I need advice on maps, please help

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 03:01 am
I hope someone takes the time to help me out here.........

I know there's online views of maps, but does anyone know where I can actually purchase (a big fold out map or book) that has pages with different sections with an alphabetical index in the back or front for the streets for the state of California, so I can easily find the name of a street and I can just turn to that page in the book to locate it? Or if it comes in the form of a fold out map, that would be fine, too,

I looked on Amazon and other places, but I'm not sure which ones are the right ones to get, you know? I'm not familiar, so if you can give me a specific link to the actual item that I'm talking about, that would be great.

I'd appreciate it, thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 747 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 03:25 am
this sitehas some detailed street maps...
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 03:38 am
Region Philbis wrote:
this sitehas some detailed street maps...

I appreciate it, but I need a map or book that I can buy so i can have it with me in the car while I go driving around Cali.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 05:36 am
De Lorme or Maptech have entire CD ROM coverage of all states, then when you wish to drive an area, you can dowload various scaled maps of the state. The entire state costs about 99 bucks so it includes every topo map.
A free service byBill Gates http//:www.terraserver.microsoft.com has all the topo maps of the entire country and their accompanying airphotos. This is free but you can lose a lot of time playing .
AMD makes map books of all the states and if its a glossy atlas you want, theyre your go-to guys.
Good Luck
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 05:39 am
hmmm, not making hotlinks this morning. Well, its not like its hard to remember. just type out the URL
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 06:02 am
Any large bookstore, like Barnes and Noble or Amazon will have books like that. I would suggest that you look through the book yourself, rather than buy it online, so you will make sure that the book has the information that you need.

Link
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 08:26 am
DeLorme Publishing's Atlas and Gazetteer Series offers extremely accurate, detailed maps for all 50 states. Each Gazetteer is a folio-sized soft-cover book consisting of many pages of large, very legible topographic maps covering an area of a few degrees longitude by a few degrees latitude overlaid with landmark, street, and highway info for an entire state (in the case of California, Northern Ca and Southern Ca are separate volumes). In addition, each volume features larger scale breakouts for larger cities, showing every named street. All roads and features are indexed. Accurate enough for outback hiking, they are incredibly useful as well for the motorist. At around $20.00 ea, they're available at most well-stocked book and periodical outlets.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 08:34 am
farmerman wrote:
hmmm, not making hotlinks this morning. Well, its not like its hard to remember. just type out the URL

If the colon is placed correctly, the hotlink is just fine :wink:

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com

http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com <---- See? Laughing
0 Replies