Does anyone remember the Mayflower club in Manchester UK?

tonyjj

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 04:41 am
yes i do i went there to see the ruts , armed force ,and a band called v2 i was underage when we went there i used to see tony wilson bobbing about in there when the place was threatened to be raided by the old bill i had to hide under the stage disgusting lol
0 Replies

philriley427

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 05:19 pm
@varicose veins,
Yeh Ozzy could be a nutter sometimes, but we always got on OK.
I remember your band.
I was drummer for Protest. We played there loads of times. I think we might have shared the same billing as your band on at least one occasion.
0 Replies

philriley427

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 05:27 pm
@philtez,
I was the drummer in the support band at that Exploited gig. It was my first ever live performance. I'd only been with this particular band for a couple of weeks when we played there. We played the Mayflower quite a lot after that. I still see the odd copy of our 7" EP - "Vinyl Overload" on ebay from time to time.
UkePunk

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:00 am
I played there in about 1980 singing for a band called The Sh1ts!
I used to go to the afternoon gigs too. Great memories.

Sadly Im still going at it via the medium of Ukulele Punk!
http://www.youtube.com/UkePunk

McTag

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:18 am
@UkePunk,

Nice bright uke sound. Never seen one with a capo on before!

I'm going to see Zoot Money and Maggie Bell at the Bridgewater tonight.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:04 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
I'm going to see Zoot Money and Maggie Bell at the Bridgewater tonight.

I told you the story of how I got my ear pierced at the Duke of Bridgewater pub in 1991, didn't I McT?

Good times.
McTag

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 05:06 pm
@Ticomaya,

No, don't think so.

Broken glass, was it?
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 05:49 pm
@McTag,
I don't remember broken glass, but I do remember drinking lots of Snakebite & Black prior to.
McTag

Reply Sat 7 Nov, 2009 02:25 pm
@Ticomaya,

People I know drank brown splits, and called them Shirley Basseys.
0 Replies

brandonacab

Reply Sun 6 Dec, 2009 07:43 pm
@MiTierra43,
hello.
I was a young punk from macclesfield, The mayflower was our mecca.I saw blitz, exploited, discharge, GBH , etc etc
It was grim but vital back then. Brandon
0 Replies

-Legion-

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2010 05:08 am
@MiTierra43,
Yeh man. We was a bunch of punks from Huddersfield, and went to see the DK's at this club. Remember getting pissed in a pub just down the road, where the landlord shuved all us dirty sweaty spikey haired weirdos into the back room (no punks in the main bar after 7pm . that was the rule!). Anyway ........ smashed as troopers we staggerd up to the Mayflower, paid about a fiver (i think?) to get in, to see Crash (not Clash) warming up the crowd. The amount of spit flying thru the air towards the stage was like a mini sunami! But hey this was Punk, and this was a sign of audience apretiation!! Got my leather signed on the inside by Jello before the DK's hit the stage. What a shocker of a venue, but also ******* Awsome!! Punk Lives!!!!
0 Replies

Chevy Malibu

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 07:08 pm
@varicose veins,
Hi,the mayflower was a great venue though it was a dive.I saw many bands there -Kennedys,discharge,exploited and 1 gig was Crass with 6 other bands and the ticket cost a quid I think.Got a bit of a beating once walking back home on Hyde road on the way to Denton.Can still remember the glue sniffers outside the mayflower,I was terrified of them
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 06:17 am
@UkePunk,
"Girl across the road" is adorable. Wave of nostalgia for being younger - teenage dreams / so hard to beat
0 Replies

asher7

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 12:39 pm
i remember going to see discharge headline with violators +1 supporting nearly got into discharges transit. i recall being greeted by sarge he also worked at virgin record shop in market street .the buxton skins and a big bruiser called ozzie great atmosphere great bands great memories.
spendius

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2011 07:28 am
@asher7,
What was the crumpet like?
0 Replies

anita2131

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 08:12 am
@philriley427,
Hey Phil
Where r u these days.. how is your brother Andy. I am trying to arrange a reunion of the Mossley Punks,, Gally,Riley, Sav,Icky,Hazy,Tommy,Liz..can you help.
Anita..
securityforce

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:36 pm
@philriley427,
This is amazing! I was also in the support band, if its the same band, we were called Security Force, I played bass. I do remember we had a new drummer!
0 Replies

RuthPutrid

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 10:50 am
@MiTierra43,
Went to The Union to see bands all the time...reviewed a few for the uni paper too
0 Replies

RuthPutrid

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 10:53 am
@philriley427,
Phil...used to know Muppet years ago and managed a band called Elti fits. Seen your posts in MDMA. Was about in the late 70's early 80's and was always out at gigs.
0 Replies

garethflo

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2012 03:01 pm
@philriley427,
Was that Muppet who was in Armed Force? We went to the Mayflower to see Slaughter and the dogs but they weren't on. I think The Pleasers played instead,anyway we stayed at Muppets house. Sometime later we formed Blitz but 2 of us left to form another band because of the oi! route they were taking. Where is Muppet nowadays?