How do I lose weight

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 07:58 pm
Hey to everyone,
How do I lose weight quick, I'm 13, female, and I weigh 171 Crying or Very sad ! I really don't think that is normal Evil or Very Mad for a 13 year old girl weight! I need to know a easy Smile diet plan and work Embarrassed out plan! Plz if a n-e 1 knows how to help Rolling Eyes me out, I really could use use it! Because I need to get to 103 :wink: , that is a normal weight for me!

Love always whitney stevens

hingehead

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 10:58 pm
Talk to a doctor first. Really. Any advice you get here won't be able to take into account your specific health needs.

Welcome to A2K Whitney
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:25 am
Yep, talk to your doctor before you do anything.

But the only way to lose weight is to eat low calorie foods like fruit and veg and a bit of meat.Combine that with excersise and you should lose weight.

Consuming too many calories a day and not burning them off will mean you put on weight.
Eat sensibly and your weight will remain constant.
Eat sensibly and exercise and you should lose weight.

We have a tv programme over here called 'You are what you eat' where people change there eating habits(its not a diet, they change the way they eat for life)they lose around 2 stone in 8 weeks.I stress it is not a fad diet, but healthy eating.
They showed an updated show yesterday, 8 months ago a guy weighed 20stone,now he weighs 15stone and looks amazing.

www.drgillianmckeith.co.uk is the 'you are what you eat' site.
0 Replies

Whitney 2009

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:06 pm
Thanx,
The only thing is , I don't wanna go to the docter! Like my mom would ever take me. Yes, i do now that I should eat alot of veg ond all that other food, and exercise! All I wanna do is lose weight safely with out using the docters help, because the doctr just makes me feel fatter! Plus what is the normal weight for an average 13 year old girl??But thanx to all of you who have replyed back to me! I really appreciate, but is there a safer way to lose weight without consulting the docter?? Question Question Question

Love alwayz, Whitney
husker

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:31 pm
how tall are you?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:46 pm
This is already in discussion - Check out the responses from Bella Dea & Slappy for the answers you need.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35752
0 Replies

netfool

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:14 pm
What works for me
First of all, get this into your head: There's no quick way that will last.
It takes a certain degree of disipline for awhile, until it becomes natural.
You need to learn to Balance.
If the above didn't scare you off, read on Very Happy

I'm 26. I'm 5'11. I weigh just under 170. I haven't weighed this little since the 7th or 8th grade.
About 2 months ago, when I weighed 190-195 (it changed a lot), I decided to make a change, and it was going to have to last. I couldn't do diets anymore, they never worked for me. Why? Because after I lost the weight, I would eat like I did before the diet and put the weight right back on. I had to dig deeper, and I knew it.

One day at Subway I picked up one of their little menus that lists the calories etc for all of their sandwiches, just out of curiosity. I was stunned to read that a 6 inch Club only has like 320 calories (plus it has like 20 or so grams of protein)! I thought to myself "I love their Club sandwiches! They're good, they fill you up, they're good for you! This is it, I've got to change my diet!".
The easy part for me to changing my diet was the fact that this Subway resturant is only a block from my office. So I figured I'd eat one Subway sandwich in the morning, sometime between 9am & 10am, and another around 2pm to 3pm. Limiting my calorie intake to below 700 calories a day.

I also started working out to complimet my new diet. I knew if I could limit my calories that much, without going home everyday and gorging myself with food, the weight would fall off. And it did, I lost 15-20 pounds in a matter of weeks. Then the wieght stopped falling off a couple weeks ago. I figured I must be building a lot of muscle mass, and I was right, because I'm really starting to see it now Very Happy.

One other thing that I think has really helped me is, if I go out to eat with some friends/family or there's some type of special occasion, I'll eat whatever I want, be it a nice big juicy steak (MMM!), cake, whatever. I figured this would be a wise choice for a few reasons. For one, it will help me not to get burned out on my regular eating habits. Two, I think it's good to have variety in your diet (whether the foods good or bad). It's just a matter of balance Very Happy

I hope this short story helps, or inspires you somehow. You CAN do it, but you have to change the way you eat, seriously. Find some good foods you like, make a little plan for yourself and stick to it.
Have patience, give it time, and I promise, the weight will come off. The reason I say "come off", instead of "fall off" is because most females don't lose wieght as easily as males. It's just the way most of us are built.
The reason I bring it up is because my older sister had a baby about 9 years ago and she's been struggling with her weight ever since. Now that she's seen the weight more or less fall off of me, I can tell she got a little discouraged because she works out so hard and it doesn't come off... she knows she needs to change her diet, but she won't, or, she doesn't know how I guess.

Oh, I really think if you let your mother know how much it bothered you, she may bring you to see the doctor. That really is the best route. If the doctor makes you feel fat, it's because YOU think you're fat. The doctor isn't doing it to you, YOU'RE doing it to you.
What I'm describing is working for a 26yr old guy. My guess is it should work for you to, but it's best you take the safest route.

SUMMARY:
- There's no quick way that lasts (repeat this in your head 10 times!)
- Disipline
- Balance
- Change the way you eat/diet
- Get active somehow, workout, play a sport , rollerskate (I have no idea what 13yr old girls do, sorry)
- A litte variety in your diet is ALRIGHT...the other 90% of the time you're sticking with your little diet plan.
- Have patience
- Don't become discouraged. If you give it an honest effort and nothing happens, try altering slightly or designing a new plan. People I know call me "Jared" (ie Jared from the Subway commercials) now because I tell them how I did/do it. I won't let them phase me.
- Please speak with a doctor, they know better than I. This is just what works for me.

Oh, I'd just like to note, I have no affiliation with Subway other then eating their sandwiches everyday.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 02:26 am
Good advice.Im nervous about going to doctors too, but they are there to help you.

I worked with a girl who was about 13yrs old(she didnt look it)I left that job and have seen her a few times since(she's about 18 now), she looked so much slimmer nad she said the weight just fell off.
It was a thing called 'puppy fat' which most people lose as they get older.
Dont forget your only 13.
I think you will benefit from learning how to eat properly now and it will help you in the future.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:56 am
Netfool - at limiting yourself to 700 calories you are putting your body into starvation mode. It will permanently slow down your metabolism and make it harder to keep weight off as you age. Your body needs double that in calories to function properly. Eating Subway is basically eating a high sodium, low fiber diet - not healthly in the long run. What you eat now will determine your health when you are middle aged.

MGirl- A 13 year old weighing 171 pounds has more than "puppy fat" (we call it "baby fat" in the US). Unless she is close to 5' 10'' tall she falls into the obese category and thus needs to lose weight with a sensible lifestyle plan.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:01 am
Green Witch, yep your right,I just meant to say it accounted for some of it.
Your also right about Netfool not taking in enough calories.
In order to lose weight you need to eat more/more often, just make sure its the right stuff.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:22 am
As many have said, there is no quick way to lose weight.
First of all get the word "diet" out of your head. Setting yourself on a "diet" is a great way to fail. I cheated on my "diet". I can't eat that, I'm on a "diet". Then, when you end up slipping, you feel bad about yourself and end up quitting your "diet" or go on a bender of starvation in order to "make up" for your failure.

The word, or words you need to focus on is lifestyle change. You need to change your eating habits and your exercise habits. Your body is growing still so cutting calories below what is recommended for a healthy diet is not an option. Eating better foods and not snacking on chips, cookies and soft drinks is an option.

I know you don't want to see a doctor but honestly, there isn't much other way to determine what is best for YOU. Your body is going to react differently than my body to food and exercise. I might be able to drop 10 lbs in 2 weeks (unlikely if done in a healthy manner) but it might take you twice as long. What so many people forget is that you are NOT in competition with anyone else and what someone else can do in 1 month you might not be able to do.

This is what I posted on an earlier thread and I stick to every word:
First let me say that anorexia and bulemia are at epidemic proportions in this country. Young girls are fervently concerned about their body shape and size and want to be a size 0. Well, guess what ladies? Being a woman means you are no longer a size 0, and if you are, you were either born with great genes or you work your ass off (literally) at getting there. Once you start to mature, fat begins to accumulate in places you'd rather not have it. It is in preperation for pregnancy. Do not think that you must be a size 0 to be beautiful! And I agree with whoever said, get thee off the scales! Weight means virtually nothing. If you look good, and feel good, who cares if you weigh more than you "think you should". Muscle does weigh more than fat. You do not need to be stick thin to look good. Ask nearly any man and they will tell you they like a woman with curves, not some stick figure who looks about to snap at one touch. All the women you see every day are not real. Even the sexiest and most beautiful super model is airbrushed and tweaked and pulled and taped and made up.

But don't get me wrong.....being overweight is just as dangerous as thinking you have to live up to magazine expectations.

Obesity is just as big of a problem. It is the number 2 (#2!!!!) preventable killer of adults in this country, second only to smoking! American's don't want to work for what they want: a healthy, trim body. I know because I don't want to eat right, avoid junk food and exercise regularly. The mentality "big is beautiful" IS just as dangerous as the "heroin chic" mentality. Being overweight causes undue stress on all of your organs and leads to so many diseases I won't begin to list them.

Everyone here has given you great advice. Eating right is the first step to getting fit. You may never be a size 0 or even a size 4. But you can look and feel your best.

You all asked for diets. Well, there is no one diet that will do what you want. You have to do what is right for your body. And eating good alone won't cut it. Even those pills they sell on tv (which I strongly advise against!!!) say in tiny print at the bottom "Results not typical. Use with diet and exercise program." Make it a habit to eat smaller portions. And eat frequently. Do cardio and strength training. If you don't lift a lot of weight, you won't get bulk but you will get nice toned muscles. DRINK LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER. Water is a natural flush. It has also been suggested that calcium helps speed up the metabolism. So ladies, drink your milk!

And remember that you are beautiful no matter what you look like. However, if you want to stay alive, you have to get healthy. Shewolf posted some links earlier on another thread and you might want to check them out. It gives you a healthy ideal weight range.

Good luck!!!!

BMI
Ideal Weight

Good Luck Whitney. This will not be an easy, quick fix but it will well be worth it when you have reached your goal. Each step you take, no matter how small, will be one closer to your goal and one you will look over your shoulder and be amazed at how far you've come!
0 Replies

pinkpants111

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 11:14 am
wow i loved what u wrote u really changed my life i know that sounded wierd but i don't even know u but thank u sooo much i loved what u wrote !!!! even thought this probally wasn't for me it still was great!
0 Replies

emma157

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 08:52 pm
am i overweight for my age?
i am 13 and i weigh almost 160 pounds. i want to lose weight so i will look good for the semi formal dance at the end of the year. i went shopping for my dress the other day and i got really selfconsious. i want to lose 42 pounds by next month so this really hot boy named myles will ask me to the dance but he likes my friend kayla he told me that he would probably go with me he said i had a pretty face but he didn't want to be seen with me in public and that i was to fat. that day i went home in school and cried! sometimes i think that if i didn't eat at all i would become thin but it hasn't worked i just get so hungry that after i haven't eaten for acouple of hours i stuff myself with food i get sick! my mom said that i am not overweight i am just chubby but i have been doing gymnastics for four years and last week my coach told me that if i didn't lose weight that they would kick me off the team and i wouldn't be able to compete anymore and im not bad at gymnastics im actually pretty good at it but i think if i lost about 50 pounds i would be even better! even if i do excersise and diet i always seem to gain more weight and i dont want to! since i have started gaining weight i have developed social anxiety. it has gotten worse lately and i think that is part of ther problem i just want to know if i am fat please some one tell me i need to know! and maby then i wont feel so bad about myself if i know that one person in the world doesn't think that i'm fat!
roger

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 09:06 pm
Emma, you just forget about 42 pounds by anytime like next month. That would be an incredibly dangerous diet. Find a few things you actually like and eat till you're satisfied. Don't eat till you are stuffed and uncomfortable. Snack between meals, again, with something acceptable. Carrots and celery may may make great snacks (I wouldn't know), but if they're not your thing either, find something else. Do not show up for dinner craving anything with calories.

I promise, this will work if you're patient. Be patient. You will see no change for about a month, and then start dropping from 1 to 3 pounds a week.

Sorry girl; no magic.
0 Replies

emma157

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 09:13 pm
ok i have been doing gymnastics for almost 4 years and that hasn't caused me to lose any weight! and i have tried diets and that hasnt worked for me! i have even tried starving myself like most of the girls at nauset middle school do but that didn't work either!!! and dont tell me that i dont work out enough because i go to gymnastics 4 hours a day 7 days a week and i work my but off to get a good score at a meet and i still haven't lost any weight and hauling my fat but over my head is NOT EASY!!! i do 4 backhandsprings in a row do you think thats easy to do when you are 160 pounds i don't think so!!!!!!!!!! so i have found that there is no easy way to lose weight!! i got so selfconsious about myself that i got anxiety!!!! so all im saying is dont be so selfconsious about yourself that you end up like me!!!!!!!!!!!! and i'm telling you that it is not fun haveing to take a big horse pill twice a day so if you really want to be healkthy dont be me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emily
0 Replies

emma157

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 09:16 pm
yah i9 know im not going to lose weight in one month and thank you for your help and the message below isnt for you its for someone else who was triing to find an easy way to lose weight!!

Emily
0 Replies

meme123

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 06:22 am
Nice that I can reply
Hi friend,
I'm really glad Very Happy (not because you have got a problem) Exclamation but because I've found someone that has got the same problem. I'm 14 years old and I'm about 5ft and 4 in. Are you taller or shorter than me Question ? I might help you. I've tried most of the diet plans. But infortunatly, it didn't work for me Sad Crying or Very sad ! Well, it will probably work with you :wink: . I'm 74+ kg that's about 148 lb. I'll promise to help. Pleeeeeeeeeeeese help me. I would be glad if we become friends and help each other to lose weight and look good Very Happy Smile .
Your new friend,
Meme
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 06:34 am
pinkpants111 wrote:
wow i loved what u wrote u really changed my life i know that sounded wierd but i don't even know u but thank u sooo much i loved what u wrote !!!! even thought this probally wasn't for me it still was great!

Who was this for?

If it was for me, you are welcome. Very Happy
0 Replies

pinkpants111

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 12:19 am
ya it was for u!!!!!
0 Replies

Pink dazie 13

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:03 pm
Help me
Hey Everyone,I need some help I am 13 years old and i am really over weight. i weigh 205 and i am 6ft tall. i know i am really tall, but still im over weight. i am not "fat", its just everyone in my house eats junk food and i cant help it. it all goes to my thighs and arms and stomach. as a child, i drank LOTs of milk and gave me really thick bones and muscles. i am trying to lose weight maybe just to get 50 lbds lighter since finding clothing in my size is hard. what can i do without going to a doctor?
0 Replies