OCCOM FOOLISHNESS Strikes again! New Restaurant opening soon

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 05:18 pm
Embarrassed I'll try BigD... I'll try...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 05:55 pm
I have a completely unrelated question. What the hell does OCCOM mean? All this time I've been arguing against almost everything you say, and I don't even know what OCCOM means. That's sad, isn't it? So what is the answer, OCCOM BILL?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 06:23 pm
Maybe, it's an abbreviation of "hoccum." * hokum
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 06:28 pm
It's a misspelling that got a life of its own...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 06:33 pm
I see an earlier post didn't take. But it essentially was a one-up on all of you that I will happily give Phoenix a tour of our area and it won't involve any floors at all. It will depend on how desperate I get between now and then to say whether it might involve washing windows however.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 06:34 pm
I've always assume (maybe wrongly) that the occam was the same occam as in Occam's razor.

Here's a definition I googled.

The principle states that the explanation of any phenomenon should make as few assumptions as possible, eliminating, or "shaving off", those that make no difference in the observable predictions of the explanatory hypothesis or theory.

If the shoe fits. . .
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 06:51 pm
Kicky, both Osso and Roberta are correct. All things being equal; the simplest solution tends to be the correct one. I've stuck with the erroneous spelling, because OCCOM doesn't mean anything, so it tends to be available whenever I sign up for something new.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 07:03 pm
Bill, that is not unlike my sticking with ossobuco as a name (what was I thinking? well, it was the first italian word I thought of after pizza....)
You at least meant your name...

Thinking, could I even now move to Costa Rica? that could interest me, but I am figuring there are anglo retiree colonies, so not me, and a land where I would flounder with the language even more than I do in Italy, the language of which I've studied and still am bad at.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 07:39 pm
Hi Bill....I seem to have managed to miss all this previously.

I am truly, deeply sorry about the tough stuff you have been facing (although your politics still stink!). I do hope that the move to CR works brilliantly for you.

And yes, the admission and apology will have made the judge's day.

So few folk judges see ever did anything wrong, in their own eyes, you see.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Bill))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 07:41 pm
Osso, darling; over 10% of Costa Rican resident's are expatriates, the natives are among the most educated on earth (probably half speak at least some English), and Spanish is by far the simplest language to learn. The people are exceedingly friendly and helpful and if need be, a native guide/translator can be had for practically nothing beyond meals. One day when I was trying to conduct business there; a young man volunteered to accompany me and I had to argue with him about taking more than dinner for his trouble. Insofar as there was some culture shock, it was a very positive shock indeed.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 07:43 pm
Like Kicky, I have always been curious about the Occom meaning and origin, and now that I have found out I believe I was happier not knowing in the first place.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 07:53 pm
Thanks Deb!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 08:45 pm
gus, Use my "interpretation." LOL
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 09:04 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Like Kicky, I have always been curious about the Occom meaning and origin, and now that I have found out I believe I was happier not knowing in the first place.

Bill told all of us at the A2K gathering in Chicago. I was stunned. (I thought Occom was the name of a small town in Wisconsin.)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 09:07 pm
That was actually my speculation as well, wandel, proving, I guess, that we are both geniuses.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 09:19 pm
Bill told us what?

I was probably over by the piano...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 09:23 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Bill told us what?

I was probably over by the piano...

The meaning of "Occom", which, as it turns out, was a misspelling on Bill's part, as he had Occam's Razor in mind when choosing the nickname.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 09:25 pm
But, wait, silly, I'm the one who told you that. Bill posted re that a long time ago.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 09:27 pm
I think you are mistaken, osso. Put the whiskey back in the cupboard.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 09:32 pm
I was doing a little reading on Occam's Razor, just to freshen up my knowledge, and stumbled across William of Ockham's photo...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7d/Occam.jpg/100px-Occam.jpg

Is it just me, or does anyone else believe the hair stylists of the day should have been immediately placed on the chopping block before they wreaked any more damage by creating such filamentous projections as displayed?
0 Replies