What Have We Learned From The Schiavo Case?

hyper426

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 07:50 am
hey, just out of curiosity, is anyone else relieved that she is dead? I hate feeling that way, but I am just glad that it is over, well, kinda over at least
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 07:58 am
Yes. Very glad that it's over. For her sake.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 09:05 am
BBB
Terri Schiavo's brain died 15 years ago. Her body died 3/31/05.

Some people, including her blood family, were less interested in prolonging Terri Schiavo's life than they were in prolonging her death.

BBB
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 10:07 am
Kind of seems that way to me too.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 06:58 pm
on a tangent, eoe, did you draw yourself? wow, that sounds wierd
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 10:25 pm
I think the right thing was eventually done, but I must admit to having qualms about the Schiavo case.

Even though very little of the brain was left, she still only required a feeding toube to keep breathing and remain alive.

I would have felt a lot better if she had all sorts of tubes sticking out her. Tubes to substitute for kidney function, tubes for lung function, tubes for a few other functions. If that were the case, I must admit the right-to-lifers' position would seem much more obviously ridiculous than it is now.

But it only took one tube for life, such as it is, to continue.

I don't blame Michael for wanting to end it all, mind, and the attacks on him by the right-to-lifers is a clear throwback to the Spanish Inquisition.

From here on in, everybody will expect the Spanish Inquistion, if you cross the fundamentalists' path.

It's just that, in this one particular case, the line is not drawn so clearly. It takes but one tube to keep her going. That is getting close to the line.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 10:35 pm
Quote:
12) Marriage is the most sacred of all unions, except when it isn't.

As much as anything, this part leaps out about this case.

For years, we have been hearing the right wingers try to portray themselves ans the defenders of marriage and tradition.

Well, everyone knows that one part of that tradition is that the next-of-kin makes these life and death decisions for the other spouse, when these decisions have to be made.

But now all these self-styled Defenders Of Marriage start hollering their heads off, "It's not the husband who makes the call, it's the PARENTS".

They do their best to brainwash us all by referring to Terri's parents as "the family". Well, she has a family, all right. Her husband. He's her family. He's the next of kin, and it falls to him to make the life-and-death decisons. That's part of marriage.

The conservative position here is really hypocritical.
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:38 am
I learned that the hypocrisy of the right is limitless.
0 Replies