record sacks in football

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2018 08:34 am
Hi,

Could anyone please explain to me what the word "record" means: Adrian Clayborn recorded six sacks against the Cowboys on Sunday. I am wondering if it is similar to "made six sacks" in this sentence. Thanks a lot!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 614 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2018 10:13 am
@august1208,
"Record" is both a noun and a verb. When a musician records (verb) a song, he makes a tape or CD of the song he is playing. The CD, or a copy of it, that is sold in stores or on the internet is called the record (noun).

Same in sports.When a player makes a notable play, such as a goal in hockey, he records (verb) the goal. At the end of the game, or the season, or the end of his career, the number of goals he recorded (verb) becomes part of his record, (noun).

If, at the end of his career, the player has recorded more goals than anyone else in history, we say that he has "the record" for goals scored in a career.

Same thing applies to any notable play in sports that sports followers keep track of, such as sacks or touchdowns in football, home runs in baseball, points in basketball, etc.
0 Replies