Learning two foreign languages in the same time?

mme269

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 06:23 pm
My question is:
Could I begin learning two foreign languages (e.g. French and German)
in the same time? Or it's better to begin with one and let the other for later?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,099 • Replies: 12
No top replies

material girl

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 08:08 am
Id love to learn Japanese,Italian and Spanish.
I thought about learning it at athe same time but sentence structure may vary so may get complicated.
I reckon it would be ok to learn vocabulary at the same time, eg a word a day.Pick a word in english then memorise the words in your other chosen languages.
0 Replies

AjiniANL

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 06:53 am
Hey mm269....
You know i am 21..i know 5 languages
I learned German and french both time on the smae semester..its not that hard...You just have to like them both in different way...then u can focus and learn quickly!
0 Replies

hadaji

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:14 am
Hi Ajini@NL

Give me some advice about learning language. I found there is a gap, when you learn a period of time.If you cross it ,you will find learning foreign language is easy.
otherwise it is very hard!!
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 10:55 pm
I've been considering taking french and spanish lessons at the same time and I wonder the same. I have a friend who learned english and spanish simultaneously and he does an excellent job in both languages. I don't know any french and I will have to start from zero but I know intermediate spanish, besides it is very similar to my mother language (portuguese). So I think I'll be okay.

I teach english as a second language and I speak portuguese on my daily life. I guess it will be complicated to deal with all of it at once, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I just need to find some time to get my busy butt down to the Alliance Française and sign up for classes.
0 Replies

AjiniANL

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 05:23 pm
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Ajini@NL

Give me some advice about learning language. I found there is a gap, when you learn a period of time.If you cross it ,you will find learning foreign language is easy.
otherwise it is very hard!!

Hey...ya true..what u said.Every person is different aight?
so they all have their own styles of learnin.Just...be positive hadajiThink that u can do it...u will suceed.Be yourself who else is qualified? :wink:
0 Replies

hadaji

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:38 pm
thanks Ajini@NL ! Hey... confidence is most important.
Now i know what i should do~~~~~
0 Replies

AjiniANL

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 06:23 am
No Problem...hadaji

Good luck
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 12:47 am
Re: Learning two foreign languages in the same time?
mme269 wrote:
My question is:
Could I begin learning two foreign languages (e.g. French and German)
in the same time? Or it's better to begin with one and let the other for later?

MME, I used to teach foreign languages. You need to ask yourself, first, do you have a talent for languages? Bec. if so, you shouldn't have too hard a time. If not, you're asking for trouble; you'd be better off studying just French for the time being (grammatically, French is a lot easier than German, and vocabulary cognates are also more abundant).

Good luck with it! :wink:
0 Replies

Radical Edward

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 02:48 pm
I learned German and English at the same time (at school in France), and now I totally forgot my German (oops!), but I think that if I had tried harder (and trained after I finished school) I could have kept it...
I wanted to know... What's the main foreign language you guys (english speakers) learn at school? In France, we always learn 2 foreign languages, usually English + spanish, German or Italian.
0 Replies

littlelefty7

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 06:46 pm
Radical Edward wrote:
I learned German and English at the same time (at school in France), and now I totally forgot my German (oops!), but I think that if I had tried harder (and trained after I finished school) I could have kept it...
I wanted to know... What's the main foreign language you guys (english speakers) learn at school? In France, we always learn 2 foreign languages, usually English + spanish, German or Italian.

Here in North Dakota we usually only learn one foreign language but you can take two if you want. The majority take spanish but french, latin and german are also available.
0 Replies

videogamefreak

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 01:17 pm
Well, I am 12 years old... taking Spanish in high school, I'm trying to learn Norwegian at the same time, but I focus on spanish solely, and plan to teach myself many languages after that... I also know a cipher from Final Fantasy X, but that's just because I'm a videogamefreak (hence the name).I'm also making my own language with a friend from an online game just for fun.
0 Replies

am1403

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:20 am
my experience
Hello Cool
Re-activating the topic I found interesting Smile
I'd like to give my support to anyone who is learning 2+ foreign languages at the same time. From my personal experience, this is (very) possible.
I'm 15 (second year of high school) and my school puts emphasis on classical languages, i.e.all students study two classical (ancient greek and latin) and 1-3 modern foreign languages.
As foreign language(s) are taught also in elementary school, at least one from modern foreign languages is on "continuing" level, i.e. "advanced".
From those modern, I take english and italian on advanced level, and french on beginning level.
Also, I study russian outside school (course at colledge department).
So that would be 4 modern + 2 classical languages
(english is not my mother tongue, that's why I count it here).
Of course, I don't think I know yet some of these languages (classics and french), but within years that'll change I hope.

Trust me, it's perfectly possible to learn 2+ languages at the same time. Of course the best would be not to start them at EXACTLY same time, i.e.have at least few months of distance (at least half of a year ideal).
But even if you don't have that distance, you can do it; it completely depends upon your will and amount of time you're willing to spend with those languages; so I'd like to encourage everyone who has that will and time.
Best wishes to everyone in that process!
0 Replies