Tap or bottled water - which is best for you?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:02 am
Well, I got my infos (the above) from a dentist site - I remember that the mineral water sources really got a minor crisis, when this was discussed some time ago :wink:

Therefore, the mineral water I drink (which has got highest results in calcium AND natrium plus a rather high dosis of fluoride), had to opene a new source, with less fluorides.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:05 am
It's been removed from a lot of municipal water supplies here, after being added for a number of years. The medical evidence turned out to be not so hugely in favour of it.

When I did a tour of the water plant where hamburger lives, the manager told us he was quite worried, as they had to add fluoride to water that went to the military base (Canadian army requirement) - but the pipe also supplied a part of the city where it didn't need to be added. Too much of a possibly good thing can be a bad thing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:07 am
I use bottled water. Like Coke, mine is tap water prepared by reverse osmosis. It tastes better, makes prettier ice cubes, and doesn't leave a mineral deposit in the ice cube trays. Healthier? I don't know.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:12 am
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

All a bit worrying! A case to TOO MUCH fluoride in the water supply being harmful? Or that none was better than any?

It's made a huge improvement in the dental health of post-fluoride folk here, ehBeth. No doubt about that.

This is something I need to find out more about!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:25 am
Most dentists here simply do an annual application of a fluoride paste at the end of cleaning. More controlled - most of us don't need extra fluoride running through our bodies - just need it on our teeth.

lots of adverse studies out there

http://www.mercola.com/2000/sep/10/green_tea_fluoride_thyroid.htm

Quote:
There are NO double-blind studies anywhere proving the efficacy of fluoride as a caries preventative (17). There ARE double-blind studies proving adverse health effects, at the level of 1ppm (1mg/l) in water.(18) There are no studies documenting safety at any intake level..

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/10/prweb171005.htm

Quote:
Fluoride actually decays teeth at levels slightly above what dentists recommend.

New York (PRWEB) October 24, 2004 -- Cavities rise significantly with increasing fluoride content of the drinking water, report Wondwossen and colleagues in the October 2004 dental journal, Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology.

Quote:
Cavities developed in 45% and 62% of adolescents in moderately and highly fluoridated areas with an average of 1.2 and 1.8 decayed, missing, and filled permanent teeth, respectively.

In the U.S., fluoride chemicals get added to water supplies to reach approximately 1 mg/L or 1 part per million. But fluoride content of foods (2), beverages, medicines, dental products and air pollution increase daily fluoride intake to an unknown quantity. This means total fluoride intake can push children into the fluoride danger zone. This may be why many fluoridated U.S. cities face cavity crises today. (3)

Dentist and researcher Hardy Limeback, Head of the Preventive Dentistry Department at the University of Toronto says, "These low water fluoride exposures are typical of what U.S. children experience. The evidence is piling up that our kids can be harmed rather than helped if their fluoride exposure is excessive."

http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/positions/statements/fluoride.asp

The ADA v the FDA

http://www.oramd.com/toothpastewarning.htm

Quote:
The FDA lists fluoride as an "unapproved new drug" and the EPA lists fluoride as a "contaminant". Fluoride has never received "FDA Approval" and is considered to be a toxic waste product from the fertilizer industry.

A July 1998 report for The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry states that at least 22% of all American children now have dental fluorosis as a result of ingesting too much fluoride. Fluorosis is light spots and discoloration forming on developing teeth of children. In advanced cases pitting of teeth can occur.

Fluoride has been linked to many harmful health effects including: Alzheimer's, kidney damage, gastrointestinal problems, cancer, genetic damage, neurological impairment, bone and tooth decay, arthritis, and osteoporosis. Check the Internet for government and scientific reports validating this see http://www.zerowasteamerica.org/Fluoride.htm.

Battelle released the results of its study of fluorides and rats in April 1989. The study showed a dose-dependent relationship between the incidence of oral cancerous tumors and fluorides. After learning this, the National Cancer Institute did a study and found that as exposure to fluoridation increases, so does the incidence of oral cancer; sometimes by as much as 50%.

In 1990 forty US dentist brought a case against the American Dental Association contending that the Association purposefully shielded the public from data that links fluoride to genetic defects, cancer and other health problems (Columbus Dispatch, Oct 21, 1990). Since 1990 over 45 US cities have rejected fluoridation. Ninety eight percent of Europe's drinking water is now fluoride free.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:36 am
Wow, ehBeth! Lots of information there! Thank you!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:43 am
we get our watersupply from lake ontario. while it passes all the tests for purity, it does not taste very good. fresh from the tap it usually still smells of chlorine. mrs h and i usually drink several glasses of water a day. we use a 'britta' filter to remove some of the bad taste from the water used for drinking and cooking. we also drink a variety of european 'mineral' waters; mrs h favours 'apollinaris' and 'gerolsteiner' ; i often drink 'jordanka' from poland or 'radanska' from slovenia. we simply enjoy the somewhat lemony taste of mineral water (mrs h is supposed to drink 'apollinaris' to help her slight liver problem and aid digestion. when she was a nurse in germany many moons ago, 'der herr professor' recommend that she drink a glass or two a day to benefit her health - seems to have worked well so far). hbg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:47 am
ehBeth

Very frightening reading! Shocked
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:51 am
That's why you had the 'bunfight', msOlga.
Lots of arguments about the stuff.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:54 am
hamburger wrote:
we get our watersupply from lake ontario. while it passes all the tests for purity, it does not taste very good. fresh from the tap it usually still smells of chlorine. mrs h and i usually drink several glasses of water a day. we use a 'britta' filter to remove some of the bad taste from the water used for drinking and cooking. we also drink a variety of european 'mineral' waters; mrs h favours 'apollinaris' and 'gerolsteiner' ; i often drink 'jordanka' from poland or 'radanska' from slovenia. we simply enjoy the somewhat lemony taste of mineral water (mrs h is supposed to drink 'apollinaris' to help her slight liver problem and aid digestion. when she was a nurse in germany many moons ago, 'der herr professor' recommend that she drink a glass or two a day to benefit her health - seems to have worked well so far). hbg

Wow, hamburger, you are connoisseurs!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 08:57 am
ehBeth wrote:
That's why you had the 'bunfight', msOlga.
Lots of arguments about the stuff.

The bunfight breaks out again, from time to time, ehBeth. It's been a particularly emotive debate, I can tell you!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:01 am
when i have my annual luncheon with my former boss who is now past 85, he usually taps at his teeth and says : "still my own teeth thanks to fluoride". i wonder how important/dangerous fluoride really is. i think often so-called 'scientific' studies are used to prove/ disprove just about anything. just listening to the 'latest' medical evidence makes your head spin : drink coffee/don't drink coffee, consume alcohol/don't consume alcohol ... and so on (of course my boss' good teeth can probably be attributed to him having been born in east-prussia - must be those prussian genes giving him good teeth , he, heh). hbg

(see below what homer simpson has to say about this, more smiles !)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:09 am
Silly argument

In most civilised countries (and for the point of discussion I will include Australia), there is no material difference between tap and bottled water.

Its only the advertising hype that gets people to shell out £1.50 for a bottle of Perrier or similar.

My advice, buy one bottle Perrier then keep filling it from the tap. If you serve it to other people they will never know.

If however your local water company gets its water f rom a muddy hole near a sewage treatment works...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:13 am
hamburger

I can tell you that the introduction of fluoride to the water supply here has definitely improved the teeth of the younger folk who've grown up with it. They have had nothing like the problems of cavities, fillings, etc, of their pre-fluoride elders. As for the frightening side effects I'm reading about here - Who knows? I guess only time will tell?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:19 am
I'd have to question whether the change is due to the fluoride, or a more overall change in circumstances. As one of the links pointed out, there have been no double-blind studies on this.

It's similar to the increased height of kids these days. Is it due to better food or increased antibiotics/steroids in the public water supply? Will we be able to tease out the results?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:23 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Silly argument

In most civilised countries (and for the point of discussion I will include Australia), there is no material difference between tap and bottled water.

Its only the advertising hype that gets people to shell out £1.50 for a bottle of Perrier or similar.

My advice, buy one bottle Perrier then keep filling it from the tap. If you serve it to other people they will never know.

If however your local water company gets its water f rom a muddy hole near a sewage treatment works...

Apparently not so silly, as I read the posts here, Steve. A lot of serious health issues to be considered, apparently. What's in your water supply? What's in that bottle of water you bought? Not so straight forward at all ....

I do agree with you about the advertising hype, though.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:30 am
ehBeth wrote:
I'd have to question whether the change is due to the fluoride, or a more overall change in circumstances. As one of the links pointed out, there have been no double-blind studies on this.

It's similar to the increased height of kids these days. Is it due to better food or increased antibiotics/steroids in the public water supply? Will we be able to tease out the results?

Well, it's generally ascribed to fluoride here, ehBeth. As for the introduction of increased antibiotics/steroids in the public water supply, I honestly don't know about that. (Why on earth would steroids be added to our water supply? How very odd. Confused ) I think I need to find out more about the situation at my local level. Definitely.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:34 am
There are some studies that suggest that the medications we pee out are found in our water supplies, and come back in through our water pipes. Antibiotics/steroids feature big in those articles.

Back later, in a fast scrabble game!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:38 am
mostly dihydroxygen .

I hope.

All tap water has to meet national standards. Its just as "good" for you as bottled water. There is no magic ingredient or non ingredient that makes bottled or mineral water better for you.

We ingest all sorts of chemicals into our bodies. You can't get away from them, they are in the environment and in the food chain. IMO it would be better to demand bottled "clean" air for people to breathe than bottled water.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 09:41 am
At my place the tap water is hit or miss. Sometimes it tastes fine, and sometimes it tastes absolutely awful. I buy water by the gallon, it's cheap enough that way. Buying a 16oz bottle at the store is a huge rippoff.
0 Replies