WELSH-HINDI CONNECTION

Diane

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 09:41 am
Hi turtlehead--I was surprised to see this old thread up and out again. Thanks for your input.

Steve, I always thought those people from Wales were pretty silly. You set me straight and for that, here's a big kith on your cheek.

Lord E, finally an expert! And you're probably the silliest, funniest Welshman on a2k. Somehow, I knew you'd come through.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 10:53 am
Diane wrote:
Hi turtlehead--I was surprised to see this old thread up and out again. Thanks for your input.

Steve, I always thought those people from Wales were pretty silly. You set me straight and for that, here's a big kith on your cheek.

Lord E, finally an expert! And you're probably the silliest, funniest Welshman on a2k. Somehow, I knew you'd come through.

Thanks for the kith. Can we do lisp kithing next? Actually I thought I was going to get a slap for refering to silly Welsh people, but I meant Welsh people who are silly, not Welsh are silly people.

Anyway Lord Ewan Llewellyn Jones the Lord didnt seem too upset Smile
0 Replies

petros

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 12:38 am
Turtlehead wrote:
Diane wrote:
did the Norse ever make it to Wales?

They did a bit of raping and pillaging but no settling preserving the welsh language. My welsh history isn't that good either.

All the Hindi I know is; Kiap hindi samasti he? - Do you understand hindi?

My knowledge of written welsh is more extensive. In welsh it is; Wyt ti'n deall hindi? which is totally different.

Linguistically hindi and welsh are essentially as far apart as you can get for Indo-european languages.

Though the accents could just be a coincidence.

Let's presume for the moment that two languages were once one. Idiom might have subdivided, and different strands of those idiomatic divisions might have fallen out of use in one of the two splitoff tongues than in the other. So, then, what does that set us up for? Cognates may run parallel throughout both vocabularies as to root form, etc., while a different idiomatic selection of nuance preferences will result in each tongue constructing similar statements out of differing selections out of a common vocabulary stock. Thus, that kiap is not cognate to the synonymous word selected according to Welsh idiom cannot in any way serve to show anything except perhaps a little about similarity or dissimilarity of phrase construction.
0 Replies

petros

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 02:32 am
http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/fun/welsh/Lesson01.html
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 07:15 am
Thanks Petros, glad to see someone is paying attention.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 10:35 pm
Petros, thanks for the link.

At this point, it looks like the Indian woman who thought there might be a connection was mistaken or simply engaged in wishful thinking.

I saw her post on one of the unusual word sites, but haven't seen anymore posts about her theory.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:00 am
The 2 accents do sound similar. I once watched a Welsh TV Program. I found it amazingly Indian.
0 Replies

petros

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 08:48 pm
vinsan wrote:
The 2 accents do sound similar. I once watched a Welsh TV Program. I found it amazingly Indian.

I watched a movie with a name something like "The man who went up a hill and came down a mountain", or something to that effect. As I watched it, I was impressed with the fact that quite some mixture of ethnicity looks to have occurred in the Welsh community - some had a dark-haired, brown-eyed look that reminded me of certain natives to Japan and China with a more "Caucasian" sort of look, while others had red, curly hair, etc. When they sang, I said to my family, "Some of them almost sound like their ancestors were once in India" - while others did not sound that way to me.
My sister and her friend, when they met a Parsee, thought his accent sounded like a smoother version of a Scottish accent.
I've heard certain Austrians sound a little like certain people I know from India, and heard things in the speach of Germans from certain areas that put me in mind of Japanese speach - as to the sonic impression given by it.
I think there are certain English speakers that others just lump together as "Cockney", which divide into two types of sounds:
one sounds like it rounds off /R/ into /W/ in a way that sounds like they once lived next to Chinese neighbors,;
the other I think sounds like they apply Arabic phonemes, for which there are no Latin letters, to the English language - if such speakers tranlated their phonetic range to Arabic, I think they would sound not so "Cockney".
On a tape accompanying a Scottish Gaelic course, the woman sounded Middle or Near Eastern to me, using the same accent that sounded merely "Scottish" to me, as compared against the English language I am familiar with according to my own accent (which is neutral).
Where I come from, we can mimmick English speakers from every other place on earth, but most from all other places on earth cannot mimmick mine, nor one another's.
Some, I think, may have absorbed Celtic phonetic traits in Wales, so that they have not the sound as though akin to Indians; others, though, do surprisingly sound reminiscent of Indians in speach. I do not regard true Cymru (so-called "Welsh" by foriegn invaders) as Celtic at all (except with regards to some of them having mingled their lines with outsiders).
0 Replies