edgarblythe

Sun 27 Mar, 2022 03:51 pm
@Lash,
I want Thomas gone. No quibbles about that. I don't know if it's fair to use her that way.
edgarblythe

Tue 29 Mar, 2022 08:54 am

Why White Men Like to Be the Devil…’s Advocate, As Explained To Me By a White Man
Malcolm X once called white men the devil, but they prefer to call themselves the devil's advocate. Here's a few reasons why they've latched onto this title.

People of color feel obliged to explain that when learning of instances of brutal police violence disproportionately perpetrated against Black and Brown people - we often see ourselves and our families. We let this be known with the hope that the communal grief we are overcome with will elicit at least some sympathy from those who do not have to imagine themselves in these impossible positions.

But the thing is, many white people already know that we feel this way, and it just doesn’t bother them.

By emphasizing our personal stake in issues of racial injustice, we are, in the eyes of many white folks, admitting our inability to give an “unbiased” and therefore accurate take on what they are able to categorize as purely political. They believe their supposed objectivity makes their opinion more valid, more based in fact, in reality. Of course, their reality is just as distorted as anyone’s, if not more so, and clouded by centuries of white supremacy that shape the lens through which white people see both themselves and POC.

It is a similar phenomenon to that women often experience with men - being gaslit into certain perspectives by the notion that the woman’s perspective is void because it is too “emotional” while the man’s is deemed more “logical”. This is most often seen in the overwhelming insertion of male opinions and policies surrounding women's right to choose emergency contraceptives.

Men operate under the belief that if they feel nothing about an issue, mainly because it in no way infringes upon their civil liberties, they are the only ones who can speak objectively on the subject.

Restrictive 20th-century era abortion policies are passed all under the guise of objectivity - which is really just men refusing to acknowledge issues outside of their immediate realm of relevancy. They adopt this identity of simply playing the “devil’s advocate” as if that absolves them of the consequences of their words and actions. As if they cannot be held accountable for whatever ideology they spew because, hey, they were just advocating for Satan.

A white male friend of mine and fellow NYU student from the deeply conservative suburbs of Texas helped unpack and explain this phenomenon to me. I learned that at the root of why so many white people feel the need to interject on issues they have no nuanced knowledge of, is the growing fear of white obsoletism.

This country was founded on propping up the white and wealthy by marginalizing the non-white and low income. For as long as this nation has existed, white people, and white men specifically, have been at the center of power and attention. When this country focuses on its marginalized communities for too long, that creeping fear white supremacists have been inflating for decades only grows.

As the U.S. journeys through another long-awaited racial reckoning, we have reached that midpoint where white people stop caring about how they can help, and the guilt that prompted their limited awakening has mostly subsided.

They say, “I’m tired of being the bad guy. I no longer want to answer for the actions of my people”. It pains most white people to realize that supremacist ideology goes beyond conservative flags and swastikas, and when they realize white supremacy is something that each of them has helped to perpetuate and must fully face - well, that’s much harder to tweet about.

Because, well there are no colorful infographics to explain away the role even the most “woke” white liberals play in systematic oppression.

Kendi is currently a student at New York University and is the author of multiple award-winning poems, short stories, stage, and screenplays.

0 Replies

Lash

Tue 29 Mar, 2022 09:01 am
@edgarblythe,
This mirrors my feelings. I don’t think I know anyone who doesn’t consider Thomas a flaming mistake, but is there any comparable precedent to using the political leanings of a spouse to remove a Justice?

Without doing a search, I’m not sure a Justice has ever been removed.
edgarblythe

Tue 29 Mar, 2022 09:05 am
@Lash,
I honestly don't know what to make of it. I just know they will do what they will do.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 29 Mar, 2022 06:25 pm
https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/277579814_283771423928003_786873050662093376_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=FMahLQ8k9FMAX9-eIvf&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-2.fna&oh=00_AT_rlFFOJ3cnMMZ6wyIrSxh9duHvYO92Gfyy_R3eh56SRg&oe=62485CE4
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 30 Mar, 2022 04:53 am
And, he fired hundreds of 'non compliant' fire, police and other city workers for not getting Covid vax but then exempts Broadway performers and athletes from any Covid restrictions.

What a hypocrite.
Leadfoot

Wed 30 Mar, 2022 07:33 am
@Leadfoot,
Talk'n bout Mr. Mayor of course.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 2 Apr, 2022 03:36 pm
Shaun King
29 mins ·
I wanna celebrate this courageous Black man right here and introduce him to many of you. ⁣

This brother is MY HERO. ⁣

At the height of the pandemic in New York, when we had 815 people dying here PER DAY, Chris Smalls (@chris.smalls_)was working AROUND THE CLOCK at Amazon. ⁣

Then the workers started getting sick and DYING.⁣

And Chris decided that he was going to have to stand up for himself and stand up for his co-workers. ⁣

And Amazon FIRED Chris over it. ⁣

Then they demeaned him and insulted him privately and publicly - a company he worked tirelessly for. ⁣

🚨🚨🚨And yesterday, AFTER TWO YEARS OF ORGANIZING, Chris helped form THE VERY 1st UNION for Amazon in the country right here in New York. ⁣

The workers, organized by Chris and dozens of others, VOTED FOR IT. ⁣

➡️It’s the single biggest win for unions and worker’s rights of this generation. ⁣

To me, it’s on the scale of Caesar Chavez and Dolores Huerta. It’s historic. ⁣

I spoke to Chris yesterday and he told me about his dear mother Dawn. And @dawn_smalls I want to honor you right now for teaching Chris to stand up for himself and others! ⁣YOU ALL DID IT!! I’m so proud of you Chris!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 3 Apr, 2022 08:57 am

Today’s piece for The North Star is free for everyone, but we need your support. Please consider becoming a member now to help fund grassroots liberation journalism that speaks truth to power. We are fully independent and only exist because of the generous support of good people just like you.

My Only Real Takeaway From the Will Smith Debacle Before I Never Talk About It Again: Black People Are Never Allowed to Mess Up
One final piece of commentary before I hope we can all turn our attention back to the issues that actually matter.

Kendi King
Apr 3

Comment

Will Smith accepts the Actor in a Leading Role award for ‘King Richard’ onstage during the 94th Annual Academy Awards (Photo by Neilson Barnard/Getty Images)
Will Smith is kinda seen as a genius in the realm of Black filmmakers.

Not because of his stellar acting and performance skills, or the fact that I grew up watching him in some of the most iconic films of my generation, or the fact that he’s been able to grow his fame through both film and music.

Will Smith is a genius because he knew from the very beginning how to game the system.

He was able to analyze the film industry and quickly realize that, as a young actor coming up in the 80s & 90s especially, the only space film and television mostly carved out for Black men was the role of the thug - and Will Smith did not want to play a thug. He crafted an image of himself that relied on neutrality - not in the way of denying who he is or denying his people, but by building a career around neutral film and television roles.

Will Smith figured out that if he stuck to action and science fiction movies (Men In Black, Independence Day) he could transcend the social construct of race, reaching people at the most basic human level. The main conflicts of these films are not man vs. man or even man vs. world, but man vs. intergalactic threat.

The movies that made Will Smith involved some form of human unification in order to defeat a larger, apocalyptic threat. He was the hero of people, not just of Black people, he just happened to be Black.

It worked so well that it felt like a trick.

Subscribe now

Will understood that audiences would “forget” about his race if they could instead focus on the larger issue of an alien invasion or the end of the world. But he has also always been undeniably Black and told Black stories throughout his career (Ali, The Pursuit of Happyness, and most recently his Academy Award-winning performance in King Richard).

In order to bring these Black stories to life, he first had to build his audience. He had to make a name for himself outside of the Fresh Prince era where he got his start and transition into the realm of “serious actors”.

It’s an admirable victory most artists of color struggle to navigate.

And when he slapped Chris Rock on live television, I knew all of that would come tumbling down in an instant.

I saw what none of my non-Black friends could see - that the moment he stepped out of the character he has spent decades carefully crafting, it was an excuse for the forces of white supremacy in America to tell him he was absolutely everything they always knew he was - everything they tell Black men they are from the moment they are born.

A human prone to violence who cannot act with restraint.

Will Smith spent what has essentially been his entire adult life cultivating an image to help himself and his career, not only for himself, but for us too. Will Smith gave us what very few actors or artists in general could, a consistent Black male role model in popular media.

I can’t remember a time in my life when that man was not on a movie poster, and that cannot be underestimated. No media frenzy can take that away. A talented, intelligent, strong, conventionally handsome Black man with the perfect nuclear family (as we all know now, no family is perfect, but the Smiths were about as close as you could get in my eyes) who always had a movie out.

So as you wade through the commentary, tweets, and reposts, remember what is actually going on here.

Try and find the nuance where people prefer none.

Remember that the small part of this man’s inner life that we get to see is just that -an incredibly small part.

And know that if the Academy decides to revoke his Oscar because of social pressure (which would not be a shock, as he has already resigned from the already painfully un-diverse Academy with 81% of voting members being white, and 62% men), all the people who have openly condemned this man who’s been about as perfect as a celebrity can be will eat their words at the realization that their “outrage” was mostly just pandering to white America.

Kendi is currently a student at New York University and is the author of multiple award-winning poems, short stories, stage, and screenplays.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 3 Apr, 2022 09:02 am
People need to stop saying we lost Vietnam and Afghanistan. Look at it from a defense contractor's point of view. Vietnam and Afghanistan are the goal. They served as justification for the permanent expansion of the military budget. Massive fortunes were gained.
Anonymous
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 3 Apr, 2022 02:31 pm
WALKS OF PEACE

All the wars eventually
Must fall before Walks of Peace
Walks of Peace, Walks of Peace

I dreamed I went with MLK
On a rare and fateful day
As he strolled along with me
We journeyed back through history

We saw all the wars of race
Wars of countries, even faith
He declared these wars all must cease
Folks must be troops for Walks of Peace

Yes the wars eventually
Walks of Peace, Walks of Peace

As Martin said, Don’t be deceived
All of these wars are wars of greed
It's up to us these wars must cease
Folks must be troops for Walks of Peace
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 3 Apr, 2022 03:13 pm
John Lennon
S8tplt0o31h6it5m hl0rsdmh ·
I think our society is run by insane people for insane objectives... We're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends… If anybody can put on paper what they are actually trying to do I'd be very pleased to know what they think they're doing. I think they're all insane
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Sun 3 Apr, 2022 05:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

In a wildly funny novel,

I tried to read this book 5 or 6 times and failed to get past the 40% mark. It's good. But no way in Hell is/was it "wildly funny".

Maybe that's the reason I keep failing to get past the halfway point and inevitably finishing it. I wouldn't even call it moderately funny.
edgarblythe

Sun 3 Apr, 2022 05:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
Not everybody reads from the same perspective. Your opinion is just that: an opinion. Same as mine.
tsarstepan

Sun 3 Apr, 2022 05:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Not everybody reads from the same perspective. Your opinion is just that: an opinion. Same as mine.

Huh. I literally didn't say anything to contradict that. Or even imply that notion.
edgarblythe

Sun 3 Apr, 2022 05:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
Yeah but that authoritarian tone. Smile
tsarstepan

Sun 3 Apr, 2022 05:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Yeah but that authoritarian tone. Smile

You're clearly just impressed with my Royal moniker and demeanor. I ... mean... I am impressive. Cool
https://imgur.com/lI4h34p.jpg
edgarblythe

Sun 3 Apr, 2022 05:29 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have been unable to appreciate a number of "great novels" in my time. I usually don't name them for fear of offending fans.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 9 Apr, 2022 05:25 pm
Texas woman, 26, charged with murder over ‘self-induced abortion’

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/apr/09/texas-woman-26-charged-murder-self-induced-abortion
edgarblythe

Sun 10 Apr, 2022 05:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
I believe the charges will be dismissed.