The Feminist Censorship Thread

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2018 07:52 am
This is my thread for things either actually censored, or at least condemned by feminists. Judge for yourself.... is this censorship reasonable, or is this ridiculous.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,085 • Replies: 10
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2018 07:55 am
@maxdancona,
This is my daughter's example (she is a thespian).

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2018 11:22 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

This is my thread for things either actually censored, or at least condemned by feminists.

Censored and condemned are completely different in fundamental ways. Censor means to use your power/authority to prevent others from seeing something. Condemn is to express a strong objection to. It's been said here by many including me that the best response to offensive free speech is more free speech. Faced with obvious racism, sexism, hatred of all types, we have the option of silence or of outspoken condemnation. Doing the latter is responding to free speech with free speech, the opposite of censorship.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2018 11:26 am
@engineer,
I accept that...

There is also a big difference between "obvious racism, sexism and hatred of all types" and Ray Charles singing "Baby it's cold outside" with Nina Simone. Several radio stations are now refusing to play this song.

It is ridiculous when feminism gets taken to these extremes. I had to explain to my daughter why "Grease" got onto the black-list... she understands how silly this is.

engineer

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2018 11:38 am
@maxdancona,
That particular song has been intensely discussed for a couple of years now with arguments being made (by feminists) on both sides. If someone has read those arguments and has made their decision, I don't see how that is ridiculous. They just don't agree with you (or me, I like the song). Because someone might hear my argument and decide to censor someone else is not a reason I have to stay silent. If you are saying that someone who finds speech repugnant has to stay silent to protect your access to repugnant speech, I strongly disagree.

So where is the black list you refer to? It clearly isn't very effective if you can casually post links on the Internet.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2018 11:55 am
@engineer,
Can you show me an argument published by a feminist that defends "It's cold outside"?

There was a spate of news reports in the past week of "Baby, it's cold outside" being removed from playlists... and it is quite easy to find public calls for this song to be silenced. https://www.nbc4i.com/news/state-news/-metoo-movement-causes-cleveland-radio-station-to-stop-playing-baby-its-cold-outside/1629116532

I think that you and I mostly agree about free speech... although I think I tend push back on public attempts to stop expression more than you do.

neptuneblue

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2018 12:28 pm
Songs get censored from time to time. No one runs up and down stairs any more singing "I'm so gay! I'm so gay!" The Stones had censorship issues with "Satisfaction." Rap gets censored all the time too, explicit lyrics that leave nothing to the imagination.

Why this song? Just one more thing you point your finger at and say, "See this...feminism is WRONG."

Gee Max, it's not that big of a deal. Buy the cd and play it 24/7 as a protest.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2018 01:09 pm
@neptuneblue,
Obviously, the point I am making is that modern feminism is ridiculous and often goes to silly extremes (and sometimes harmful ones). This song is a good, timely example.

That is why I am writing this post in a public forum (I don't imagine anyone wears those goofy pink hats in private either). I do thank you for bumping up my thread.

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2018 02:56 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Can you show me an argument published by a feminist that defends "It's cold outside"?

Sure.
maxdancona wrote:

I think that you and I mostly agree about free speech... although I think I tend push back on public attempts to stop expression more than you do.

I think you conflate criticism with attempts to stop expression. I don't consider BICO as offensive, but if I did, I would criticize it. You would defend it. That is a healthy debate, not something to rail against.
petitevoiture

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 08:47 am
@engineer,
I think one important thing is to ask victims of rape or sexual harassment what they feel about BICO.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2019 09:02 am
@petitevoiture,
Which ones would you ask? Like any other group of human beings, survivors or rrape have a wide range of views and opinions.

Feminists don't speak for rape suevivors and many survivors disagree with the politics of feminism.
0 Replies