Does anyone remember the Mayflower club in Manchester UK?

varicose veins

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:20 pm
@Ticomaya,
My grandmas got ,my grandmas got vd ,my grandmas got vd and my grandad been castrated.
From a 4 track ep (Destroyed) cassette , Lady Diana,Grandmas got Vd, Margret Thatchers got piles and I killed Ernest Bishop.
spendius

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:51 pm
@varicose veins,
It sounds a bit obsessed with vicarious, prurient puerility to me. Very lower-middle-class. Neurotic even. Carry On type snigger.

One thing it isn't is Punk.
ancient punk

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 05:14 am
@varicose veins,
The question is have you still got a hawaiin shirt?
ancient punk

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 05:19 am
@spendius,
One thing it was was good fun.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 05:21 am
@ancient punk,
No. Just a few scars.
ancient punk

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 05:48 am
@spendius,
But are they cool scars where you can attach a story to them?
spendius

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 06:36 am
@ancient punk,
I can attach a story to anything.
varicose veins

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2008 10:26 am
@ancient punk,
You remember the shirt.Manchester university 1981 supporting the Damned.Ive just checked another site and sirched after the Mayflower club.Great to read about concerts and names that come up.Christ i miss those days in Manchester late 70s early 80s.
ancient punk

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 04:31 am
@varicose veins,
Totally agree. Manchesters totally different today back then the city seemed to match the punk scene (grey, gritty and urban). All the regeneration has given it a more faceless european feel. Saturdays hanging around oasis or the roxy, or getting chased by perry boys, are definitely a thing of the past.
ancient punk

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 04:33 am
@spendius,
Just out of curiousity where are you from spendius?
spendius

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 04:34 am
@ancient punk,
I come from the distant past.
ancient punk

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 05:14 am
@spendius,
Now that could be true or you could have attached a story to anything!
0 Replies

varicose veins

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 09:19 am
@ancient punk,
Yes the collectors was my hang out.Then there was great record shop where they sold only punk and new wave.As you said very dangerousace getting chased and caught by red and blue perrys.Really brave 10 against 3.With there stupid bloody haircuts.
0 Replies

varicose veins

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 09:23 am
@MiTierra43,
Yes.I played there with my band Varicose veins.Great place i was there every saturday from 11 to 1 in the morning.Remember the afternoon gig
0 Replies

varicose veins

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 09:26 am
@MiTierra43,
Yes.Remember manchester poly.I saw lots of gigs cant rember all the places,the russel club,poly,university + punk discos,mayflower,apollo,etc great days.i was at the 30 years of punk gig at blackpool a couple of years ago.It was great saw the Pist a couple of months ago.Punks not dead
varicose veins

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 09:31 am
@mcgateaublaster,
I was at the damned cnd gig and got glassed.After my trip i went off to The Mayflower to see the Damned play at night.I got a free beer from Captain as we had supported them at Manchester Uni a couple of months earlier.I was there every saturday.Great times i will never forget them.I still play my punk stuff in the car or on the computor.Everything from The Clash to the Wall
0 Replies

varicose veins

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 09:34 am
@mike66,
Hi mikemember my band The Varicose Veins we played there every month.We were sh-t but who cares.Great memories and a great time.Still listen to my old stuff.Punks not dead
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 09:35 am
@ancient punk,
I love this thread. I was born too late for the original punk ... discovered all the good stuff from '77 only when I was a teen in the eighties and later on still. Keep up the stories..
0 Replies

varicose veins

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 09:36 am
@philriley427,
emember ozzy and all the skinhead bouncers?Did you also have a **** band.remember my band the Varicose veins?
ancient punk

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 03:54 am
@varicose veins,
Bloody hell the russel club. Now that was no place for the faint hearted.
Question. What was the name of the burger bar on deansgate? It was similar to mcdonalds but was there years before I'd ever heard of mcdonalds.