helicobacter

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:25 am
Hi everybody. My niece is 13 years old, she has been suffering from a chronic constipation for about a month now. The problem is that she doesn't eat well, though we always persuade and encourage her. I know that balanced diet with enough juices and water will do to work out the problem. After several tests carried out, the physician ( pediatrician ) said that the problem from the girl herself, and nothing wrong with her body.

She said ( doctor ) that she ( my girl ) refuses to go to the bathroom, or maybe ignore the urge itself.Ok, what has been done the following; sonography, barium enema, hematology, serology, etc.

Everything was alright. Beside the constipation, there was something new came up.That was a bacteria called helicobacter. I read about it on the internet that it causes stomach ulcer later on. After a few talk with the first doc ( pediatrician ), I had a new appointment with the endoscopy doctor.Well, that was today ( morning ), he couldn't find anything wrong with constipation thingy, and said ok or nothing wrong with that bacteria.

I was given a bunch of medication, but I'm worried about the worm ( spiral in shape bacteria )

Any idea is appreciated
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 640 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 11:55 am
Quote:
The problem is that she doesn't eat well, though we always persuade and encourage her. I know that balanced diet with enough juices and water will do to work out the problem. After several tests carried out, the physician ( pediatrician ) said that the problem from the girl herself, and nothing wrong with her body.

She may have the beginnings of an eating disorder. If she has been checked out physically, and nothing is wrong, the next step is to consult a therapist who specializes in adolescent eating disorders.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 07:41 am
You are right, I should consult a dietitian or a therapist.But, what about helicobacter? Doctor told me nothing, and said it's ok.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 08:14 am
http://www.cdc.gov/ulcer/md.htm

If the H pylori is causing symptoms, there are simple antibiotic regimens that can take care of that quickly. She may not even need the treatment though.

Quote:
How common is H. pylori infection?

Approximately two-thirds of the world's population is infected with H. pylori. In the United States, H. pylori is more prevalent among older adults, African Americans, Hispanics, and lower socioeconomic groups.

What illnesses does H. pylori cause?

Most persons who are infected with H. pylori never suffer any symptoms related to the infection; however, H. pylori causes chronic active, chronic persistent, and atrophic gastritis in adults and children.

If you are not convinced by what the doctor said, take her for a second opinion with a gastroenterologist, who specializes in diseases of the gastrointestinal system.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 08:32 am
Navigator, your description of what's been happening with your niece (as well as the doctor's comments) fits very well with an eating disorder - not a stomach problem.

Is your niece dealing with stressors other than the basics of adolescence?
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 09:03 am
She doesn't have any other prob. except the constipation. One thing that she isn't as active as other kids here, and her mother well hmm, sort of indulging her.

But the bacteria is positive as the serology test shown.

Definately I'll check another gastroenterologist.

Thanks phoenix, thanks ehBeth
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:42 pm
Navigator, part of the problem with identifying the presence of something is then determining whether it is the cause of something else. Because your niece is carrying H. pylori doesn't mean that it is the cause of the constipation. She might have tested positive for it years ago, or just a few days before she had her test. It could very well be independent of the constipation. Here are a couple links for h. pylori and constipation.

http://www.mamashealth.com/stomach/stomach3.asp

http://www.mamashealth.com/constip.asp

good luck
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 06:57 am
Thanks J_B
0 Replies