America's other president under attack

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 02:52 pm
Bumble Bee Boogie- You started out this thread by calling what was happening a threat to free speech. FYI, free speech has to do with the GOVERNMENT curtailing speech, not private individuals, or corporations, or organizations or clubs. Then you quoted:

Quote:
Television network NBC is under pressure to sack him from its hit show or face a boycott or withdrawal of advertising.

Sheen said in Los Angeles that NBC executives had indicated his high profile could damage the show and had called on him to explain his views. He had also received thousands of hate emails, been accused of being a traitor and accosted in the street.

Unless I am missing something, advertisers and NBC executives are not part of the government!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 02:57 pm
Exactly. Citizens may be dissatisfied with ridiculing their President, and they have all the rights to boycott the TV show that deals with this. If rating of the show falls, advertisement revenues will act correspondingly. Plain people have less access abilities to express their opinion in the media than Mr. Sheen does, but at least, they may try to shut up the celebrity that acts in offensive (in their opinion) way. Freedom of speech implicitly includes (IMO) right of people not to listen to someone's speech.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 02:59 pm
steissd wrote:
Does Mr. Sheen have any political agenda except opposition to war in Iraq?

Quote:
Sheen turned to activism and returned to Roman Catholicism after recovering from the heart attack he sustained while filming the 1979 Vietnam War epic Apocalypse Now. But, "I don't focus on causes per se," he says. "I focus on social justice."

To highlight the plight of the homeless, Sheen portrayed the nation's first homeless rights activist, Mitch Snyder, in the 1986 made-for-TV movie Samaritan: The Mitch Snyder Story. To research the role, Sheen and Snyder camped out on a sewer grate for three hours near the Washington Monument; they collected 45 cents.

...For the working poor, Sheen has rallied alongside César Chávez, father of the Chicano power movement in Southern California and leader of the movement to unionize Mexican farm workers "I try to lead with my heart, and my common sense tells me to place the focus on the beings who are suffering," he says.
His vocal support for government reforms in El Salvador and his fundraising for Salvadoran humanitarian relief organizations in the Los Angeles area made him the target of pro-government death squads in 1993. And an angry mob of seal hunters nearly clubbed him to death during a 1995 Greenpeace protest in the Magdalene Islands.
The Sheen Shine

For what it is worth, I do admire Sheen for standing up for what he believes, but that respect is diminished quite a bit by the high regard in which he seems to hold his own opinion. I don't have to agree with him to respect him for taking a stand.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 03:01 pm
trespassers will wrote:
For what it is worth, I do admire Sheen for standing up for what he believes, but that respect is diminished quite a bit by the high regard in which he seems to hold his own opinion. I don't have to agree with him to respect him for taking a stand.

I agree, TW.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 03:07 pm
West Wing is not suffering from falling ratings!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 05:29 pm
"...that respect is diminished quite a bit by the high regard in which he seems to hold his own opinion."

Man, I sure can relate to THAT!! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 05:33 pm
You talking about the unPresident or the fake President snood? Or, er, ahhh, I mean - oh sh@t, now I'm totally confused. Both seem to be fictitious in my mind!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 07:59 pm
Hollywood Actors Raise McCarthyism Specter
(Reuters) - Hollywood actors, facing a vitriolic backlash for their opposition to a war against Iraq, have raised the specter of Cold War McCarthyism in an appeal to avoid returning to one of the movie industry's darkest hours. The Screen Actors Guild (SAG) said a slew of hate-mail directed at actors who have taken a public personal stand against war, along with calls for boycotts of movies and albums on the nation's talk radio airwaves and Internet message boards, "suggests that the lessons of history have, for some, fallen on deaf ears
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 08:52 pm
I was referring to anyone who takes himself too seriously, and bores everyone with it. I didn't have either president in mind.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 08:59 pm
Well, I haven't seen West Wing, but it sure applies to ole #1.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 11:24 pm
You haven't seen West Wing? Oh my. I, on the other hand, have never seen any of the survivor shows, or millionaire shows, or I guess a lot of them. On the other hand, I did watch a lot of Spongebob (with some grandsons).

I was cracking wise about running Martin Sheen - I think he's too short, although, of course, there are always cowboy boots with lifts and heels. And he does put his mouth where his belief is - and his beliefs don't shift according to the prevailing winds.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 12:08 am
I've heard it was good. I don't watch much telly unless it is sports, or natural shows or a movie every once in a while. Lost interest many years ago - but it is stuff like West Wing that makes me think on returning - then the survivor true to life millionaire crap comes on and I'm sure I don't want to return!
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 03:42 pm
The real president should be a lady
who had lost everything including her son
and uphold the real American views..
W§hile your system is debased, damaged to uphold democracy , I beg you all to go to the polling stations and vote out the corporate controlled criminals.
0 Replies