The word "gift"

bubu

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 07:17 am
Hi guys,

Here is something I find interesting. I looked up in two dictionaries for the verb form of the word 'gift'. Neither of them had it. But the worb gift is being used as as a verb so often!!

I wish to know what the native speakers think about this. I know there are expression like: he is a gifted child. But , "gifted" here functions as an adjective. I wonder if it's natural to hear sentences like "I gifted him with a shirt" or "I gifted him a shirt"

thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 921 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:28 am
I don't know where you looked up, but there's certainly the transitive verb

Quote:
gift
Pronunciation: "
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -ed/-ing/-s
1 : to endow with some power, quality, or attribute : INVEST <the Lord gifted him with the power of forceful speech>
2 a chiefly Britain : to make a gift of <gifted the money in memory of his uncle -- British Agric. Bulletin> <I hear Her Excellency's gifted the land -- Kamala Markandaya> b : to present with a gift : PRESENT <generously gifted us with a copy -- Saturday Review> <gifted his parents with a television set -- Sydney (Australia) Sunday Telegraph> <gifted her with a large heart-shaped diamond -- Louella Parsons>

Quote:
[from the noun 'gift']Etymology: Middle English, from Old Norse gift, gipt; akin to Old English & Old High German gift, Gothic fragifts bestowal, betrothal; derivative from the root of Old English giefan to give -- more at GIVE

source: Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002
0 Replies

Valpower

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 04:54 pm
In the States, "gift" as a verb has inexplicably limited usage when referring to the giving of physical goods. Typically, it is only heard in referring to monetary endowments to an institution or, humorously, as in "re-gifted"-- the phenomenon of passing along an unwanted gift as a gift to another recipient.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 05:17 pm
"Gift" and "gifted" may be used as verbs, but they sound really clunky.

Why not:

"gave her a large heart-shaped diamond"?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 05:21 pm
"Gift" as a verb has an archaic flavor.

The word/concept is very useful for historical novels--and historical romances.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:05 pm
Means poison in German, doesn't it, Walter?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:22 pm
roger wrote:
Means poison in German, doesn't it, Walter?

Well, I do like gifts - but only in the English sense. Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:27 pm
Walter--

What about Greeks bearing gifts?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 07:36 am
There's an interesting book by a man named Marcel Mauss (I believe I have his name right) on the use of the gift in tribal societies.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:17 am
You certainly are correct :wink:

« Essai sur ledon » (1924) [= Das Geschenk (1925), The gift (1954)]is said to be his main œuvre: "a groundbreaking study of the relation between forms of exchange and social structure".
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:51 am
Walter -- I knew you'd respond to the note about Mauss.
0 Replies