Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,504 • Replies: 21
No top replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 06:47 pm
Did he die world-wide?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 06:48 pm
Oh... um... I just kind of got that impression from reading the article, but I guess that doesn't make sense.

Doesn't everyone die world-wide?
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 07:55 pm
Who is this guy? And does anybody care?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 07:58 pm
He was quite a champion, wasn't he, Edgar.

Thought of our friend, c.i., when I heard this on the news earlier.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for posting this.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:07 pm
CG, may I ask how old you are?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:11 pm
Anybody who doesn't care who this guy was has no understanding at all of the human condition. I find it hard to understand a remark like that.

ebeth, he certainly was.

Hi, j_b.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:17 pm
I think she was referring to me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:23 pm
I don't think so, coates.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:25 pm
Edgar's right. Again.

Don't know if you saw it, Edgar, but I'm coming around to your way of thinking in re Reverend Jackson - at least his actions of the last week.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:26 pm
Jackson has his problems. Don't we all?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:26 pm
Not many people care about me...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:29 pm
Yer wrong, coates. We all care about you. I didn't reply to you in the beginning, because I didn't understand what you were saying.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:33 pm
Everyone?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:35 pm
Um...I still don't understand what scoates is saying.

Edgar, thanks for posting this. I admit, shamefacedly, that the name Korematsu meant nothing to me at first. That's why I looked at your post, to find out who he he was. Remarkable man with more courage than most. It's a shame it took more than 40 years to overturn that kangaroo court conviction. And that Supreme Court ruling ranks right up there with Dred Scott and Plessy v Ferguson.

Isn't it way past constitutionalgirl's bedtime?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:37 pm
Korematsu's death, and life, got quite a bit of coverage on the CBC radio news. There was also a small feature on As It Happens.

<nods>

Must be bringing back a lot of memories for some folks.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:47 pm
This is the second thread today where ConstitutionalGirl's comments seem to indicate someone quite young. I was just curious. Her words in her posts seem to contradict the message she's quoting in her signature.

I care about you SCoates.

Edgar, my daughter did an extensive research project on the internment camps for school a couple years ago. We spent a lot of time together going over stories and accounts. She was only 12 at the time, but she gained a deep compassion for the Japanese-Americans who were interned during WWII. I'll be sure to show her the link about Korematsu.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:48 pm
I recently finished the book "When The Emperor Was Divine" (and I highly recommend it) and was looking up the history of the times when I came across the name Korematsu. I'm sure, to the shame of my education, that I never learned about him in school. A life worth living, we need more like him.

Not an excuse, but I think C.Girl is young and British and does not know about the Japanese interment camps in the US.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 09:05 pm
When the history of the US in the 20th century is written, Korematsu will get at least a line, which is much more than most of us who simply carried spears in the chorus will merit. There was a guy on Abuzz several years ago who was pushing a privately printed book (that he authored) that "proved" that Americans of Japanese ancestry were a security threat in WWII. So the work Korematus's began is far from done. In MHO the Patriot Act is just an update of the bigotry Korematus spent his life opposing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:04 pm
It's hard for me to write about Fred Korematsu without sounding trite. I just wanted to let A2K know what a man this was that we have lost.
0 Replies