XXX years ago....

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 04:34 am
Hi all, this ia quite an ambitious one for me and my english. I started to write those short, historical-based and quite introspective tales about one years ago on an Italian internet forum. I'm now trying to translate them with some help from my uncle and I wait for your judgement. Please fill free to be sincere and tell me they are all bullshit if you think so. Smile I will also include the original Italian tale, if you want to confront them.

3300 years ago: The spring dance

My legs are trembling, I'm cold even under the sun.

I look at my comrades, it is the first time for them too, do my legs tremble
? Am I so pale as they are ? I look for my teacher, she did it for years,
she smiles. Will I succeed ? It is not fear, but my body is still trembling,
my foot is uncertain. I adjust my short skirt, as I already did a thousand
times: it must not encumber me, the sun is so high… the crowd shouts, the
first dancer is already out, where is my saliva ? My hand grazes my naked
breast…. My turn. Warm and shining the sun embraces me, the crowd still
shouts but I'm not hearing anymore. I see it, the powerful and invincible
image of the goddess stares at me, but also powerful, invincible, the energy
flows again within me, I feel the fierce harmony of the earth and I run,
run, my spring's dance, the sky, the shining sun, everything enters in me,
making me stronger and stronger, while my legs graze the ground and throw me
up, my hands grab powerful muscles and I start flying, flying, worshipping
the goddess.

Historical note: The bull dance was, with any evidence, a religious
ceremony, tied to the beginning of spring, a rite with meaning tied to
fertility. It seems that mainly young virgins did it, young clerics of the
goddess named Demeter in Greece, Isis in Egypt, Ishtar in Babylon. Young
ladies in Crete seemed to have great freedom; many scientists agree that the
traditional Cretan shirt was little more than a short skirt, both for woman
and for men.

http://info.supereva.it/latinovivo/QuartaB/B30grosso.jpg

Original Tale

3300 anni fa...

Le gambe tremano, ho freddo anche sotto al sole.

Guardo le mie compagne, anche per loro è la prima volta, mi tremano le gambe? Anche io sono pallida come loro? Cerco la mia maestra, lei lo ha fatto per anni, mi sorride. Ce la farò? Non è paura la mia, ma il mio corpo trema, il mio passo è incerto. Sistemo il pareo per la millesima volta: non deve intralciarmi, il sole è alto. La folla urla, già la prima danzatrice è uscita, dov'è la mia saliva? la mia mano tremante sfiora il seno nudo.... Tocca a me. Caldo e luminoso il sole mi avvolge, la folla urla ancora ma non la sento più. Lo vedo, l'immagine della Dea, possente ed invincibile mi fissa, ma possente ed invincibile l'energia scorre di nuovo in me, sento feroce l'armonia della terra e corro, corro, la danza della primavera, il cielo ed il sole brillante, tutto entra in me e mi da forza, mentre le mie gambe sfiorano il terreno e mi lanciano in alto, le mie mani afferrano muscoli potenti ed inizio a volare, volare, in onore della Dea.

Nota storica: La danza dei tori era con tutta probabilità una cerimonia religiosa legata all'inizio della primavera, un rito con significati legati alla fertilità. A praticarla erano prevalentemente fanciulle vergini, giovani sacerdotesse della Dea che in grecia era Demetra, in Egitto Iside, a Babilonia Ishtar. Le fanciulle a Creta godevano di grande libertà, secondo molti studiosi il costume cretese era poco più di un semplice gonnellino, sia per gli uomini che per le donne
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,746 • Replies: 16
No top replies

totos571

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 04:26 pm
That's great Raphillon! Very Happy Bravo!!!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 04:48 pm
I like it too!
Your english translations is flowing nicely with the story.
Congratulations! Smile
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 05:29 pm
But don't you mean MMMCCC years ago? (Not XXX -- that's just 30!)
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 05:48 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
But don't you mean MMMCCC years ago? (Not XXX -- that's just 30!)

Thanks to everybody Smile

the meaning of XXX is an unspecified amount of time, there should be a fourth "X", actually because you should imagine a number in place of each "X"

XXXX=3300

The original Italian thread counts about a dozen of this short tales, written in no particular order, I plan to translate them all one by one and put them here.

I will translate only mine, anyway. I don't dare to put my hands on another guy's works.... Smile
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 02:22 am
This is the next one, you could notice a difference between the Italian and English title, this is due to the fact that the original was written more than one year ago...

1926 years ago…

Sweet goddess, protecting this house, the earth quaked again today. We don't care anymore: quakes are becoming weaker and weaker, after all and earthquakes are not so rare in this beautiful and vexed land. My land, Junia's and mine. She will become my wife soon, with your help. I saw her dancing yesterday, innocent and sweet in the house of my friend, Terentio Neo.

I love her with all my heart, sweet goddess, give her any gift for the rest of our lives.

Young Aulo stood up and smiled, after that concerned prayer he felt surer than he ever was. He hailed his little sister Terentia with a quick greeting and went out, to the date with his beloved. Earth quaked again but the young guy wasn't scared, even if a corner of his mind told him that if quakes where weaker and weaker they where also more and more frequent…..

But would you seriously believe that geography, history, politics and nature could possibly compete with the face of your loved girl?, with the argentine sound of her "yes"? with the sweet taste of her kiss or with the warm feeling of her hug?

Then everything stops, the earth quakes again, the sky darkens and Aulo and Junia turn to the hill and with their heart trapped between love and fear they see it explode in a thousand scraps….

Historic note: In 79 AD the shape of mount vesuvius was very different from actual. There was only, according to descriptions, just a little, step, green hill, of which the mount soma is the only remaining fragment. The eruption occurred in 79 AD has been judged one of the most powerful of the violent volcano. According to the testimonies the mountain was literally cut in half and the burning cloud that resulted killed any breathing thing in about ten Km ray. Ashes then covered everything, preserving all until our days….

Fresco from the house of terentio neo, Pompeii
http://www.archart.it/archart/italia/campania/pompei/Terenzio_Neo/pict136.JPG

Original tale

1925 anni fa...

Gentile Dea che proteggi questa casa, anche oggi la terra ha tremato. Oramai non ce ne preoccupiamo più: le scosse sono sempre di minore intensità, dopotutto, e i terremoti non sono così infrequenti in questa terra tormentata e bellissima. La mia terra, mia e di junia, che col tuo aiuto diventerà mia moglie presto. Ieri l'ho vista danzare, spensierata e dolce nella casa del mio amico Terenzio Neo.

L'amo con tutto il cuore mia dolce Dea, concedi a lei ogni dono per tutto il resto della nostra vita.

Il giovane Aulo si alzò e sorrise, dopo l'accorata preghiera si sentiva più sicuro che mai. Salutò con un gesto Terenzia, la sua giovane sorellina e uscì, verso l'appuntamento con la sua amata. La terra tremò ancora, ma il giovane non si spaventò, anche se un angolo della sua mente registrò il fatto che le scosse erano sì meno intense, ma più frequenti....

Ma come volete che geografia, storia, politica e natura possano tenere il confronto col volto della persona amata? Col suono cristallino del suo "si", con il dolce sapore dei suoi baci o col caldo tepore del suo abbraccio...

Poi tutto si ferma e la terra trema ancora, il cielo si oscura e Aulo e Julia, ancora abbracciati si voltano verso il monte e, con il cuore chiuso fra amore e paura, lo vedono esplodere in mille frammenti.

Nota storica: Nel 79 DC la forma del vesuvio era assai diversa dall'attuale. Esisteva, secondo le descrizioni, solo una ripida collinetta verde, di cui il monte somma è l'unico frammento rimasto. L'eruzione del 79 è valutata come una delle più spaventose del violento vulcano. Stando alle testimonianze, metà della montagna saltò letteralmente per area e la nube ardente che si formò uccise per soffocamento qualsiasi cosa respirasse nel raggio di decine di chilometri. Le ceneri ricoprirono ogni cosa e preservarono il tutto fino ai giorni nostri
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 09:44 am
This is the third one, the first dedicated to an Historical figure Smile

2648 Years ago: The curly farmer

My hoe draws an arch after another in this sweet spring. Slow but straight a groove is forming on my field. In the sweet heat of an afternoon, lazy for the white robes of the senate but full of work for me I remove a curl from my face, thinking to the simple dinner awaiting for me: spelt and honey, profusely dressed with the love of my wife and the sweet smile of my daughter. I'm thinking to the senators and their speeches telling me of the world, I smile: My world is in this field, in it's smell of good land and my most noble struggle is the one against the bad weed, for what is nobler then the struggle for life? Is there something nobler then create food, heat, health with your very hands? They call me noble, they call me hero, but I'm just a defender. I defend my land from weed, my cow from wolves, my family from starving. All in all the field is now back in shape, as far as I can see…

Savage foots dressed by sandals violated it's border last spring when they came with fasces to bring me "A great honour" they said, ruining my field. And so I leaved, they called me "Lucius Quintius" for about two weeks, I leaded an army, I had to. They never understood I was still defending my field from weed, my family from animals. And I saw their astonished faces at my refusal, fools! What's strange when a defender refuses dictatorship?

Where's the surprise if I return to my struggle in my world? Where's the surprise if I here have my name, that awards me more than anything else, the one pronounced from the argentine voice of my daughter or the one full of passion of my wife. What I was, what I am, what I will ever be, now and forever: Cincinnatus

Historical note: Cincinnatus is an almost mythical figure of the first years in Rome's history. It's surname means "curly". When he was young he become consul, but retired to privacy, becoming a farmer. Around 460 BC he was elected dictator to face the menace of the Aequians, about to defeat the troops of the consul Lucius Minucius. Once the war was over after just a few weeks, Cincinnatus gave up dictatorship and went back to his field.

And this is the original tale....

2468 anni fa

La mia zappa disegna un arco dopo l'altro in questa dolce primavera, lento il solco va formandosi nel mio campo. Nel tepore di un pomeriggio che per le tuniche bianche del senato è pigro, ma per me denso di lavoro mi scosto un ricciolo dalla fronte, pregustando la semplice cena che mi aspetta: farro e miele, abbondantemente conditi dall'amore di mia moglie e dal dolce sorriso di mia figlia. Penso ai senatori ed ai loro discorsi che parlano del mondo e sorrido: il mio mondo è in questo campo, nel suo odore di terra buona e la mia più nobile guerra risiede nella lotta contro le erbacce, perché che cosa c'è di più bello della lotta per la vita? Esiste forse qualcosa di più nobile che creare cibo, calore, benessere con le tue stesse mani? mi chiamano nobile, mi chiamano eroe, ma io difendo e basta. Difendo la mia terra dalle erbacce, le mie vacche dai lupi, la mia famiglia dalla fame. Ed alla fine il campo si è ripreso bene, mi sembra....

Selvaggi piedi ornati di coturno ne hanno violato i confini la scorsa stagione quando sono venuti coi fasci littori a consegnarmi "un grande onore" mi hanno detto, rovinandomi le messi. Ed io sono partito, mi hanno chiamato Lucio Quinzio per due settimane, ho comandato un esercito, dovevo. Non hanno mai capito che anche allora stavo difendendo il mio orto dalle erbacce e la mia famiglia dalle belve. Ed ho contemplato le loro facce attonite al mio rifiuto, sciocchi! Che c'è di strano se un difensore rifiuta la dittatura?

Quale sorpresa mai può esserci se torno alla mia battaglia nel mio mondo? Quale sorpresa se qui ho il mio nome, che mi onora più di ogni cosa, quello pronunciato dalla voce squillante di mia figlia o da quella piena di passione di mia moglie. Quello che ero, quello che sono quello che sarò ora e sempre: Cincinnato.

Nota storica: Cincinnato è una figura quasi mitica dei primi anni della storia di Roma. Il suo soprannome significa "riccioluto". In gioventù era stato console, ma si era poi ritirato a vita privata, dedicandosi a coltivare un suo podere. Intorno al 460 AC fu nominato dittatore per contrastare la minaccia degli Equi, che assediavano le truppe del console Lucio minucio. Risolta la situazione con una guerra di sole due settimane, Cincinnato rinunciò alla dittatura e tornò a coltivare il suo podere
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:00 pm
Veramente bravo Raphillon!

Even if the texts are fluidily read in English, they're much, much better in the original Italian.

I particularly enjoyed #1 and 2 (and they would be perfect works of art without the historical note: the mosaics tell it all).

Dio! Pompei è straordinaria!
(parlo forse al dio dei terremoti)
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 04:32 pm
fbaezer wrote:
Veramente bravo Raphillon!

Even if the texts are fluidily read in English, they're much, much better in the original Italian.

I particularly enjoyed #1 and 2 (and they would be perfect works of art without the historical note: the mosaics tell it all).

Dio! Pompei è straordinaria!
(parlo forse al dio dei terremoti)

Grazie, Fbaezer Very Happy

The task of translating those little stories really put my english to a test Smile
Mi fa molto piacere che possiate leggerli anche in Italiano.

And... yes, Pompeii is beautiful, a daydream, I consider myself lucky to live so close to so many beautiful cities Smile
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 04:33 pm
The second text reminded me of this poem by José Emilio Pacheco (it's in Spanish, but this is the foreign language forum Wink )

Pompeya

Qui sul'arida schiena
Del formidabil monte
Sterminator Vesevo

Giacomo Leopardi, La ginestra

La tempestad de fuego nos sorprendió en el acto
de la copulación.
No fuimos muertos por el río de lava.
Nos ahogaron los gases; la ceniza
nos sirvió de sudario. Nuestros cuerpos
continuaron unidos en la roca:
petrificado espasmo interminable.
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 04:50 pm
Nice!

It always surprises me how even if I never studied spanish I can often read and understand it! And appreciate the poetry, as well Smile

Ah and of course Leopardi Very Happy
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Fri 6 May, 2005 03:06 am
513 Years ago… a dangerous journey

Is this my punishment? Dammed to die in this sea… Didn't see anything but endless water for log days. And this dead calm…. Soon we will hear the great falls roaring and we will fall directly in the waiting arms of Satan, this is the destiny of the fools who dare challenging God. Or if our Lord will be merciful a monster will rise from the eternal abyss and will devour those 3 little nutshells we had the arrogance to bring over His dominions. Was my sin really so grave? I robbed for my childrens, little mouths I had to fill. I had hope in the pity of mankind when they freed me to follow this Italian fool "Admiral of the ocean" Puah! Whatever will be I don't care anymore…. What is the lookout shouting? You too, foul why are you shouting? "Land"? Where do you think the land could be in this wet hell?

Then I turn and I see it, wonderful and green like a rising hope. Thanks to my Lord… San Salvador…

Historical note: Very few of Colombo's first voyage followers where really sailors. Since there where serious difficulties to find volunteers Queen Isabel authorized the Italian sailor to bring with him some common criminals, promising forgiveness for their crimes. Ignorant, unfaithful, poor mans, common criminals, those people though they where mostly illiterates where nevertheless able to sign one of the most important pages in human history…

And here's the original Smile

512 anni fa....

Dunque fino a questo è arrivata la mia punizione? condannato a morire in questo mare.... Da lunghi giorni non veder altro che acqua senza fine. E la bonaccia.... Da un momento all'altro sentiremo tuonare le grandi cascate e precipiteremo fra le braccia avide di Satana, la sorte dei pazzi uomini che sfidano Dio. Oppure se il creatore avrà pietà di noi un mostro sorgerà dagli abissi eterni e divorerà questi 3 piccoli gusci che abbiamo con arroganza portato sui suoi domini. Il mio peccato era così grave, dunque? Ho rubato per i miei figli, bocche da sfamare, ho sperato nella pietà degli uomini quando mi hanno liberato per seguire questo pazzo Italiano "ammiraglio del mare oceano" Puah! sia quel che sia non mi importa più... Cosa grida la vedetta? Pazzo anche tu che urli a fare? "Terra"? Dove vuoi che sia la terra in questo inferno.

E poi mi volto e la vedo meravigliosa e verde come la speranza che rinasce. Grazie al mio signore Iddio... San Salvador...

Nota storica: Pochissimi furono i marinai di carriera che seguirono Colombo nel suo primo viaggio. Data la difficoltà a trovarne Isabella di Castiglia autorizzò il Genovese a prendere criminali comuni, attirandoli con l'amnistia. Ignoranti, sfiduciati, pezzenti, delinquenti comuni, queste persone, senza saper leggere nè scrivere firmarono una delle più importanti pagine della storia.....
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 08:54 am
Kindo butai, first mobile group… my "Zero" pulsates under me, along with my own heart, we are as one, a single machine, serving the emperor. I fought well to deserve this honour, in China, Indochina, Manchuria and now, as my admiral Nagumo told us this morning, we are ready to face our most dreaded foe. We, the tiger, against the American dragon. Here their ships and my chief is ordering the assault…. BANZAI!

****, what a scold! Ok, I know it's dawn, but the captain had no right to be angry about… After all I woke him up because I thought it was important… Ok back to my place…. My God they are hundred!! This are definitely not friendly contact. ****! CAPTAIN! CAPTAIN!

I graze my cloche and the aircraft dives in the sky, no resistance…. Are those the dreaded Americans? Their ships are going down one after another here is the biggest… battleship "Arizona" one of their countries, I believe. I throw my bomb, the big ship trembles and sinks! Nothing will ever stop us, we are unbeatable!

TORA!
TORA!
TORA!!!!

Historical note:

At 7:55, December, 7th 1941, 189 Japanese aircrafts, lifted off from the 6 carriers of the "Kindo butai" under the command of the admiral Nagumo attacked and surprised the American ships in the naval base of pearl harbour. The Japanese group, which included "zero" fighters and "Kate" bombers sank 8 big battleships and several minor ships. The Japanese war declaration wasn't delivered yet… It was the first step for America in world war 2. The remains of the "Arizona" are now a museum, in pearl harbour base...

And this is the original...

63 anni fa......

Natale si avvicina, se Dio vuole me la concederanno 'sta benedetta licenza. Sono tempi strani, mi hanno detto che in Europa gli inglesi non se la passano bene... L'anno scorso la Francia è caduta, sta andando tutto alla malora ed io qui a guardare questo maledetto schermo inventato da un folle un anno fa... noia, ancora noia..... Jenny mi starà pensando ancora? Spero finisca presto il mio turno, diamine stamattina dovrebbero arrivare dei rifornimenti aerei, ma finora nessuna traccia. Silenzio radio.... stupida cosa, il mio amico Johnny si che se la spassa, in giro con l'Enterprise, che nave, quella! Uhm... aerei.... che siano i rifornimenti che aspettiamo? Si, ma..... quante traccie sono? 20 30 e aumentano ancora...... forse è il caso che io chiami il capitano....

Kindo butai, il primo gruppo mobile.... Sotto di me il mio "Zero" vibra, insieme al mio cuore, siamo una cosa sola io e lui, una sola macchina a servizio dell'imperatore. Ho combattuto bene per meritare questo onore, in cina in indicina, in manchuria ed ora, come l'ammiraglio Nagumo ha detto stamattina, siamo pronti ad affrontare il nostro nemico più forte.Noi, la Tigre, contro il Drago americano, ecco vedo le loro navi ed il mio capo squadriglia che segnala l'attacco..... BANZAI!

Accidenti che lavata di capo, capisco che è l'alba, ma il capitano ha esagerato ad infuriarsi... L'ho svegliato perchè mi sembrava importante... torno al mio posto e..... mio dio, ma sono centinaia! Questi non possono essere i nostri, CAPITANO! CAPITANO!

Sfioro la leva della cloche e l'aereo si tuffa nel cielo, non c'è resistenza.... tutto qui i temuti Americani? Le loro navi vanno giù una dopo l'altra eccola la più grande, la corazzata "Arizona" uno dei loro stati, credo. Sgancio la mia bomba, la nave sussulta ed affonda! Nulla ci fermerà mai, siamo invincibili

TORA!
TORA!
TORA!!!!

Nota storica: Alle 7:55 del 7 Dicembre1941, 189 aerei giapponesi, decollati dalle 6 navi del "Kindo Butai" comandato dall'ammiraglio Nagumo attaccarono a sorpresa le navi Americane nella base di Pearl Harbour. La formazione Giapponese, comprendente caccia "zero" e bombardieri "kate" affondò o danneggiò gravemente 8 grandi corazzate e diversi incrociatori. La dichiarazione di guerra del Giappone, non era ancora stata recapitata... Fu l'inizio della seconda guerra mondiale per gli Americani. Il relitto dell' "Arizona" è ora un museo visitabile nella base navale di Pearl Harbour.....
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 12 May, 2005 04:52 pm
Belle, entrambe.

I liked the Columbus one much better. The US/Japan one has some corny Hollywood resonance and lacks the sense of destiny fulfilled all the others have.
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 06:27 am
fbaezer wrote:
Belle, entrambe.

I liked the Columbus one much better. The US/Japan one has some corny Hollywood resonance and lacks the sense of destiny fulfilled all the others have.

Thanks for your feedback, Fbaezer.

I know what you mean, too many films have somewhat covered history about Pearl Harbour, making it a moundane event.... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 06:31 am
But eventually the dragon stopped the tiger, didn't he? And he stopped her roaring it's flames, flames still burning and devouring bodies and souls….

http://pegasus.phys.saga-u.ac.jp/imagesMac-PC/ForPEACE/bomb1.jpg

History has a thousand of those turns empire rises, shine and crumble to dust. All the "invincible" war machine sooner or later are destroyed even the dragon could be defeated one day…

5.000 years ago

Desert sings and speaks to me, a language of hot sand and air and mouses and spiders and scorpions…. My lord knows this language, he claims it even in his name: Menes, the scorpion king…. Life that in the desert flourishes and destroys his enemies with his sting… We are the sting, his army, his people. Here in this little island between sand and river in this new city, in this corner of the world that rises for mankind we build the future, because you, noble stone, you shall be eternal and mans will settle in you, will honour Gods and flourish forever in your arms, Memphis…

But every "eternal" thing has an end and remains in ancient memories in legends or in a photo of a young tourist in a very small oasis in the desert that was once the bigger and more modern capital of the world…

http://touregypt.net/memphis3.jpg

Historical note: Life and acts of Menes, the first pharaoh of the first dynasty are surrounded by the fog of the myth -it was still almost prehistory- . in 3.000 BC Egyptian still didn't know writing and what we know is mostly due to the chronicles Ramses ordered to write…. 1800 years after and a few archaeological evidences showing us a number of semi-primitive drawings of the "scorpion king". From chronicles we know the name of this very first pharaoh was Menes and that he build Memphis, capital of Egypt for all the ancient kingdom. The great Oasis is now very smaller an is kept alive from tourism. Under a few palms there are still the ruins of one of the most ancient stone cities in the world…

And here is the original tale

Si, ma poi il drago fermò la tigre e lo fece nel modo peggiore, vomitando fiamme che ancora non si sono spente del tutto...

La storia ha mille pieghe come questa, gli imperi sorgono, prosperano ed imputridiscono, diventando polvere e tutte le "invincibili" macchine da guerra prima o poi vengono distrutte anche il drago verrà sconfitto prima o poi...

5.000 anni fa.

Il deserto canta e mi parla, un idioma di sabbia rovente e calore e vita etopi e ragni e scorpioni.... Il mio signore conosce questa lingua, la annuncia nel suo nome: Menes, il re scorpione.... La vita che nel deserto prospera e distrugge i nemici col suo pungiglione.... Il pungiglione siamo noi, il suo esercito, la sua gente. E qui in quest' isola, tra sabbia e fiume, in questa città nuova in questo angolo di mondo che nasce per gli uomini noi costruiamo il futuro. Si, perchè tu, nobile pietra, sarai eterna ed eterni gli uomini ti abiteranno, onoreranno gli dei e prospereranno per sempre, fra le tue braccia, Memphis...

Ma ogni cosa "eterna" giunge al termine, rimane nel ricordo, nella leggenda o nella foto di una giovane turista in una piccolissima oasi del deserto, che un tempo era la più grande e moderna capitale del mondo....

Nota storica: La vita e le opere di Menes, primo faraone della prima dinastia sono avvolte nelle nebbie del mito, in quella che è ancora quasi preistoria. Nel 3000 AC gli Egiziani non conoscevano scrittura, quello che sappiamo lo dobbiamo in larga parte alle cronache che Ramses fece fare..... 1800 anni dopo, integrate tuttavia dalle prove archeologiche che ci mostrano numerosi pittogrammi semipreistorici del "re scorpione", dalle cronache sappiamo che il nome di questo primo faraone era Menes e che fu lui a fondare Memphis, capitale dell'egitto per tutto il regno antico. La grande oasi si è oggi ridotta immensamente ed è tenuta in vita dal turismo, sotto poche palme ci sono i reperti di una delle più antiche città di pietra del mondo....
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 04:20 am
3250 years ago…

The sea always instigates strange emotions in me… A sky, an horizon to follow, a battle… Tears and blood, sweat in a bronze armor, cries of dying people, profanations and wars, victories and defeats of mans I call friends or enemies according to the colour of their helmet… And this silence roaring in my ears during the come back…. They call me smart, they call me brave… If I really was I would leave the shores of my land for the only reason that really deserves it: the voyage itself. Isn't it the reason for life itself? A thousand illusion in our times: war, peace, our family, my wife, my children, my herd, my reign, my honour… A thousand lies to hide the only truth: the only reason to live is life itself…. Neverending diversities in neverending continuities, an island after another and a voyage that goes on, a voyage whose meaning is in itself, because who says that "to go is a little dying" lies. To go is to live, it is when we reach our goal that we die… Until the next voyage, until the next Troy, until the next Itaca….

Historical note: We can hardly define Ulixes as an historical figure, even if, probably, the war of Troy is not completely a legend… Where, how and when is still matter of discussion. Nevertheless even if he is not an historical one, Ulixes is a fascinating figure, who went along with the history of literature, from Dante to Joyce, from Omerus to Lucio Dalla. Ulixes is the man at is best, for the research of knowledge, for the will for adventure that has brought us to the moon, that will bring us even further in a voyage, I hope, that will never end.

And this is the original...

3250 Anni fa....

Il mare suscita sempre strane emozioni in me... Un cielo, un orizzonte da seguire, una battaglia.... Lacrime e sangue, sudore nella corazza di bronzo, urla di gente che muore, saccheggi e guerre, vittorie e sconfitte di uomini che chiamo fratelli o nemici a seconda del colore del loro cimiero.... E questo silenzio che esplode nelle mie orecchie nel viaggio di ritorno... Mi chiamano astuto, mi chiamano coraggioso.... Se lo fossi veramente lascerei le sponde della mia terra per il solo motivo che valga veramente: il viaggio stesso. Non è questa anche la ragione della vita? Le mille illusioni del nostro tempo... La guerra, la pace, la nostra famiglia, mia moglie, mio figlio, le mie greggi, il mio regno, il mio onore.... Mille falsità per nascondere una verità sola: l'unica vera ragione per vivere è la vita stessa.... infinite varietà in infinite continuità, un'isola dopo l'altra ed un viaggio che continua, un viaggio che ha fine in se perchè chi dice che "partire è un po' morire" mente. Partire è vivere, è quando raggiungiamo la meta che moriamo.... fino al prossimo viaggio, fino alla prossima Troia, fino alla prossima Itaca....

Nota storica: Ulisse non si può davvero definire personaggio storico: anche se con ogni probabilità una guerra di Troia ci deve essere davvero stata, dove, come e quando sia avvenuta è tuttora materia di discussione. Tuttavia pur senza essere un personaggio storico Ulisse è senz'altro una figura affascinante che ha affiancato la storia della letteratura, da Dante a Joice, da Omero a Lucio Dalla. Ulisse rappresenta l'uomo nella sua parte migliore, nella ricerca della conoscenza, nello spirito di avventura che ci ha portato sulla luna, che ci porterà ancora oltre, per un viaggio che, speriamo, non finirà mai.
0 Replies