Terri Shiavo is a feminist issue says Bay Buchanan

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 04:52 pm
I've tried to stay out of the Terri Shiavo threads because I don't feel like my opinion on this has any relevance and even less impact on what is happening.

But today I saw Bay Buchanan on TV saying that feminist should rise up and speak out about saving Terri because she is being treated "like her husband's property".

WHAT?

Isn't Bay Buchanan one of those Promise Keeper windbags that say women should be subserviant to their husbands?

I found this quote by her beloved husband Pat: "I know this is painful for the ladies to hear, but if you get married, you have accepted the headship of a man, your husband. Christ is the head of the household and the husband is the head of the wife, and that's the way it is, period".

(I suspect Bay is going to have hell to pay when she gets home tonight.)

I never thought I'd live to see the day when ol' Bay became the new Germaine Greer.

What do you think of Bay Buchanan's position on this feminst issue?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 843 • Replies: 13
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 04:53 pm
I think they're just looking for new angles.

Sigh.

She is her parent's property then?

Double sigh.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 04:56 pm
She's Pat's sister.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 05:00 pm
Thanks, Lash. My mistake.

Still, that doesn't change much.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 05:05 pm
It helps me out with a severely traumatizing mental image...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 05:06 pm
Hahahahaha.

We would not want that to happen.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 05:11 pm
Oh, baloney. It has nothing whatsoever with feminism. If the roles were reversed, and it were Michael wao was in a PVS, would people say that he was being treated like "Terri's property"?.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 05:12 pm
Yeah. I think the Right is starting to trot it out almost as much as the left.

Sort of like a "Nyah nyah..."
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 05:13 pm
Since i don't see an obvious one, and i'm not american, does somebody want to enlighten me Re: Terri Shiavo??
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 05:52 pm
Oh Bekaboo.

Google "Terri Shiavo" and see what happens. It's a 15 year story in the making with legal wrangling going on for the last 7 or so years.

I don't think I could write it up in any unbiased way and since I'm trying to avoid stating an opinion on it I don't think I'm the one to fill you in.

There are many heated A2K debates raging on it right now. I suggest you check it out.

I agree that this latest twist is absolute baloney.

Both sides of the political spectrum have indeed been guilty of illogical arguments but this one is just so far way, way beyond anything else.

It was almost as funny as The Daily Show.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 05:59 pm
Except it's not funny. It's just a tragedy any way you look at it. I hope the poor woman passes soon and rests in peace.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 06:09 pm
Yes, J_B, I agree that this whole thing isn't funny at all.

But Bay Buchanan trying to represent a feminist perspective and rally a feminist revolt is pretty damn absurd.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 07:06 pm
These are the same people that claim abortion rights are anti-woman. They believe that a woman who choses to have an abortion is being exploited by a society that does not value her role as mother and "life giver".

I agree with JB let her RIP - if these people truly believe in God I don't understand why they would want to keep their beloved hooked up to artifical means and thus defy the rules of life given by the Creator - go figure. They are the same people against stem cell research, the very kind of research that might have made a difference in healing people like Terri.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 08:58 pm
Well. That's sort of odd.

Bay Buchanan is a very strong, accomplished woman. I hope it won't be long before a woman who has a different view than the Democrat agenda can be known as either a Feminist--or more importantly-- a strong, individualistic, self-sufficient female, who promotes the sccess of other females.
0 Replies