Does anyone remember the Mayflower club in Manchester UK?

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 02:48 pm
Just want to know if anyone remembers the Mayflower club in Manchester UK? It was a Punk venue in the 70s Situated in the Belle Vue area of Manchester. I saw quite a few bands there Angelic Upstarts...Exploited..Dead Kennedys...Did anyone else go to these gigs? and who did you see?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 24 • Views: 28,255 • Replies: 124

smorgs

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 03:36 pm
Welcome to A2k mitierra...so nice to hear from someone else from Manchester (centre of the universe). I personally don't know of the Mayflower...I was much more of a disco girl, but I do just about remember The twisted wheel, oh and I went to see Peter Frampton at Belle View, 73 or 74? not sure. I always think of the Zoo at Belle View, and stock car racing, and of course 'the dogs' :wink:
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 03:51 pm
Well, I've never been to Manchester, but I once saw the Dead Kennedys (in Portland, OR, USA) and once the Angelic Upstarts (in Seattle).

I recall that the latter was preceded on stage by the playing of some eerie synth theme from "Clockwork Orange." It was cool...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 04:33 pm
I once visited the Hacienda in the early '90s.

I realize this is completely non-responsive .... but as an "honorary Mancunian" I thought I might throw that out anyway.

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

MiTierra43

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:59 am
So what are the Manchester 70s Punks Doing now then?
Guess its cocoa and slippers time these days....My how the years fly by!!
And ain't it depressing when you realise that most of the guys fronting the bands you used to pogo in front of and gob at are pushing 50 and 60 years old now ....just going for my cocoa...
Dartagnan

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 11:10 am
It's worse when these geezers reunite for a tour. It's OK for country musicians, but aging rock stars? Of course, there are enough geezer fans out there to make it worthwhile...
0 Replies

MiTierra43

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 02:15 pm
Manchester Punk venues
So did anyone go to see any live punk bands at Manchester Students Union Oxford Road in the 70s???....there must be one of you out there??
Don1

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 05:25 pm
smorgs wrote:
Welcome to A2k mitierra...so nice to hear from someone else from Manchester (centre of the universe). I personally don't know of the Mayflower...I was much more of a disco girl, but I do just about remember The twisted wheel, oh and I went to see Peter Frampton at Belle View, 73 or 74? not sure. I always think of the Zoo at Belle View, and stock car racing, and of course 'the dogs' :wink:

Twisted wheel early 70's Oh boy I've been there a time or two. You dont have any fair haired sons that are starting to go bald at the age of 31 ish do you smorgs? If you do we need to talk Embarrassed
0 Replies

mcgateaublaster

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 02:23 am
The Mayflower club
Yes I used to go to the Mayflower, opposite Belle Vue speedway, If I remember correctly. It was probably about 1980/81, I saw Vice squad, Anti pasti, Discharge, The Exploited, the Varukas, and I think The Damned after a CND Rally. there was a bouncer with what appeared to be a glass eye who used to threaten that we wouldn't get in if we didn't form an orderly queue! I think it had been a cinema called the Regal or Rex? I remember having the misfortune of meeting Garry Bushell there, as well. I also recall being asked for 10p by a member of Blitz.
smorgs

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 03:05 am
Welcome to A2K mcgateaublaster!

Do you still live in Manchester?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 17 May, 2005 11:39 am
Re: The Mayflower club
mcgateaublaster wrote:
Yes I used to go to the Mayflower, opposite Belle Vue speedway, If I remember correctly. It was probably about 1980/81, I saw Vice squad, Anti pasti, Discharge, The Exploited, the Varukas, and I think The Damned after a CND Rally. there was a bouncer with what appeared to be a glass eye who used to threaten that we wouldn't get in if we didn't form an orderly queue! I think it had been a cinema called the Regal or Rex? I remember having the misfortune of meeting Garry Bushell there, as well. I also recall being asked for 10p by a member of Blitz.

I would love to have seen the Damned 25 years ago...Was Sensible still in the band when you saw them?
0 Replies

mike66

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2008 05:18 pm
macgateaublaster - a bit late catching up on this post, but we must have been at the same gigs - Saturday afternoon gigs Disharge, Exploited, Anti-Pasti, Varukers - all around 81/82
Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 17 Jan, 2008 11:28 am
Re: The Mayflower club
mcgateaublaster wrote:

Somebody told me she went to a hardcore punk gig once and there were some people jumping up and down (doing that pogo dance thing) in the crowd holding razor blades! Is she winding me up or what?
0 Replies

woodyPF

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 11:22 am
ye, went 2 mayflower between 1978 + 1979, saw joy division at stuff the superstars gig, crass, ruts and a few more punk bands.
the mayflower seems to be in a black void that nobody seems to remember.
0 Replies

philriley427

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 10:12 am
The Mayflower, Manchester.
I was in a shitty punk band with some mates in the late 70s. We used to go to the mayflower watching bands like Joy Div, Adam and the Ants (when they were good), Crass etc.
I joined another band in Jan 1981. A week later I had my first live performance when we supported The Exploited at The Mayflower.
I Played there a few more times later, with bands... Infa Riot, Angelic Upstarts, The Four Skins. We appeared on compilation albums and released our 7" EP 'Vinyl Overload'.
I was later head-hunted by Muppet and his mates and formed The Brigade. We played all the best Manchester clubs at the time. With some great bands too... Xmal Deutchland, Jason and the Scorchers, Gay Bikers on Acid, The Stone Roses, Buthole Surfers, The Red Skins, Happy Mondays, Chameleons to mention a few...
philriley427

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 10:24 am
The Mayflower
God, the memories are flooding back.

Anyone remember Neville and the other West Indian guys. Always playing dominoes at the back of the venue near the cloak room/food bar. Oh, and Cyril the club manager. I wonder if the fat Fukcer's still alive. Used to hear all sorts of creepy 5hit he used to get up to. All hearsay, mind you.

I remember driving past the club back in about 1983/4. It had just been demolished. I took a brick home and gave it to my younger brother, who was also a fan of the Club.
MorecambePunksGreeny

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2008 08:50 am
Manchester Belle Vue
just thought i'd chuck in my memories of manchester whilst the brain is still functioning - best ever memory of an early manchester gig was at bell bue seeing The Damned with the Ruts supporting....was an amazing gig - first time I'd heard smashi it up part 1 done live - I knicked a can opener dangling from Captains trousers when he came near...my older tougher mater then nicked it and proceeded to wear it for the next 5-10 years. marvelous what crap you're able to recollect when prompted.
0 Replies

ancient punk

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 05:50 am
Wow 20 odd years ago. The mayflower was a west indian club when the punk nights were'nt on. Best thing was they had 2 gigs on a saturday under 18's in the afternoons and over 18's at night but when they locked the doors in the afternoon they opened the bar. Happy days. Cyril and his mate (can't remember hi name also did the door at the poly and were security guards at the megastore on oxford road. I also remember the damned/ ruts dc at belle vue it was quite a rough gig. Does anyone remember the varicose veins they played at the mayflower a lot and the captain got them to support the damned at manchestr uni
spendius

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 07:24 am
@ancient punk,
So-let's see. That makes you about, say, going on 40, 50 if you were a late developer. How are you wearing? Do you still do a minute's silence on Sid's anniversary? There were only two punks. The rest were imitators.

Have you started asking the barber to trim the hairs in your nostrils yet?
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 09:20 am
@spendius,
I see you're still bringing bouquets of daisies and rays of sunshine wherever you roam, spendi.