Does molasses go bad?

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:34 pm
So, I'm cleaning out my kitchen cabinets today and I found a pretty old bottle (mostly full) of molasses. I hate to throw it away because it's one of those things that you never know when you might need -- like for making wheat bread or cookies. Anybody know if molasses goes bad? It doesn't have an expiration date on it

Plese help. I'm going crazy here. What should I do with this damn stuff? Eat it? Throw it away?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 861 • Replies: 8
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 09:05 pm
It makes a great enema, but you already knew that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 09:08 pm
Eat it, if you throw up, throw it away then.

Sugar is practically antiseptic, it is so hard for bugs to grow in it.

Molasses might just have enough good stuff in it to let a bug or two grow.

PS: You must take life a little easier - if molasses drives you crazy, many, many things will be a real big problem for you.

Breathe slowly - relax...molasses is nothing to get your knickers in a twist about.

Dearie me - these weird guys are so SENSITIVE!
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:25 pm
Sounds like a sticky situation gus.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:29 pm
Some honey found in ancient Egyptian tombs was still edible, if a little sugary. Go ahead and eat a little and get back to those of us who also have very, very old molasses in our cupboards. If we don't hear from you soon, we'll know not to save ours.

Another thing to contemplate--if honey ages so well, just think what molasses might do for you. Who knows, you might become another Estee Lauder! Add a little swamp gas and go with it Gus.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 11:53 pm
And, if it's good, you can mix a coupla spoons into your milk - a tasty, if interesting, drink.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:41 am
I thought molasses grew mould on it after a few years? Or is that only fruit jams, in jars which have been already opened?
I will conduct an experiment. Contact me in five years.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 12:34 pm
Well, that settles it. If McTag is still well-preserved in five years, we will all know that molasses has preservative qualities. I will get to meet McTag in early May, so I can give you a report of how he looks at present. Maybe we all can agree that one of us will check on McTag for the next few years to see if there is any improvement.

As for Gus, who could tell the difference? Is there a swamp lady anywhere in the neighborhood?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 01:33 pm
Gus, did you ever warm the jar and use it as a sex toy? Because then it might go bad.
0 Replies