plz suggest correction

bubu

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 07:43 pm
Which of the two letters of invitation is worse?

Letter 1

Dear Sir,
It's out great pleasure to inform you that the institute of xxx, a
widely known and reputed institute with state-of-the art technology,
running successfully all over India in different centres. It's a proffessional, value based educational system on 'accounts', payroll, taxation, online ffinalisation etc. through computer. It's different in theway because of the innovative programmes latest versions in accounting and the academic excellence. Moreover it's commited to the man-making effort through institunal learning

For your kind information, its Delhi centre is going to have a seminar on xxxxx at xxxxx at xxxxPM. You are cordially invited to attend the seminar and be a participant on the said move.

Letter 2

Dear sir

We are pleased to inform you that our institute is going to conduct a seminar on xxxxx on 25th April at xxxx. We expect there will be about 30 participants consisting retired proffessors, active school teachers and students from various colleges. Your name has been strongly rcommended as an important participant.

This is going to be our 5th seminar. We are glad to say that we received a lot of encouraging remarks and letters of appreciation for our previous seminars and we are highly enthusiastic about getting this new one more effetively organised.

We certainly would not want to lose the oppertunity to hear views on the topic from a cultured citizen like yourself and therefore we cordially invite you to attend this seminar.

faithfully yours
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 704 • Replies: 10
No top replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 08:05 pm
My opinion would be the first it seems disjointed. You may also want to spell check both of them before they are sent.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 08:14 pm
The first is worse. You don't find out what the "point" is until the second paragraph. Always put the "point" of the message in the first sentence or two. Many people won't read more than a sentence or two before throwing the note away.
0 Replies

bubu

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 08:28 pm
plz suggest correction
What about the second one. is it ok ? Plz suggest corrections

Thanks
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 08:39 pm
Re: plz suggest correction
bubu wrote:
What about the second one. is it ok ? Plz suggest corrections

Thanks

It is better than the first, but not ok in it's present form. I would suggest the following changes as a minimum.

Dear Sir:

We are pleased to inform you that our institute is going to conduct a seminar on xxxxx on 25th April at xxxx. We expect there will be about 30 participants consisting of retired professors, active schoolteachers and students from various colleges. Your name has been strongly recommended as an important participant.

This is going to be our 5th seminar. We are pleased to say that we received a lot of encouraging remarks and letters of appreciation for our previous seminars and we are highly enthusiastic about getting this new one more effectively organized.

We certainly would not want to lose the opportunity to hear views on the topic from a cultured citizen like yourself and therefore we cordially invite you to attend this seminar.

Faithfully yours
0 Replies

bubu

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:42 pm
suggest correction
sorry, but where are the changes?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:45 pm
Punctuation and spelling I believe.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:46 pm
Re: suggest correction
bubu wrote:
sorry, but where are the changes?

If you can't see the changes then you need more help than I thought :-)

Carefully compare yours to mine. You will see word and grammar changes, spelling corrections etc.
0 Replies

bubu

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:44 pm
I appreciate your sense of humour. Very Happy

But I really expected that there will be a lot of changes in the sentence pattern and replacement of words.So I did not pay attention to the spelling and punctuation marks.

Thanks
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:48 pm
And adding of words.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:54 pm
bubu wrote:
I appreciate your sense of humour. Very Happy

But I really expected that there will be a lot of changes in the sentence pattern and replacement of words.So I did not pay attention to the spelling and punctuation marks.

Thanks

I only made minimal changes to make sense of the letter. I did indicate that I would make these changes as a minimum. I did not want to be presumptuous enough to totally change what you had written. Unless, of course, you are doing some kind of test ;-)
0 Replies