Jimmy Carter's Most Major Accomplishment in Life

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:00 pm
"Zimbabwe" is Jimmy Carter's most major accomplishment in life.

Recent news...

http://www.africantears.netfirms.com/thisweek.htm

Quote:

Everyone is sket
Saturday 5th March 2005

Dear Family and Friends,
"Everyone here is sket, coz last time they chaya'd us all." This little sentence said to me by a local shop worker, says it all for the atmosphere in Marondera just 26 days before parliamentary elections. Everyone in the town is scared because we are all waiting for the beatings, stonings and burnings that have characterized every single election here in the last five years. Our town is full to bursting with strangers, luxury cars, vehicles with no number plates and people with pockets full of money. There are burly youths swaggering four abreast on the main roads, men in dark glasses sitting in the sun just watching and every day literally hundreds of people queuing outside the passport offices. The atmosphere in the town is extremely tense. Most days I have to go past the house which was petrol bombed in the last elections; the house that I watched burn for hours through the night but which the fire brigade said they could not come and attend to. Every week I see friends, both black and white, men and women, who have been beaten and tortured in the last five years, lost their homes, possessions and jobs and had to literally run for their lives. None of us have seen justice done, yet, and the memories are still fresh.

Memories in Marondera are still very real, not only of burnings, beatings and even human branding carved into men's backs at the last election, but of a litany of abuse and decay that has become every day life. Less than a year ago our schools were closed down and the head teachers arrested. As I write our government hospitals and clinics do not even have phenobarb to control epilepsy, patients have to take their own food and outpatients queue outside in the open, sitting on the ground, for up to four hours before they are seen. Many of our suburban roads are now almost unusable; the edges steeply eroded, wide gullies ripped across the centres and literally scores of pot holes. In a 2 kilometre stretch of road leading to my home only two street lights still work, none of the storm drains have been cleared for over a year and grass is growing in the middle of tarred roads. I don't know anyone in the town who doesn't boil their drinking water, more often than not it has a brown or green colour, almost always it has specks floating in it and always it smells bad. So, having to tolerate all these things every day, we are all smiling at the mad flurry of activity in the last few days, and we are all, equally, not being fooled.

This week, suddenly, our town is being cleaned up. Just 26 days before elections, local officials have appeared out of the woodwork. Suburban roads which have not had pot holes filled or edges repaired for the entire rainy season, are being graded. Across the road from the main Marondera hospital this week all the fruit and vegetable vendors' home-made shacks have been pulled down and replaced with treated timber structures. In 2000 I used to stop there and buy a banana for four dollars. Now, the bananas are one thousand dollars each and on the lamp post there, next to the women who sell bananas, is an election poster. On every fourth or fifth street light, regardless of the fact that the bulbs and tubes dont work anymore, posters of the Zanu PF candidate have been erected. The pictures are very familiar to me, they show the same face that "war veterans" put up on the trees on our farm in 2000 when they set up their headquarters and "re-education camp" in our cattle paddocks.

It is five years later, everything else has changed, but that face on the election poster is still the same. There are no opposition posters on trees or lamp posts in Marondera yet. There are no people wearing opposition hats or T shirts and the reason is because " here everyone is sket because last time we all got chaya'd."

Until next week, with love, cathy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,071 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 11:27 pm
I don't see Jimmy Carter mentioned on your link anywhere. Exactly what is it you're saying here?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 04:51 am
Zimbabwe and Robert Mugabe are Jimmy Carters creatures.

http://www.answers.com/topic/jimmy-carter

Quote:

Carter continued his predecessors' policies of imposing sanctions on Rhodesia, and, after Bishop Abel Muzorewa was elected Prime Minister, protested that the Marxists Robert Mugabe and Joshua Nkomo were excluded from the elections. Strong pressure from the United States and the United Kingdom prompted new elections in what was then called Zimbabwe Rhodesia. ....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 07:49 am
If you can't point with sincerity to a myriad of major accomplishments in this decent mans life then you are talking to yourself, IMO.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 09:22 am
Granted I can't work up the animosity towards Carter which I did towards Nixon and Clinton, Carter was nonetheless a spectacularly bad president. The Washington Post even reported a conversation between Carter and Kissinger in which Carter asked 'What do we do when they take our embassy people hostage (if I let teh Shah into the country as you and David Rockafeller wish)?' and Kissinger replied 'We'll cross that bridge when we come to it'.

A serious president like Ike or FDR would have told Kissinger and Rockafeller to screw off but, having thus opened the door by allowing the Shah into the country, the guy HAD to be ready for what followed and all Carter ever did was sit there and whine and act apologetic for four years while accusing ordinary Americans of falling into a 'malaise' until he (Carter) was resoundingly fired in a 49-state landslide in 1980. The combined 20% inflation and 20% interest rates likely had something to do with it. They were calling him Mister Twenty-Twenty at the time.

All of that's completely aside allowing the Panama Canal to fall into the hands of the chicoms, and from that final fictitious oil shortage in 1979 of course...

Many consider Carter our worst president which, given the recent example of Slick Clinton, is an overwhelming condemnation.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 09:28 am
Maybe the job of president proved too much for this GOOD man with MANY other fine and noble accomplishments.

We all know it, why belabor it? Didn't your mom teach you that if you keep picking at a scab it will never heal? What have YOU done in your life to approach the level of accomplishment of Jimmy Carter? I'd be very interested to hear your views on that.

I personally am a fly on a turd compared to anyone who has even pulled himself up to the level of leader of the free world, whether they were successful at it or not.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 09:30 am
I think most of us here consider George W Bush to be our worst president ever, followed (as a close second) by Nixon.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 09:56 am
Maybe it was Carter's downfall, but Carter was one of the few men with integrity to hold the job of president.

He is also the only person to follow the best parts of Christianity. He was a peacemaker, cared about the poor, cared about justice both domestically and internationally.

The most impressive thing is that he held to his religious ideals after leaving the office-- living a very Christlike life.

If there is a heaven, I suspect Carter will be the only American president there.

Ironically, the presidents that Gunga and I would both agree were the most "effective" were the most corrupt.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 10:04 am
I am glad to be an American and I think as far as standard of living goes we are the greatest country in the world. I also think that the principles most of us believe this country were founded on makes this country one of the greatest ever.

However, the principles we believe this country was founded on are, in my opinion, quite different from the way the few in power actually founded it.

We came over on King Georges money and then told him to f*** himself when he asked for his share of it.

We committed genocide on the original tenants.

We enslaved another race to do our hard work for us.

All our major accomplishments are written in blood, and eventually that's how we'll be remembered, and the way we'll fall. And believe it, every empire eventually falls.

As always, this is all accomplished and decided by a handful of power brokers behind closed doors, and then given to Joe Lunchbox to sacrifice and die for, while they stay well out of the action and keep clean fingernails.

I'd still rather be here than anywhere else, but I'm not deaf dumb and blind.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 10:46 am
Says a lot about the current situation in the States when a thread about Jimmy Carter turns into a defence of contemporary America. Bit sad really but Bush has really done you over as it were. We're all waiting for normal service to be resumed as soon as possible when he's gone and the Republicans are back in their cells, I mean boxes.

As for Jimmy Carter. The fact that Mugabe turned out to be a gold-plated nutter is not down to Jimmy. If your kid goes bad and ends up in the slammer should you join them just because you produced them?

Carter's greatest achievement I think is to rise above the spite and pettiness of politics and the cruel coincidences that befell his presidency and to maintain his humility and his humanity. He will be seen as a flawed president but a good man I think. Unlike some. Whom I shan't name in case the CIA are tapping in here Shocked
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 10:49 am
goodfielder wrote:
Says a lot about the current situation in the States when a thread about Jimmy Carter turns into a defence of contemporary America. Bit sad really but Bush has really done you over as it were. We're all waiting for normal service to be resumed as soon as possible when he's gone and the Republicans are back in their cells, I mean boxes.

As for Jimmy Carter. The fact that Mugabe turned out to be a gold-plated nutter is not down to Jimmy. If your kid goes bad and ends up in the slammer should you join them just because you produced them?

Carter's greatest achievement I think is to rise above the spite and pettiness of politics and the cruel coincidences that befell his presidency and to maintain his humility and his humanity. He will be seen as a flawed president but a good man I think. Unlike some. Whom I shan't name in case the CIA are tapping in here Shocked

I couldn't agree with you more.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 01:56 pm
If you want to look at bad presidents, you need look no further than the present boy from Oz who needs a brain, a heart, and courage.

Carter brokered the peace between Egypt and Israel, which everyone said was impossible, and which has held for 25 years. No other president has done anything constructive over there. Clinton's peace initiative failed and Oz boy hasn't even tried.
0 Replies