a barred spiral galaxy - the rainforest expands - # 58

ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 02:44 pm
http://www.toyadz.com/toyadz/movies/dannykayemerryandrew.jpg

let's see if this pic sticks
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 06:08 pm
Thanks for the link ehBeth - wouldn't ya know it, the yeast has all the fun. The GREAT part of all that is that the by-product of yeast mating is alcohol. True story.

wayfarer,
I will begin clicking for you on 9 April and continue until you return and post here on the Wildclickers thread. Wow, in one week you leave!! That's great.

ehBeth, Danny K was funny. I see he also did Merry Andrew!!
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:32 pm
pwayfarer, how great that you're going to Malta!

You are probably familiar with the delightful goddess figurine from Malta, a rotund lady relaxing in a reclining position.

The language of Malta is great trivia fodder: the only Semitic language written with the Roman alphabet:

http://www.aboutmalta.com/grazio/study2.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 09:04 pm
Aa!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:00 pm
Yeah dlowan,
It's a miracle.

Thanks Aa for the great link!! The Maltese Cross is a good design for an aviator - ie., the Blue Max von WWI..................
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 05:48 am
Have a good Sunday all Wildclickers.................

BOINGGGGGG!!!!!!
BOINGGGGGG!!!!!!
AHEAD IN TIME!!

Clicks and Clocks are done for this day.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 07:11 am
Pity the poor people in Arizona and Hawaii. They don't get to set their clocks ahead.
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 07:15 am
rainforest 58
O! How nice to see so many great efriends on one page!

Thanks for the link, Aa. I think the "grazio" in the URL is probably Grazio Falzon whose Survival Maltese is 45 pages long. For all of the Arabic and Semitic origins, a lot of Italian and French seems to have crept in; for instance
Good Morning = Bonju
Good evening=Bonswa
but Good night = Il-lejl it-tayyeb.
Should be a fun ride!
For anyone interested, the link is

http://www.aboutmalta.com/language/survival.htm

Now why didn't that come out blue underlined?
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 07:21 am
Hum. It did get blue.
Aa- since this is an Elderhosel trip, the emphasis is on pre-historic temples. One of them - in the shape upon the landscape- is that of a reclining woman. It's 12 thousand years old and is the oldest standing temple in the word, predating even the pyramids.

As you may remember, in my earlier wayfaring days, I was going to Malta, but that date was 9/11 and everything was canceled. Wish me and the world better luck this time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 07:39 am
You and your 283 friends have supported 1,818,468.7 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 69,830.9 square feet.
You have supported: (35,586.8)
Your 283 friends have supported: (34,244.1)

American Prairie habitat supported: 33,775.0 square feet.
You have supported: (9,597.8)
Your 283 friends have supported: (24,177.2)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,714,862.8 square feet.
You have supported: (159,669.6)
Your 283 friends have supported: (1,555,193.2)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1059 41.738 acres

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rain, snow, freezing rain.
It's a heck of a day to be in Southern Ontario.
0 Replies

pwayfarer

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 09:53 am
Ebeth - oh, yuck. It's cold here, but NO SNOW. Daffodils up and almost out. Never fear. Spring is coming.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 10:05 am
Quote:
HEAVY WET SNOW IS STILL A CONCERN OVER HIGHER GROUND FROM EAST OF LONDON THROUGH THE NIAGARA PENINSULA AS WELL AS NORTH OF TORONTO TO NEAR GEORGIAN BAY. SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 15 TO 20 CENTIMETRES HAVE BEEN REPORTED IN A FEW LOCALITIES IN THE NIAGARA REGION AS WELL AS OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN IN AND AROUND DUFFERIN COUNTY.

AN ADDITIONAL 5 TO 15 CENTIMETRES IS LIKELY TODAY IN A FEW LOCALITIES IN THE ABOVE MENTIONED REGIONS. HOWEVER..IN MANY AREAS SNOW WILL BE MIXED WITH RAIN HELPING TO MINIMIZE SNOWFALL TOTALS.

OCCASIONAL HEAVY RAIN WILL BE THE MAIN CONCERN EAST OF TORONTO OVER AREAS ADJACENT TO EASTERN LAKE ONTARIO THIS AFTERNOON AS A DAYTIME CONVECTION WITH HEAVY SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS DEVELOPS.

ADDITIONAL AMOUNTS OF 25 MILLIMETRES ARE EXPECTED THIS AFTERNOON IN HEAVY SHOWERS. IN MANY AREAS THE SOIL IS STILL FROZEN OR SATURATED MAKING THE SITUATION MORE CRITICAL.

ADDITIONALLY STRONG NORTH WINDS OF 50 WITH GUSTS UP TO 70 KM/H ARE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE WITH THIS STORM.

hamburger's in the area where they're having flooding

quite a few power lines down from the weight of the snow in north-central Ontario

Hooray - it's spring!

Confused
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 01:07 pm
We had flood warnings out all weekend. Heavy downpours were expected. We got some April showers, on the wimpy side, actually. Drove up to Salem, NH today. Hadda turn the wipers on twice, for brief periods. I swear, the meterology business is the only field of endeavor I know of where one can be wrong 90 percent of the time and never fear getting fired. They make pretty good money, too, I understand. Damn! I knew I studied the wrong stuff at university.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 06:00 pm
Sunshine, blue skies, 80 degrees, trees leaving without going anywhere, flowers blooming, ginger gingering, had to mow the lawn already - - - it's gonna be long hot summer.

MA, As an aviator, I visited and spoke with many weatherpersons. They always were helpful and advised me of weather in the areas I would be flying to. After returning, about 90% of the time I would go back to the weatherperson and say, "I believe you told the truth about the weather at my destination - however, by the time I arrived the truth had changed." You are right about their jobs. grin
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 07:22 am
Monday, Mondaaaay,
Ta da da daaaaa.

All clicked.....................
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 10:40 am
Sunshine today after rain all day yesterday! Not cold though! Hurray!

Spring finally arrived!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 01:48 pm
pwayfarer wrote:
Hum. It did get blue.
Aa- since this is an Elderhosel trip, the emphasis is on pre-historic temples. One of them - in the shape upon the landscape- is that of a reclining woman. It's 12 thousand years old and is the oldest standing temple in the word, predating even the pyramids.

As you may remember, in my earlier wayfaring days, I was going to Malta, but that date was 9/11 and everything was canceled. Wish me and the world better luck this time.

Good luck... sounds like an interesting Elderhostel Excursion!

You gonna be looking for falcons??

CLICK
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 02:56 pm
Nifty bit of humor, wayfarer - since yours is an Elderhostel trip, the emphasis is on prehistoric temples.

The figure I was referring to is called "Sleeping Lady" and is shown in a photo on this Website:

http://www.my-malta.com/history/temples.html
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 05:16 pm
You and your 283 friends have supported 1,820,224.7 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 69,994.8 square feet.
You have supported: (35,610.2)
Your 283 friends have supported: (34,384.6)

American Prairie habitat supported: 33,821.8 square feet.
You have supported: (9,597.8)
Your 283 friends have supported: (24,224.0)

Rainforest habitat supported: 1,716,408.1 square feet.
You have supported: (159,716.4)
Your 283 friends have supported: (1,556,691.6)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1061 41.783 acres
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 09:09 pm
Just clicked!

Had a mix of rain and sun this weekend, but mostly rain. Did have new neighbors move into the house next door and discovered when I let my dog out Friday night that they have dogs...plural. Not just one, or two or even three...Mr. Matrix went out on our deck Saturday morning and saw that under their deck were five bowls. A little later, we let our dog out and he went bezerk at the fence...Went out to see what the commotion was all about and spied no less than 8 dogs of varying kinds and sizes roaming the yard next door. Eight...EIGHT !!! Shocked Have noticed a mobile dog grooming van in the driveway, but the new homeowners are from way out of state so know that the dogs aren't customers waiting to be groomed...

(and I'd been worried that it was a skunk the dog was going after in the dark... Rolling Eyes )
0 Replies