How do I lose weight

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:07 pm
Eat right and exercise regularly.
0 Replies

Pink dazie 13

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:11 pm
Overweight
I posted two posts ago.. i need help bad, not just eat better and excersise!

i have a gazel, im gona start using that for a hour a day... will that help me?

Also, i cannot pick what i want to eat! im only 13 and my parents stuff me full of whatever they are choosing to eat. i have already talked to them, but they really dont seem to do anything.

If i excersise, will i still lose weight but slower than normal?

what can i do basically,

i am a size 18/20 now and by the end of my school summer i want to become a size 14 or 12. is that possible in a matter of 3 months?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:17 pm
It is not possible to lose that much weight in so short a time and do it in a healthy way. If you starve yourself your metabolism will adjust and it will become harder to keep the weight off. Slow and steady is best.

You are old enough to say "no thank you" when the food is passed around. Measure out what you eat. Remember your stomach is about as big as your fist. You do not have to eat large amounts of food to be full, eat slowly. No white carbs or fatty fats. Stick to big salads, fish, lean chicken, a little dairy (low-fat cheese), plus nuts and fruit for snacks.

Exercise of any kind is good. It all burns calories. However, make sure you enjoy it or you won't do it. Just a good quick walk is good. You should easily be able to walk a fast couple of miles each day. Try and get a friend to go with you, you will keep each other motivated.
0 Replies

Pink dazie 13

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:48 pm
Ok, but wait
Well, you know how people can be addicted to soda, well, im the opposite... im adicted to milk! i crave it every day.. i have up to seven cups a day! what can i do to stop my crave?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:38 pm
Like Green Witch said, it's not healthy to loose so much weight in so short a time.

The best way to burn calories is aerobic exercise.

Just like GW said, walking, quick, brisk walking, is probably the most sensible exercise you can do.

Walk everywhere. Walk to school. Walk to your friends' houses. Walk to the mall. Just walk, walk, walk.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:41 pm
Milk is good, but seven cups a day is too much. Substitute some of those cups of milk for cups of tea or water.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 08:50 pm
Water down the milk as much as you can. Start by measuring out a cup and then add 1/4 cup of water. Every day add a little more water until you are drinking more water than milk. Milk addiction is the same as a sugar addiction, you have to wean yourself off of it or go "cold turkey". Also if you are drinking 7 cups of milk a day that is 700+ liquid calories. The purpose of cow milk is to make big fat calves. The easiest way to get your daily calorie count down is to get rid of the liquid calories. Switch to (decaf) iced teas (you can add a little milk to it, if you must). There are many flavored teas - try the fruity ones for a change of taste.
0 Replies

Pink dazie 13

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:11 pm
thanks
thanks for the advice! the watering of milk seems good... even though i only drink 1/2% as it is...hehehe Very Happy
0 Replies

T Fan2

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 05:32 pm
I have been reading these forums for the last couple of days and I decided I would join today. I have some advice for teenagers who want to lose weight. Im am a 13 year old female. About a month ago I decided i needed to change my life for the better by loosing weight(I was 150 with a hieght of 5'4). I made my own exersise and food journal. I now right down all the foods that I eat in there and set weekely goals for myself. Here is my goals for the next two weeks:
Run 20 minutes(I can only do 12 now)
Skip w/ skipping rope for 10 minutes(I can only do 5 right now)
Cut down on computer and TV time.
Ride bike for 15 minutes.

Then I also play extra sports with my sister and friends outside like soccer, basketball ect.
So far, a month of doing this I have lost 8 pounds(2 pounds per week)

If I complete my goals in the two weeks or less I buy myself a little something special like a CD or something. Or I take a nice long bubble bath, do my make-up and hair and go out with my friends to somewere I havnt been for a long time.

My Goals in all( to be done by November 9th)
-Be able to run 30 + minutes
-Skip 10+ min.
-Ride bike-20+mintes
Lose 20 pounds+
-Only go on the computer for 1 hour a day(only in the night)
and only watch 1 hour of TV a day(not counting night time TV)

Im pretty satisfied with my results so far Very Happy
0 Replies

shan

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 01:04 pm
Hey im 16yrs old and i need to know if im over weight. i weight 130pounds and im about 5feet3inches plz someone asnwer me
0 Replies

SneakyBeaky

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 02:44 pm
First of all, everyone's body is different; height and weight don't necessarily correspond to health. That's why the BMI charts are a guideline, nothing more.

A few other people recommended visiting a doctor. I would say this would be a great first step in the right direction. I don't like (to put it mildly) going to see doctors either, but if you're serious about changing your lifestyle, then it's something you should seriously do. If your parents don't want to take you, perhaps there's another close family member?

There's a lot of helpful advice on this thread; listen to it! It's not easy losing weight, getting fit, making changes, but stick with it; the benefits definitely offset all the hard work.

It can be discouraging hearing the same advice of eat right, exercise properly and the likes....but the reason it's heard so often is that it works. Takes plenty of time, patience, motivation, but it works.

And I also agree with working out with friends; it makes it much more enjoyable, much more likely for you to continue working out. Or get your parents/siblings to join in.

The only other thing I can really think of adding is about meals; if your parents are the ones cooking, why don't you help? You'll have more say of what gets put on the dinner table, maybe even some quality time with your parents? Also, having homemade dinners, instead of already prepared stuff, is in most cases, a lot healthier. You know what's in the meal, first off, and also, it takes a good amount of time. It's not like you can just sit down and start eating; you'll appreciate the food more. (besides helping with dinner, helping with grocery shopping = having healthier choices in the fridge).

Having a salad or a bowl of soup before dinner is a good idea too; fill up on something low calorie, so you'll be less likely to want seconds, more likely to take smaller portions.

*Phew* I always seem to write more than I intended to. I hope this was somewhat helpful and don't get discouraged.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 05:19 pm
Shan - read through this thread. In a few places a website has been posted in which you can factor in your age and height and it will tell you how much you should weigh. I refuse to post it again for teens who will not read.
0 Replies

chamjo 29

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 10:48 pm
Am I? If So... Help Me
K heres the deal..Im 13 and 125 (give or take a few) am i overweight im 5'1". I have flubber and i try to work out and i try to eat well but my problem is that i have a high metabolism. I need help because this year im going into high school. i see all my friends stomachs and i see all these pretty clothes that i love that would never work with my stomach. people say im pretty but if i understand boys like skin and bones. But i know what ur thinking who cares what boys think. well i know that but it makes me feel better about myself. i have noticed that i have been more grumpy and more like annoyed easier. and i want to stop....please help me

signed... Hopeless! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 10:27 pm
Re: Am I? If So... Help Me
chamjo_29 wrote:

K heres the deal..Im 13 and 125 (give or take a few) am i overweight im 5'1".

Barely overweight. Be active, eat wisely and you'll shape up just fine.

chamjo_29 wrote:
I have flubber and i try to work out and i try to eat well but my problem is that i have a high metabolism.

High metabolism means that your body will burn the fuel (food) you take in faster than the average Joe.

chamjo_29 wrote:
I need help because this year im going into high school. i see all my friends stomachs and i see all these pretty clothes that i love that would never work with my stomach.

So find clothes that look good on you. You wil never have your friend's stomach.
Hear me? Never.
She has it, and it was put there as "hers".
I have a friend who has the most amazing calves...I will never have them no mattter how hard I work at them. Genetics were good to him.
If I constantly compared myself to others, I'd never get what I want out of what I was given, biologically speaking.

chamjo_29 wrote:
people say im pretty but if i understand boys like skin and bones.

I'm a "boy" (a 30 year old one), and I don't like skin and bones.
Physically, I like a girl who is in shape, takes care of herself and feels good in her skin. Muscle tone is important to me. Thin is nice, but the crystal meth'd out look only works in photo shoots for D & G.

chamjo_29 wrote:
But i know what ur thinking who cares what boys think. well i know that but it makes me feel better about myself.

And therein lies your problem.
If your happiness is hinged upon which boy or how many boys like you, you are destined for failure in a relationship and in life.
I was once hunted by one of the top scouts for Ford models when I was younger...I appealed to many girls and women.
Well, I'm now 30, and I haven't seen Mr. Kelly Streit for a while. I don't suppose they want me anymore.....
Point being: You looks and sexual appeal will change over time. The quality and quantity of boys giving you attention will vary as well. Don't confuse basic attention with positive attention.
If you only feel good about yourself when a boy is staring at you, then when that appeal is gone, so is that good feeling.
You need much much more than that to find happiness, and you need something that will make you feel good when you look hot, or if you are physically maimed in a car accident.

chamjo_29 wrote:
i have noticed that i have been more grumpy and more like annoyed easier. and i want to stop....please help me

We can't help you with this.....
0 Replies

Bubbles4me

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 02:36 pm
okay I have tried to excercise like some aerobics but it's not really working what can I do?? Embarrassed
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 03:06 pm
Some good advice for 13-year-olds here but all I can tell any of you is what has worked for me.

Eat like the French, just smaller portions. Smaller portions than you are eating, obviously. Smaller portions of everything you eat. Eat veeeery slowly, say no thank you at mealtime with your parents. If you don't want to go to a doctor or engage your parents, just eat less, LESS.
It's better to eat 6 times a day than 3 big meals. Eat fruit between your skinny meals, eat mixed grain cereals for breakfast. Eat salads, vegs and a little meat at dinner. Just eat small, all day.

Exercise, lots of ways. At 13 I was a hot wire, never still, skinny as bones. Think active. But, some girls are rather voluptuous at 13. Gads, 13 is only 13, the worse age for a girl.

Whoever said set goals, write them down, is sooo right. Write down what you eat every day.

We have all been where you are. Good luck you kids, 13, ha, you have the rest of your life. Don't pay attention to anybody who says you are "fat." So what. And, don't get anorexia either, thinking there is something terribly wrong with puppy fat at 13. Really, there just isn't. But, still, cut down on your portions and exercise by having fun.
0 Replies

SkinnyB

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 01:23 pm
I make a lot of smoothies. It takes a while for your body to adjust, so give it a few weeks, but you should get there. Now's the time to do it as you're so young! I've been trying to lose weight since I was your age, and I'm now 20, and bigger than ever. But that's because I'm lazy Sad I'm getting on top of things now though, because I want to be nice and slim for my 21st!!! Sit up's, weight lifting (not heavy, bag of sugar type of weights) and walking twice a weeks for half an hour to an hour. Apparently if you exercise, it takes you body 20 minutes to get going, so work out for half an hour and you'll be ok. Cut out some of the wheat you eat, because that can bloat you, as can salt (that holds a tonne of water!) drink as much water as possible, that will help also, and get more fruit down you! I really hope you do well.

People say im pretty but if i understand boys like skin and bones.

As I've gotten older, I've noticed that the real boys like a bit of meat, because it's far more sexier and attractive than having your hip bones falling out. You'll get more respect from them as you're less likely to be seen as somebody that they can USE if you catch my drift. If you're pretty now, imagine what you'll look like when you're older-weight or no weight! When you have a beauty that is there no matter what, you're set life.

Good Luck! Beth xxx

(Feel free to PM if you need some more help x)
0 Replies

bluefin

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 09:35 am
Lose Weight
well try some exercises which will burn up your calories
walking, swimming and cyclinmg are really very good
follow a strict diet which will help you a lot
weight yourself every 3 days to see your progress
all the best to you
0 Replies

cutegurl

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 05:27 pm
help me
Laughing [/B]hey i am 13 and i don't even know wat i weight, but i should be around 150 pound and obviously that is not right for a 13 year old girl like me. Sad
Embarrassed i feel so shy to dress up where ever my friends are and i am not comfortable with my weight. i wish i can weight at least 110 pound and i want to loose safely without taken pills.
please if there is anyway i can loose weight, i don't care how it is but not taken pills, i'll do it, and i want it to be safe.
thanks for your help and concern. i love u. buh bye Very Happy
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2005 05:52 pm
Read all of this thread and if you still need more information read all of this "teen diet" thread"
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35752
0 Replies