Does anyone remember the Mayflower club in Manchester UK?

varicose veins

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 07:06 am
@ancient punk,
Hi.I cant remember the name but as you said it was a risky venue/area.I only went about 4 or 5 times Uk subs,Joy division,Teardrop explodes and one moe but icant remember the band.Remember the Osbourne club i saw a secret Banshees gig in aid of the Eric club in Liverpool.
tattoo100

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:20 am
@varicose veins,
OI! OI! jesus this is dave from bolton, do you still have all them videos? i still got one that you copied for me the exploited live at the mayflower and its got a bit of vericose veins footage at the end.. lady diana`s got a great left nipple prince charles is a fuckin cripple lol classic
ancient punk

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 01:55 am
@varicose veins,
Any plans for a varicose veins reunion tour? The rolling stones have managed to make quite a few quid out of that sort of thing you know.
varicose veins

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 07:55 am
@tattoo100,
Hi Dave,Christ it must be over 20 years ago.My brother has all the videos.I have a copy of the varicose veins in the studio when we recorded the diana ep.I have a copy of the ep on cd somebody was selling them at a record fair.
0 Replies

varicose veins

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 07:57 am
@ancient punk,
Hi,
You never know but when we split up i lost contact with all the members.I could do with a few quid.I have started to collect signed punk memorabilia some i need some extra cash
ancient punk

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 11:23 am
@varicose veins,
Tell you what I have got (if I can find them) some live damned photos with the captain wearing a dragon/ lizard tail from god knows when. Get me a veins video and I'll do you a swap if your interested?
0 Replies

mikey1965uk

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 01:34 pm
@MiTierra43,
hey hey hey...i am one of those lucky chaps who went to the mayflower club in manchester..it was one of a few major turning points in my life im now 43 and first went when i was 17 and the first band i saw i think was discharge..plus i saw many others exploited antipasti chron gen uksubs dead kennedys etc...do not remember loads about it other than i got my tickets from the record peddlar on swan street manchester...it smelt of leather and the bogs were horrendous hahaha... i also remember the stage was at chest/neck height...it was attended by about 50 to 100 punks...after we had to wait on the steps outside...there was a pub nearby which i do not know the name of now....punks mohicans leather jackets with white paint logos...great great great times x my email is [email protected]
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 12:29 am

Anybody seen the Seven Ages of Rock documentary series showing on the Yesterday channel at the moment?
I've seen three parts, and the last one was mainly about British Indie bands....The Smiths, Stone Roses, Oasis, Libertines, Blur and quite a few others were mentioned. Interesting stuff.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 07:53 am

Tico, you've been to the Hacienda? Bit of a dark horse, ain't'cha?
I had you down as more of a Boston Pops man.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2009 07:51 pm
@McTag,
Yep. And I got my ear pierced at the Duke of Bridgewater pub just up the street, McT. Had plenty of Snakebite and Blacks in me that night, I assure you.

Really liked Happy Mondays and the Inspiral Carpets back then.
McTag

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 05:29 pm
@Ticomaya,

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs. What were you doing in Manchester, Tico? On holiday (that's a vacation) or were you a student here?

I walked up Oxford Street this very afternoon. And it didn't rain.
spendius

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 06:06 pm
@McTag,
Quote:
What were you doing in Manchester, Tico?

He was learning left side defence at City's training ground. The Dunne tradition.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 07:00 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs. What were you doing in Manchester, Tico? On holiday (that's a vacation) or were you a student here?

Both, I suppose. I was studying at Uxbridge for the summer, and drove up to Manchester for the weekend.

I learned what "holiday" meant the first day was over there. I came in quite tanned, and was asked whether I had been "on holiday."

spendius wrote:
He was learning left side defence at City's training ground. The Dunne tradition.

No, I can't play the left side. But I did play footie with the locals during my weekend there.
0 Replies

mikey1965uk

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 03:25 pm
@varicose veins,
i killed ernest bishop i shot him in the head i didnt mean to do it but im fuckin glad hes dead lol hahahaha...long time ago!!!!
0 Replies

mikey1965uk

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 03:30 pm
i used to travel from glossop to manchester when i was young lad to go to gigs at the mayflower club...its all a blur in many ways but **** me it was good fun... apart from having to walk back because i had 10p left...1981-1983 is roughly when i went...i was about 15 when i started going...crass exploited varicose veins discharge vice squad uk subs 4skins dead kennedys...blooody loads more....used to get my tickets from record peddlar on swan street... the tickets look like really cheap drawing paper...red one week purple the other hahahaha...good rough place stunk of leather and sweat...brilliant!!!!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 05:54 pm
Love this thread. Wish I'd been there back then.
0 Replies

philtez

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 03:53 pm
@MiTierra43,
Hi there my name"s phil, but everybody calls me TEZ. The 1st time i whent to the mayflower was 14 feb. 1981 to watch the exploited. I allways remember the day because it was valentines day. Me + some friends had bunked of school to go down manchester the day before and a girl had left a card at school for me. After the 1st time there we"d go every week travelin down from oldham, saw loads of bands there , discharge, crass ,dead kennedys ,vice squad , blitz, violators etc. It was a **** hole but the best gig place ive ever been to . Still in to punk still bad habit"s never die , as when watchin the restasrt in m/c. Still see some people who went to the mayflower even dennis 0i oi!! the guy who put the gigs on. Got told of this forum of another guy who youst to go as well, so id thought id put my ten pence worth in .
Gargamel

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 10:11 am
Somewhat tangential to this thread, but I wanna address the A2K punks. Has anyone seen the Damned lately? They're coming to Chicago in October and I'm wondering whether or not to throw down the twenty bucks.

My experience seeing bands past their prime has historically been poor. But Captain Sensible and Dave Vanain are still in the group.
0 Replies

meeshellmc

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 06:12 pm
@MiTierra43,
I used to go to the mayflower and weirdly ended up in college with a guy who used to play with Varicose Veins..........just can't remember his name! But, he was a brilliant artist that produced the maddest work ....... families sitting around a table having tea with the hugest pointiest teeth ever. He got TB and was off college for quite a while. He was the most talented guy on our course..... I wonder what happened to him? I also saw Joy division, crass, The exploited, the poison girls, and first heard 'Gangsters' by The Specials there. Ahhhh brilliant times, but alas too young for my poor ailing memory....I remember Neville tho.... the black guy who used to run the place. Anybody else remeber him?
0 Replies

Jossi

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 04:05 pm
@philriley427,
Hi
Do you got a flyer from that Show?
0 Replies