Fend Off Dementia with Sex, Crosswords and a Run

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 07:26 am
Quote:
CANBERRA (Reuters) - Sex, cryptic crosswords and a good run could help ward off dementia and other degenerative conditions by stimulating new brain cells, an Australian researcher said Thursday.

Perry Bartlett, a professor at the University of Queensland's Brain Institute, said mental and physical exercise helped create and nurture new nerve cells in the brain, keeping it functional and warding off diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

"Perhaps one should run a long distance and do the cryptic crossword, " Bartlett told Australian radio.

He said a chemical called prolactin appeared to promote new cells in the brain and could be found in high levels in pregnant women.

"Prolactin levels also go up during sex as well. So one could think of a number of more entertaining activities than running in order to regulate the production of nerve cells," Bartlett said.

Link

Now if we could find a way to have sex while running and doing the crossword puzzles, maybe we'd be on to something!

Seriously though, I have always considered news like this to be a "chicken and egg" situation. Are older people healthier, and more neurologically sound, because they are more active, or are they active because they are physically and mentally healthier? Where is motivation involved? A person who has characteristically been passive in his entire life, would not likely become active in his older years.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,430 • Replies: 8
No top replies

George

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 11:38 am
I had a good response to this.
But I forgot it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 12:50 pm
Maybe dememtia fends off running and crosswords? I'd like to have something to look forward to.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 12:51 pm
One of my college classmates--Phi Beta, active hiker and conservationist died of Alzheimer's. She was in her early 50's.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:06 pm
Ah, but did she do her daily crossword puzzle?
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:08 pm
I run several times a week.
I do the crossword in the Boston Sunday Globe every week.
...and aaah...
Well, two out of three ain't bad.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:19 pm
funny Phoenix. I was just contemplating perambulating after my husband told me to take a hike. Sooooooo. I sat down and did the remainder of an old New York Times puzzle. Razz

Seriously, I really believe writing helps to keep the grey cells functioning, and the mind at the peak of imagination.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:22 pm
Does running to the bathroom to masturbate over the Victoria's Secret ads in the NY Times count?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 07:55 pm
Funny, Roger. Sorry about your friend, Noddy...
0 Replies