should marijuana be legalized??

NickFun

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 08:56 am
Not long ago I jokingly asked a young man where I could get some Ritalin. He reached into his pocket and pulled out 2 pills. "I can get you more if you need it" he said. The world is on drugs.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 11:03 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Joefromchicago

There is a relevance in this story to the topic. The main reason that marijhuana is illegal is pressure from certain interest groups who stand to lose a lot of money if this drug were to enter the legal market. Beer producers for one.

That's an ad hominem argument. Even if it's true that special interests were behind the laws banning marijuana usage, that doesn't necessarily mean that the laws themselves are bad.

Cyracuz wrote:
Another thing is that marijhuana tends to expand the user's horizon if used with care, and people who can think for themselves is probably the single most dangerous thing to our western societies. What would happen to our production frenzies if most of us came to realize that we don't really need any of the crap we're spewing out?

Oh give me a break. Marijuana "expands your horizons" in about the same manner as alcohol does. It doesn't make you more insightful or profound or philosophic, it just makes you think you're more insightful, profound, or philosophic, just as beer makes you think you're more witty, intelligent, and charming.
0 Replies

Xenoche

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 07:10 am
Hey joe, damned to see your still defending the illigality of MJ.
Sorry bout before, I dont really think your crazy. Embarrassed

With my experience with both drugs in question over the "expands your horizons" view point. Joe, for me marijhuana IS a mind expanding drug. It makes me feel comfortable, happy, unussually pleased with my world, un-aggressive , absolutly LOVE listening to music Very Happy . I can go to sleep knowing that I wont wake up with a hang over. Surprised

Where alcohol, for me, is what I call a headache. Personnaly I dislike alcohol, It makes you feel sleepy, then social, then anti-social and then finally you wake up with a brass band playin in your head. Honestly I have NO idea why anyone would want to drink alcohol. Drunk

Out of all drugs, my evils consist of cigerettes and an evil addiction to coca-cola. I dont know what else they put into that ****, but damn, coca-cola has got me hooked big time. Laughing
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 07:16 am
Indeed, the way MJ works can be mind expanding. It can also be mind blurring if used wrong. But maybe it isn't that the drug gives the mind higher powers. Maybe it's just that it helps you focus. It tends to diminish the sense of urgency of life around you, which in turn makes for comfortable peace of mind.
0 Replies

babemomlover

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 09:07 pm
Absolutetly no reason why marijuana should stay illegal.
I truthfully want a reason.

It's not the marijuana that's bad; it's the person.

Absolutely all government tests concluded that marijuana was bad for you.
Weird, huh?

Isn't it also weird, that all double blind tests done by non-government funded corporations proved marijuana to be either improving an aspect of your life; or having absolutely no effect.
Not cancer from inhaling.
Not reduced memory.
Nothing.

It's shown to heal such an amazing amount of ailments that it's ridiculous.

So now we've gotten past the fact that it is in no way harmful to your body, let's move on to the next subject, shall we?

A lot of the arguments against marijuana also include statements that include laziness as the main aspect, and that the American population does not need a drug that holds you on the couch doing nothing.
Rolling Eyes

Sort of funny the time when I write papers the best is while intoxicated on marijuana. 5-7% higher.
Proven MANY times.
It in NO way makes the individual lazy.
That's a little thing called Cannabis Sativa.
Try it sometimes. A few of my friends and I sit around in circles, passing something around and discussing philosophy.

Addiction is the next issue.
There is next to no withdrawal effects from marijuana (They're so slight anyways....) that it's ridiculously easy to stop.
It's the individuals dependance on it. Not at all the drugs.
Not like nicotine, or alcohol.

People say marijuana is a violent trade in the streets.
Yah.
Imagine if they legalized it...
What's that?
You say that, why, yes, there won't be killing because, yes, IT'S GOING TO BE SOLD LEGALLY.
Less DEATHS!
Morally superior, too!

Money's another thing.
The government loses 15 billion a year on anti-drug policies.
WHAT?!
15 billion a year.
Against drugs.
Also, there would be another 5 BILLION a year gotten from tax revenue if the Marijuana-Alchohol equalization act was passed.

So that's an extra 20 billion a year to spend on the war or whatever the hell bush wants.

I encourage some to try to prove me wrong.
Please change my mind. :wink:
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:15 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
along with every other recreational drug, yes.

So stipulated.

The Founders wud have been aghast
at the concept that a government can
control what an American citizen can ingest.

Government controls drugs only
by USURPATION of ultra vires activity.
David

P.S.:
In my opinion,
addictive drugs shud be considered
dangerous n destructive, but fully LEGAL.

Its a PERSONAL choice.

In a free country, folks
have the freedom to be self-destructive
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 10:56 pm
Lookit me! I'm agreeing with OmSigDAVID! People should not be imprisoned for what they choose to enjoy. If every politician who ever smoked pot was put in prison that would leave us with NO politicians! Ok, maybe one. But that was the guy everyone hated in high school.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 06:45 pm
for anyone interested , see what milton friedman - america's greatest advocate of an "unfettered free market " - had to say about "illegal drugs" :
(i'll sum it up : "smoke 'em , if you 've got 'em")
(not that i ever tried it ; could hardly afford a cigarette when i grew up)

...MILTON FRIEDMAN ON ILLEGAL DRUGS...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 09:13 pm
Poppies fund Taliban
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 03:16 am
Name one "non-government sponsored double-blind test" that proved marijuana "improved" lives or "had no effect".

Name some of the "so many ailments that's its ridiculous" that marijuana "cures". It helps with nausea and the pressure of glaucoma - what else?

I mean, yeah it shouldn't be criminal, but let's not elevate something that's generally used to get high to some sort of miracle substance.

The same claims were made when the legality of alcohol was in question - that it was some sort of "miracle elixir" that "cured" a multitude of ailments, and "improved" one's life.

Just be for real. People want their get-high. Period.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 03:50 am
rosborne979 wrote:

Bankrupt the Taliban -- legalize poppies!

PS: Poppies don't just fund the Taliban. They fund every interest group in Afghanistan. Yesterday morning on Deutschlandfunk, they said Karzai's brother is the greatest poppy trader in Afghanistan, and that he funded Karzai's campaign with the profits. It's funny how thoroughly CNN ignores the role of heroin in funding America's friends, and how uncritically it cites one of its sources when it says:
    There is a growing recognition that "counternarcotics and counterterrorism are effectively the same thing," said Schweich, the U.S.-based coordinator for counternarcotics and judicial reform in Afghanistan. "I think everybody recognizes that with the Taliban receiving funding from narcotics, much more so than in the past, that there has to be a coordinated effort."
What will America do next? Invade a country whose government is opposed to Al Quaeda on the allegation that regime change there will quash terrorism? Oh, wait ...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 11:30 am
US Congress looking to spend $1.6 BILLION on drug war

If drugs were legalized their value would drop to almost nothing, the criminal activity which results from local distribution would cease, the drug cartelle's would run out of money and the "war" would be over. Everywhere.

Currently we are paying a very high price to "protect" a small portion of the population from their own choices (to abuse drugs).
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 12:51 pm
rosborne979 wrote:

If drugs were legalized their value would drop to almost nothing,
the criminal activity which results from local distribution would cease,
the drug cartelle's would run out of money and the "war" would be over. Everywhere.

Currently we are paying a very high price to "protect" a small portion of the population from their own choices (to abuse drugs).

U r ABSOLUTELY RIGHT !

The war on drugs is based upon a USURPATION of power,
an indignity upon the American citizenry (almost as bad as gun control)
of which the Founders wud be aghast. In America, government was never
created with nor endowed with power to control what any citizen
can freely ingest, of his own free choice.

I consider narcotics to be poisons.

David
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 07:02 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

the drug cartelle's would run out of money and the "war" would be over. Everywhere.

U r ABSOLUTELY RIGHT !

I know.

Perhaps we should ask a different question: How are things ever going to change?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 07:08 pm
Of course it should be legalized. Why is this in Phil & Debate (ok, I know, but really..)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 09:04 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

U r ABSOLUTELY RIGHT !

I know.

Perhaps we should ask a different question:
How are things ever going to change?

I suppose that, logically, the first step is that freedom minded citizens
shud ORGANIZE themselves to wage political war,
which mostly involves threatening to vote and campaign against
any candidate who supports the war on drugs.

Maybe we can call it "PEACE ON DRUGS".

David
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 01:52 pm
Arecent CNN article.

Quote:
Walters spoke from a "marijuana garden" tucked deep into the Sequoia National Forest, about a two- to four-hour hike from the nearest road, far removed from the giant sequoias the region is best known for.

Ten thousand marijuana plants, some 5 feet tall, dotted the mountainside's steep terrain amid thick brush, often located near streams. This garden's street value is worth an estimated $40 million, authorities said.

Walters clutched three plants he said were worth $12,000 on the streets.

"This is about serious criminal organizations," Walters said. "They're willing to kill anybody who gets in their way. They're taking money back to those who kill prosecutors, judges and law enforcement."

Over the last eight days, a federal, state and county law enforcement initiative called Operation LOCCUST has eradicated 420,000 marijuana plants here worth more than $1 billion on the street.

That's $1 Billion dollars. Just from this operation alone. A Billion dollars which will go into the pockets of organized crime and local distributors.

This "war" could be won with the stoke of a pen.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:25 pm
Aside from every other problem involving drug laws, there is the so-called no-knock drug raid. The current mayor of Berwin Heights Md. could probably tell you about it...

In 1880 in America, there were no drug laws and no meaningful drug problems. Nobody should need to be Albert Einstein to figure that one out.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:43 pm
that story is hilarous.

if the popos make a mistake and raid the wrong house then shoot my dogs ima be hunting them down then heading to meheekoe..
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 07:29 pm
Of course drugs should be legalized. End the War on Drugs, end searches and seizure of property and let people make their own decisions.

One way to start might be to get the government to put the same ban on alcohol as it does on drugs. Say, one kilo of pot is illegal, so the same proportional amount of liquor should carry the same fines or even time in jail. Liquor is far more dangerous than marijuana, so why not use the same restrictions?

Oh yes, there is the liquor lobby. Yep, it'll never work. Oh well.
0 Replies