder if anyone actually reads these threads before switching them into "humor."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 03:36 pm
Probably the people in wheelchairs do.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 03:45 pm
Do all of your threads make the jump?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 03:45 pm
I once thought of mounting a pony but I was really drunk and it was only for a few minutes.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 03:51 pm
I always wanted to move to a warmer climate too, but...oh wait, I did do that...ummm...I always wanted to live in Manhattan, but I...no, wait, I did that too...thinking...well, it looks like I've done everything I've ever wanted to do. Cool!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:02 pm
What about if you have two diametrically opposed "always wanted to..."s? Like, I always thought it would be cool to be the mom in this big giant bustling chaotic-but-loving family. When I watched "Malcolm in the Middle" before I got pregnant I thought it would be cool to be like the mom on that show, the oasis of sanity (er, sometimes) in the midst of the maelstrom, the one who everyone's a little scared of but who also keeps everything together.

Then, I always thought it would be great to have this small, close-knit family, everyone hanging out in the living room doing their own thing and then sharing it with each other now and then, going traveling and stuff because with one kid it's so much easier/ possible, parents close because they're not so overwhelmed, and because the total time parenting is shorter.

So I guess what I gotta do now is start traveling. She's old enough.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:51 pm
I wanted to join the Peace Corps and even went to their offices and spoke to people. The next week I was offered a "dream job" in the field I wanted to work in, so I got an apartment and put down roots (furniture, dishes, a boyfriend, a cat etc). The job turned out not to be my dream and I eventually left, but I never got back to exploring the Peace Corps option.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:55 pm
I've always wanted to go to Japan.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 06:01 pm
When I was fresh out of college, I thought it might be fun to work for the CIA. Even got an application form from the uni's alumni placement office. But then I got drunk and forgot to fill it out and mail it. Wonder what kind'a secret agent I would have been?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:14 am
I want to go to Japan too. Tokyo. But it's mainly because I picture all the women dressed as school girls with pigtails, plaid skirts, and leather boots.

Merry Andrew, the CIA has "applications?" What the hell, is it like Burger King? If you've got 3 references, you're in.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:05 am
I've always wanted to live in the mid-Atlantic states, North Carolina or Virginia. I love the east coast, but I don't want to go back to New England. I'd like to be about half way between the ocean and the mountains so I'm not too far from either of them. I still hope to do it someday. I'm leaning towards the Charlottesville, VA area. Maybe once my kids are out of school...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 02:30 pm
Slappy, if I remember correctly -- I was heavily overdosed most of the time back then -- it was a standard FDepartment of State application, came with a cover letter from some recruiter who kept referring to "the agency which I represent," never naming the agency at all. It was all rather bizarre. In retrospect, I think I'm glad I never went any further with that particular idea. The thing is, I had a good chance of actually getting that job. I was fluent in an Iron Curtain country language. Still am, in fact. But there ain't no Iron Curtain any more and all I can do with that language now is to offer my services to the Language Services unit of the State Dept. They throw me a bone now and again.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:15 pm
I want the countryside of Japan more than the cities.
0 Replies