A pathetic case of Pentagon incompetence

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:15 pm
For once, I'm with Ticomaya. The Pentagon is a lumbering bureaucracy, geared to deploying troops and supplying them with such necessities as plenty of ammunition. It is not very good at such things as teaching soldiers how to speak another language. In peacetime operations and in training missions, the State Dept. usually provides foreign language interpreters and translators to DoD. That's not feasible in this situation so the Pentagon is left to shift for itself and isn't doing it very well.

Now, what was the point, again?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:18 pm
Brandon I give up I do not have the facility of speaking to an empty hole.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:31 pm
au1929 wrote:
Brandon I give up I do not have the facility of speaking to an empty hole.

To summarize:

1 I answered your points individually and clearly.
2. Your response was to repeat over and over that you are right and I know it or should know it, call me names, and make statements about my education, which is a thing that you can know nothing about.

The truth behind the smokescreen is that you lack the wit to meet me in debate, except in this manner, and don't like the thrashing you usually get.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:35 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
au1929 wrote:
Brandon, not happy but dismayed and disgusted.
As for what went wrong in Iraq. The planning or lack thereof for control once we were in. And all the attendant problems related to it. You don't think it was well planned or do you?

Well, we won easily in 3 weeks. We didn't predict the subsequent insurgency, but who says wars are simple or predictable, or that enemies are pushovers? They haven't usually been such in the past. Probably we ought to have gone in with more troops. I am sure that most past wars were just overflowing with screw-ups. The difference was that in the past we usually had a loyal populace and press who didn't delight in crowing about every imprefection from a picture perfect sequence of events.

Come back to reality Brandon.

Gelisgesti wrote:
If Dubya Had Read What Poppy Wrote . . .

In his memoir, "A World Transformed," written five years ago, George Bush Sr. wrote the following to explain why he didn't go after Saddam Hussein at the end of the Gulf War.

"Trying to eliminate Saddam...would have incurred incalculable human and political costs. Apprehending him was probably impossible.... We would have been forced to occupy Baghdad and, in effect, rule Iraq.... There was no viable "exit strategy" we could see, violating another of our principles. Furthermore, we had been consciously trying to set a pattern for handling aggression in the post-Cold War world. Going in and occupying Iraq, thus unilaterally exceeding the United Nations' mandate, would have destroyed the precedent of international response to aggression that we hoped to establish. Had we gone the invasion route, the United States could conceivably still be an occupying power in a bitterly hostile land."

mesquite wrote:
In a 1996 Frontline Special on The Gulf War General Norman Schwarzkoph spoke these prophetic words.
Quote:
Gen. NORMAN SCHWARZKOPF: On the question of going to Baghdad_ if you remember the Vietnam war, we had no international legitimacy for what we did. As a result, we, first of all, lost the battle in world public opinion. Eventually, we lost the battle at home.

In the Gulf war, we had great international legitimacy in the form of eight United Nations resolutions, every one of which said, "Kick Iraq out of Kuwait." Did not say one word about going into Iraq, taking Baghdad, conquering the whole country and- and hanging Saddam Hussein. That's point number one.

Point number two- had we gone on to Baghdad, I don't believe the French would have gone and I'm quite sure that the Arab coalition would not have gone. The coalition would have ruptured and the only people that would have gone would have been the United Kingdom and the United States of America.

And, oh, by the way, I think we'd still be there. We'd be like a dinosaur in a tar pit. We could not have gotten out and we'd still be the occupying power and we'd be paying 100 percent of all the costs to administer all of Iraq.

Transcript
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:37 pm
mesquite wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
au1929 wrote:
Brandon, not happy but dismayed and disgusted.
As for what went wrong in Iraq. The planning or lack thereof for control once we were in. And all the attendant problems related to it. You don't think it was well planned or do you?

Well, we won easily in 3 weeks. We didn't predict the subsequent insurgency, but who says wars are simple or predictable, or that enemies are pushovers? They haven't usually been such in the past. Probably we ought to have gone in with more troops. I am sure that most past wars were just overflowing with screw-ups. The difference was that in the past we usually had a loyal populace and press who didn't delight in crowing about every imprefection from a picture perfect sequence of events.

Come back to reality Brandon.

Are you capable of being specific?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:58 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

mesquite posted two quotes to back up what he perceives as loss of reality on your side, Brandon.

You wrote
Brandon9000 wrote:
We didn't predict the subsequent insurgency, but who says wars are simple or predictable

And mesquite quoted some resources that state that the current situation had almost exactly been predicted. That's quite a specific reply to your post, I would say.

Why do you think it is not specific, Brandon?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 06:26 pm
At least old europe gets it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:06 pm
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

mesquite posted two quotes to back up what he perceives as loss of reality on your side, Brandon.

You wrote
Brandon9000 wrote:
We didn't predict the subsequent insurgency, but who says wars are simple or predictable

And mesquite quoted some resources that state that the current situation had almost exactly been predicted. That's quite a specific reply to your post, I would say.

Why do you think it is not specific, Brandon?

Because if you post your opinion about something, "old europe," I can simply write down links and excerpt other people's words without making any attempt to answer your logical points myself. This does not constitute debate. If Mesquite has any intelligent response to the quotation of mine he gave, let him make it. If he cannot state a viewpoint and give an argument to support it, he shouldn't be playing with the adults.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:14 pm
Why do you guys argue with Brandon? He's obviously right. He even said so, so it must be true.

So let's move on to how the pentagon is filled with incompetent as*holes, shall we?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:27 pm
Sometimes I do not feel that Kicky takes these little discussions with the deadly seriousness they so richly merit.

bad Kicky.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 09:19 pm
kickycan wrote:
Why do you guys argue with Brandon? He's obviously right. He even said so, so it must be true.

So let's move on to how the pentagon is filled with incompetent as*holes, shall we?

It seems to be a characteristic of you liberals to make these slash and run attacks, in which you make some little wisecrack, but avoid like the plague any kind of direct discussion or analysis of the points your opponent has made. I think the prevailing sentiment would be that it indicates an inability to support your views.

You seem to think that responding to a specific argument with a wisecrack means you win something. The truth is that most people know it means you can't defend your position.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 09:26 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
kickycan wrote:

It seems to be a characteristic of you liberals to make these slash and run attacks, in which you make some little wisecrack, but avoid like the plague any kind of direct discussion or analysis of the points your opponent has made. I think the prevailing sentiment would be that it indicates an inability to support your views.

You seem to think that responding to a specific argument with a wisecrack means you win something. The truth is that most people know it means you can't defend your position.

Or it could be that I'm just so sick of hearing you say the same thing over and over and over and over again...but you know, there's always someone willing to take the bait, right? You go, girl!
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:05 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Because if you post your opinion about something, "old europe," I can simply write down links and excerpt other people's words without making any attempt to answer your logical points myself. This does not constitute debate. If Mesquite has any intelligent response to the quotation of mine he gave, let him make it. If he cannot state a viewpoint and give an argument to support it, he shouldn't be playing with the adults.

I thought that the point I was making was self evident. Old europe agreed and explained it. I then confirmed that his take was correct. What more do you need? I have in the past given you detailed explanations as in this post only to have you leave the discussion without responding.

I generally agree with your positions on religious threads. That is why I am puzzled with your unswaying support of our theocratic leader with the napoleonic complex.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 11:14 pm
mesquite wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

I thought that the point I was making was self evident. Old europe agreed and explained it. I then confirmed that his take was correct. What more do you need? I have in the past given you detailed explanations as in this post only to have you leave the discussion without responding.

Well, I can't be on 24 x 7. Let me see, what did "old europe" have to say about your probable argument?......Oh, yes:

old europe wrote:
And mesquite quoted some resources that state that the current situation had almost exactly been predicted.

I will grant that among the numerous predictions, were some that are more or less what really ended up happening. But the argument you are making seems to be that invasion of this particular enemy was difficult and expensive, therefore, ought not to have been attempted. In a case like this, it would be logical to examine the reasons for the invasion and see if they warrant taking on an enemy that was likely not to be easy to defeat. The stated reason for the invasion was to forestall the possibility that Hussein had not destroyed all of his WMD and development programs. Let me deal with this in two discrete pieces:

1. If Hussein Had Retained WMD and WMD Development Programs
Had this been the case and had one been used against us down the road, the difficulty, expense, and number of American fatalities would have been more than the war and occupation are likely ever to add up to.
2. At the Instant of Invasion, What Was the Likelihood that Hussein Retained the Weapons and/or Development Programs?
I am writing this later at night than I ought to stay up and apologize for not having time to do my answer justice. However, I believe that even just the information in the public domain about our history with Hussein raised sufficient likelihood to make it imperative that we stop playing games with him and determine the truth about his WMD once and for all. Remember that there was no doubt that he had had the weapons, hidden and lied about them, used them, etc. The only question was how recently.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:56 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
I will grant that among the numerous predictions, were some that are more or less what really ended up happening.

I guess that was already everything I wanted to hear.

Cause the rest will deroute into an argument what could have happened if Saddam had had WMD and had given them to terrorists which subsequently could have attacked the United States.

I take it Brandon is therefore happy with the invasion. As far as I know he's, nevertheless, unhappy to some degree that no WMD were found, because he is still convinced that Saddam had them before the invasion. And, as far as I know, he thinks those WMD are now somewhere else. Syria was mentioned, I think.

That's just from memory and from the discussions I had with Brandon.

Wasn't quite the topic of the thread, though, so I'll follow Kickycan's statement:

"Why do you guys argue with Brandon? He's obviously right. He even said so, so it must be true.

So let's move on to how the pentagon is filled with incompetent as*holes, shall we?"
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 10:58 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
I will grant that among the numerous predictions, were some that are more or less what really ended up happening.

I would like to point out that the predictions I offered were not just "some". They were from the President ot the U.S. and the top General during Desert Storm.

Last November I posted this on another thread. If you haven't seen the documentary, you should.

Quote:
I would like to think that I would have listened to my generals from the beginning. PBS Frontline recently aired "Rumsfeld's War", which was a remarkable program IMO. It should be required viewing for all political junkies. Laughing The full 90 min . program can be viewed online HERE. The online version is broken into six 15 min. segments.

Here is an excerpt from the program. Note that this is NOT HINDSITE. this testimony was given to congress three weeks prior to the invasion.
Quote:
Feb. 25, 2003 http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/pentagon/art/cronp1.jpg

Shinseki goes public with doubts over troop size.

Three weeks before the invasion of Iraq is to begin, Gen. Shinseki is forced to take his internal fight with Rumsfeld public in testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee. Responding to a question from Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.) about the size of the force required for an occupation of Iraq, Shinseki responds:

I would say that what's been mobilized to this point, something on the order of several hundred thousand soldiers, are probably, you know, a figure that would be required. We're talking about post-hostilities control over a piece of geography that's fairly significant with the kinds of ethnic tensions that could lead to other problems. And so, it takes significant ground force presence to maintain safe and secure environment to ensure that the people are fed, that water is distributed, all the normal responsibilities that go along with administering a situation like this.

Rumsfeld and Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz respond with public rebukes of Shinseki. Rumsfeld calls Shinseki's estimates "far from the mark," and Wolfowitz comments two days later in testimony before the House Budget Committee, "First, it is hard to conceive that it would take more forces to provide stability in a post-Saddam Iraq than it would take to conduct the war itself and to secure the surrender of Saddam's security forces and his army -- hard to imagine," he said. Wolfowitz also argues that the Kurdish northern third of Iraq had been liberated from Saddam after the Gulf War and that the area had stayed relatively stable without the presence of U.S. troops.
Source:Timeline
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 11:04 am
That's very interesting material, mesquite!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 11:24 am
That's the beauty of hindsight folks.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 11:25 am
Thanks old europe. Did you check the links?

More here.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 01:26 pm
It appears woiyo is having a problem separating foresight from hindsight.
0 Replies