America's other president under attack

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 12:07 pm
This new threat to free speech reminds me of the days of the 1950's HUAC, the House Unamerican Activities Committee and the age of McCarthyism.

America's other president under attack
March 5 2003
By Duncan Campbell - Los Angeles

Actor and activist Martin Sheen as President Bartlet in The West Wing.

Pressure is growing for the president to lose his job because of his uncompromising stance on the war. That's President Bartlet, as played by Martin Sheen in the hit television series The West Wing.

Sheen has been one of the leading figures in the anti-war movement, addressing rallies and spearheading the "virtual march" on Washington last week in which legislators were deluged with a million emails, phone calls and faxes.

Television network NBC is under pressure to sack him from its hit show or face a boycott or withdrawal of advertising.

Sheen said in Los Angeles that NBC executives had indicated his high profile could damage the show and had called on him to explain his views. He had also received thousands of hate emails, been accused of being a traitor and accosted in the street.

Conservative talkshow hosts have lambasted many actors and singers for expressing opposition to war.

A website, Citizens Against Celebrity Pundits, has been launched for "American citizens (who) stand against wealthy Hollywood celebrities abusing their status to speak for us". The site calls for donations for ads to counter the anti-war movement. "We believe that celebrities Martin Sheen, Mike Farrell, Tim Robbins, Rob Reiner, Barbra Streisand and others with them are using their celebrity to interfere with the defence of our country," it says.

Last week conservative cable channel Fox News published a poll concluding that two-thirds of those interviewed wanted celebrities to be silent on politics.

Organisers of the anti-war ads signed by actors and musicians say the ads are necessary because the mainstream American media has been reluctant to give coverage to the anti-war movement and the cable news channels are overwhelmingly pro-war.

Last week a new group, Musicians United, ran a full-page ad in The New York Times, quoting former NATO supreme commander Wesley Clark saying invading Iraq would "supercharge recruiting for al-Qaeda". It was signed by about 50 musicians including Lou Reed, Sheryl Crow, the Kronos Quartet, Missy Elliott, Busta Rhymes, Massive Attack and REM.

- Guardian
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,303 • Replies: 32
No top replies

steissd

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 12:25 pm
By the way, I understand motives of the plain citizens that oppose celebrities' abusing their popularity to spread their personal views. In anything that does not pertain to their main occupation (cinema, music, fine arts, literature,etc.) they are no more informed or better understanding than the general population. But they can get easy access to media due to their popularity (that has nothing to do with their proficiency in fields of war planning, international relations, military intelligence or diplomacy), while some accountant John Doe from Texas or nurse Jane Roe from Mississippi cannot preach his/her ideas to the broad audience: no one knows them, and no one will listen to them.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 12:31 pm
BumbleBee<

Yes, the article you quote is reminiscent of the McCarthy era, but, then again, so is this entire Dubya presidency.

We should all be on the lookout, not just for terrorists, but for government snoops as well. No one's reputation is safe in this time of fear created by the White House.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 12:54 pm
and thats how we got Ronald Reagan, so maybe we should stop hollywood from speaking Wink
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 01:05 pm
dyslexia<

And that's how we got Richard Nixon, too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 01:06 pm
I dunno, the celebrity thing doesn't bother me too much. I mean, if I knew that what I said would be more likely to be heeded than the words of some accountant John Doe, I'd feel a certain responsibility. I think speaking out against the war is far more ethical than, what, endorsing sneakers.

Meanwhile, if they actually seek to muzzle the off-screen words of an actor,... wow.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 01:07 pm
By the way, I understand motives of the plain citizens that oppose celebrities' abusing their popularity to spread their personal views. In anything that does not pertain to their main occupation (cinema, music, fine arts, literature,etc.) they are no more informed or better understanding than the general population. But they can get easy access to media due to their popularity (that has nothing to do with their proficiency in fields of war planning, international relations, military intelligence or diplomacy), while some accountant John Doe from Texas or nurse Jane Roe from Mississippi cannot preach his/her ideas to the broad audience: no one knows them, and no one will listen to them.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 01:10 pm
steissd: fyi Ronald Reagan got to be president from his pulpit as a hollywood star.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 01:12 pm
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 01:17 pm
Oh. I thought Reagan went from governor of California to president.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 01:18 pm
Just a few comments...

First and foremost, Sheen has every right to voice his opinion as an American.

Second, his bosses at NBC have every right to speak to him about their concerns that his voicing of that opinion might have a negative impact on the show and the money it generates for them.

Third, I have a lot of respect for actors like Lara Flynn Boyle, who recently commented that she failed to understand why anyone would look to her for an opinion on issues such as politics and foreign policy, that her expertise was in acting, and that such questions were better asked of those whose expertise went to the issues being discussed.

Once again, Sheen, Farrell, et al have every right to express their opinions. Likewise, anyone who wishes to decry these self-appointed spokespeople for the anti-Bush movement has an equal right to make a noise and be heard.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 01:34 pm
How about we run Martin Sheen for president? He's a hard woker, he's of hispanic descent, he's got lots of experience, he a quick thinker and he's quick on his feet, and he has convictions.

Did anybody see the show (I think it was last year - masterminded by Karen Hughes) that came on one Wednesday night right before "West Wing?" It was called something like "A Day in the Real West Wing," and it featured Bush, hosted by Tom Brokaw. It was intended to be a PR thing for Bush, showing the realities versus the TV. In it, Bush proudly explained the dress code - no mre relaxed dress, and positively no one allowed in the Oval Office unless properly attired. Everyone arrived early (but, of course, they always do), but shop closed at a decent hour - eight pm was late. When asked what if something cropped up at an odd hour, the president's response was that it could wait, or they could brief him. Even Brokaw was embarrassed. This was for real - and so bad there was almost no mention made of it afterward, although it had been announced with fanfare before.

Apparently "West Wing" poses a threat to this administration. Actors have frequently made known their views. I haven't seen any cry for Charlton Heston to keep it down, yet he's been a loud and vociferous champion of the NRA and the republican stand on it for years.

I think it is shades of McCarthyism. That one started small, by an alcoholic senator with delusions, and grew into a frightful chapter in our history. And that was aimed at the entertainment industry, too.

And how much of a difference is there when the courts have recently decided that judges can go politicking? Isn't that more dangerous?

God, what a world we live in.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 01:47 pm
About Mr. Ronald W. Reagan: he started as an actor, but later he was much more involved in the trade union activities than in acting. He proved to be a better politician than an actor, and at last he realized his political talents by becoming a President, and staying in this office for two sequential terms.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 01:55 pm
mamajuana wrote:
How about we run Martin Sheen for president?

Please do.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 01:59 pm
Does Mr. Sheen have any political agenda except opposition to war in Iraq? If not, what exactly is he supposed to do in the White House? Of course, technically it is not my business, since I am not an American voter, but I am just curious.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 02:20 pm
Steissd - according to the article, Sheen IS facing calls that he be sacked from his job!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 02:22 pm
He is the leader of America in the "West Wing"!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 02:24 pm
dyslexia:

Are we going back to the "Silent Movies"?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 02:36 pm
gosh new haven i thought Reagan was in talkies but i could be wrong
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 02:43 pm
Well, Mr. Reagan was born in 1911, and it is likely that movies he starred in were not silent. He is somewhat younger than Mr. Charles S. Chaplin, IMO (the latter was born in 1889).
0 Replies