OCCOM FOOLISHNESS Strikes again! New Restaurant opening soon

mac11

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 11:22 pm
Damn, Bill, I'm sorry to hear about the restaurants. I hope the legal woes end quickly and painlessly and you can move on to the next interesting chapter.

(((((OBill)))))
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 11:23 pm
Bummer, kid. I wish you well in whatever you decide to do next.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 11:30 pm
Thanks ladies. Smile I can't get in any more legal trouble than I deserve. I'm guilty. Embarrassed <shrugs> No worries. Already did my bumming about that.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 11:36 pm
Sorry to be reading the bad news. Like the others who have commented, I believe you will get back up and do well in a future venture.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 12:36 am
Well, seems it became worse than what we talked about some time, Bill. Crying or Very sad

Okay, **** happens and I'm sure that you'll manage to find your new luck - and better perspectives.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 14 Jan, 2007 01:43 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Sorry to be reading the bad news. Like the others who have commented, I believe you will get back up and do well in a future venture.
Yup. It was one of them sh!tstorms that just wouldn't quit there for a while. Thanks for the kind words.
You too Edgar. You're a kind man. Smile
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 04:40 pm
Just saw this thread, that sucks. Hope everything works out, and if you need help getting rid of the booze I can be over in about an hour.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 05:00 pm
Laughing Good lookin out Sublime. I'll call you if it comes to that.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 05:43 pm
"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"

Vincent Van Gogh
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:06 pm
Great quote, 2packs.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2007 06:07 pm
Hmmm, Eva has a point there..
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 02:29 am
2PacksAday wrote:
"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?"

Vincent Van Gogh

Yep!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 04:47 pm
Update time. A couple of weeks ago; I consulted one of the better attorney's in the area for assistance with my battery and disorderly conduct charges. Embarrassed He told me that I had drawn the worst possible District Attorney, and that any attempts to budge her on her recommendation would fall on deaf ears, so my options were to fight the charges (without much hope since I'm guilty), accept her plea offer of two Months incarceration as a condition of two years probation (Shocked), or take my chances with the Judge. In exchange for his exorbitant fee, he informed me the best I could hope for would be to get the Judge to cut the D.A.'s recommendation in half (1 month incarceration as a condition of 1 year's probation… but warned me that by turning down the D.A's offer; the Judge may decide to punish me even more harshly. Some terrific options, those. Confused

So, once again OCCOM BILL chose to take on a fool for a client, and defend myself. Rolling Eyes Some of you may remember how that turned out last time. Embarrassed So I wrote up a 2.5 page explanation titled "In lieu of a defense for that which is indefensible, the defendant asks the Court only that the following be considered before sentencing." In it, I thoroughly admitted my guilt, explained the recent hardships I've suffered and asked the Court to take my word for it that I am not the idiot I was the day in question. I think I did a hell of job.

So, I met with the District Attorney for what is known as a "pretrial", presumably to barter a better deal. Nothing doing. She refused to even read the document I handed her, wouldn't budge on her recommendation, and warned me of the consequences of not accepting her offer. Precisely what the attorney I'd interviewed told me she would do. Rolling Eyes

So now I have a choice. Accept 2 months in jail as a condition of 2 years probation, or take my chances with a maximum sentence of 1 year in Jail and $11,000 in fines. Shocked Tough decision, that. So, what do I do? Screw it. I'm going to retell my tale to the Judge, hope he'll bother to read it, and hope beyond all hope that at worst he'll punish me as bad as the D.A. wishes. Confused

So today I went to Court with an idiot for an attorney (me), figuring if the big shot thinks he can only cut the sentence in half (at best), I may as well give it my own best shot. Rolling Eyes The Judge spent what seemed to be an inordinate amount of time questioning my sanity for A. representing myself, B. Pleading guilty to the charges and C. rejecting the D.A.'s offer of a NON-binding plea agreement. After he was satisfied that I was competent enough to arrive at my foolish decisions, and that he couldn't talk me into seeking council, he accepted my pleas of Guilty to both charges.

Next he asked the D.A. to explain the reasons for sentence he sought (assistant D.A… the woman I spoke with wasn't present). Then it was my turn. Shocked I handed the clerk a copy of the 2.5 page explanation and a second courtesy copy to the D.A. A little to my surprise, and a lot to my satisfaction; the Judge (unlike the D.A.) actually read what I had written… maybe twice. When he next looked up, I thought I heard him say he was "flattered", though I know not what would have flattered him. I imagine he was probably a little stunned that a defendant would so thoroughly admit his guilt and accept responsibility for his actions. He then asked me if he understood correctly that I was asking for no probation (I had explained that I currently have an opportunity to take a job that will take me to Costa Rica, if I can put this behind me in short order… which is true, and I also furnished a letter to "whom it may concern" from the company I've been consulting for.) He seemed a bit disappointed… and I'd guess he was thinking along the lines of Probation in lieu of jail. I answered that frankly, I'd like to avoid jail or probation if possible and offered my most earnest smile. To my surprise; he smiled as well and answered that he has to sentence me to something, to which I replied "of course."

Next, in a tone that sounded almost apologetic and reaching for a reason for leniency, he asked if there was any justification for my actions. I replied "none whatsoever" and hung my head ever so slightly in earnest. Next, he states "I don't see anyway around the fact that alcohol was involved (no doubt, insuring treatment for same is the reason they like to sentence probation). To this I responded; "at .37 your honor, I don't know what I was doing upright. I have no recollection from hours before the incident and I'm lucky I didn't lay down in traffic or hurt somebody", with a defeated shrug. (This was followed by a good minute of silent thought collecting). Next, he asks the D.A. about my record… which is a lot of trouble from late 88 to 91, but the only thing recent he read off was the Disorderly Conduct I received in 99? (stepped out onto Lambeau Field after a Packer Game :razz:). Everyone seemed to get a laugh out of that. D.A. finishes with something to the effect of "in light of the defendant's long history of trouble, I think the recommended sentence is justified. I could tell it was my final opportunity to speak, without getting hammered for talking out of turn (happened a couple times :wink:)… so I said " Your honor; I really don't think you'd be protecting society from anything by taking me off the streets. Aside from stepping on the grass at Lambeau field and this display of idiocy; I've been a pretty good guy for a couple of decades.

This must have rung true, because after about 2 minutes of silence and scribbling: He sentenced me to a $400 dollar fine for each offense. I was completely stunned and the D.A. about sh!t himself. Laughing

The moral of the story? Sometimes the old "I'm sorry. I was wrong. And, it will never happen again" still trumps any possible defense or excuse making. Chalk one up for the good (bad) guy!
Cool
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 05:26 pm
Good grief!!!

I'm awfully glad that had a happy ending... I was bracing myself.

(Good news about that job in Costa Rica, too!)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 06:17 pm
Bill- I feel like cheering. People are so used to excuses, evasions, distortions of reality, and outright lying, that unfortunately, it is a shock to hear someone own up to a misdeed, and freely acknowledge responsibility.

I think that you are one great guy, and I am really pleased that things went well for you. Very Happy
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 06:45 pm
Whew!

Man, what a story. Well done, Bill. Ya done good. I wish I'd been there, I could have jumped up and cheered --- ok, nemmind.

Congrats!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 07:46 pm
Speak the truth and shame the devil.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 08:03 pm
Yup, speak the truth, and hope that the one hearing it understands you!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 08:04 pm
Bill, that was quite a story and I will have to admit that you are one lucky bastard for escaping with such minimal consequences, but I am at a disadvantage here because I am not familiar with the particulars involved.

Did you get drunk and beat someone up?

I await your reply or, at the very least, would you be kind enough to steer me to the thread (or if on this thread, the appropriate page) so that I may peruse the details and catch myself up in this rather sordid and mysterious affair.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 7 Feb, 2007 08:04 pm
I can understand why you're still addicted to tobacco, my friend, I would be too!
0 Replies