What's up with my coworkers?

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2018 10:00 am
Hello everybody, this is my first post, so please be gentle on me if I'm posting in a wrong category Smile
I've been now frustrated with my coworkers for some time and I came across this forum so I want to give it a shot.
Most recently one of my coworkers stopped talking to me. She says good morning but that's where it ends. I guess it started after I tried to help her fix the computer problem and she was giving me an attitude so I asked her to stop and suggested she should read more about the topic instead of clicking without even reading what is asking her. Then I went on 4 weeks vacation, but when I got back it seemed to get worse. On the first day back to work, she said hi and welcome back. But before she got to her desk, she spent at least 10-15 mins talking to everybody else how their weekend was. I brought some sweets back from my trip that she didn't even bother saying thank you. So after about 3 hours i asked her how she liked them and she only rolled her eyes and then after lunch she e-mailed me, yes she e-mailed (she sits about 6m away from my desk) to thank me and wrote that she was too busy to say thank you. HUH? Anyway, she is a very messy person and she has her work stuff on a piece of equipment I need to use from time to time to do my job. Each time I want to use it, I have to either ask her to clean it or do it myself. Ive been asking her for years to keep it clean so I don't have to go through that and I just asked her nicely again. I think she should have been less mad at me if I murdered her friend instead. She snapped at me when I tried to offer a compromise that she is busy and don't want to deal with it. But she hasn't dealt with it for years, so not sure when the right time would be for her. It's very frustrating but I don't want to change my job, cause I like it. Bosses are great and I like what I do. Plus there is a big chance at my next job there may be a different person just as coo-coo as she is. Any idea how to approach person like that???
Thank you!

ehBeth

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2018 10:12 am
@vroadrunner,
vroadrunner wrote:
I guess it started after I tried to help her fix the computer problem

are you the technical/computer support person for your office?
chai2

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2018 10:14 am
@ehBeth,
I also wondered if this coworker actually asked for help.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2018 12:25 pm
@vroadrunner,
Reads to me as if you're in love with her.

Look, if the space which you have to use has been messy all this time, it's highly unlikely she will suddenly change and keep it all nice and neat. If the higher ups aren't overly concerned, then just accept it as part of who she is.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2018 12:34 pm
@vroadrunner,
vroadrunner wrote:

Bosses are great and I like what I do.

Did you bury the lead? Is she your supervisor? Your manager? Higher? If yes, she technically isn't a coworker. Tread lightly.

Quote:
I brought some sweets back from my trip that she didn't even bother saying thank you.

That just might be a personality flaw on her part. You shouldn't be in the position to ... teach adults the art of good manners. Just roll with this and be extra polite to her and your coworkers. Maybe she'll pick it up after being exposed to good courtesy... or not.

Quote:
HUH? Anyway, she is a very messy person and she has her work stuff on a piece of equipment I need to use from time to time to do my job. Each time I want to use it, I have to either ask her to clean it or do it myself. She snapped at me when I tried to offer a compromise that she is busy and don't want to deal with it. But she hasn't dealt with it for years, so not sure when the right time would be for her.

Do you have a third party HR rep or office manager who you can bring this up to? If you do? Let them diplomatically handle this... if you feel confident that there will not be any blowback because the employee in question might be a bigwig in the hierarchy.

Office politics sucks. Be careful if this person is... a tad hypocritical, not very attentive, and especially not particularly courteous.
0 Replies

Eian Mcneely

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2018 11:09 pm
@vroadrunner,
Seems like you have feelings for her and She also knows it but don't want to pursue this and is willing to draw lines on it..
0 Replies

daverod

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2018 08:30 pm
@vroadrunner,
Quote:
Hello everybody, this is my first post, so please be gentle on me if I'm posting in a wrong category Smile

gentle? wait until the mods hear of this...
0 Replies