should marijuana be legalized??

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:25 am
rosborne979 wrote:
I wasn't generalizing my argument to all illegal activities, just drugs.

I know you weren't. That was my point: why aren't you generalizing it to all illegal activities?

rosborne979 wrote:
Are you seriously suggesting that you can't see a difference between telling people what drug they can use in their own home, and telling people they can't kill someone? Why are you even making an analogy like that.

Because you didn't. And it appears that you can't think of a good reason why your rationale for legalizing drugs can't be applied to legalizing murder.

rosborne979 wrote:
I can see several good reasons for a restricted legalization of drugs:

We would win the "war" on drugs immediately, save billions of dollars, and lives, and eliminate a major portion of the current criminal sub-culture. Once controlled we can actually begin to help the people who really want help.

We can actually begin to help the people who really want help right now, without going through the unnecessary step of legalizing the drugs for which they need the help. I see no reason to believe that legalization is a necessary first step for helping people with addictions. In fact, legalizing the addictive substance seems rather an odd way of going about helping people with addictions.

rosborne979 wrote:
And most importantly, we can give people the freedom to make their own choices in their lives, even if we don't like their choices.

There are a lot of choices that people make in their lives that we, as a society, don't want them to make. Why is drug use different?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:30 am
Thomas wrote:
On the observation that learning from precedences usually works, even though it doesn't always work.

That's only true if the precedent is comparable to the current situation. Using the wrong precedent, however, is often worse than relying on no precedent at all. Donald Rumsfeld, after all, thinks that the situation the US faced in 2003 with respect to Saddam Hussein was like the situation that Chamberlain faced in 1938 with respect to Hitler.

Thomas wrote:
If you apply the same result to opium and hemp, what was the right time to criminalize those?

Before they became as widely used as tobacco and alcohol.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:35 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Donald Rumsfeld, after all, thinks that the situation the US faced in 2003 with respect to Saddam Hussein was like the situation that Chamberlain faced in 1938 with respect to Hitler.

Considering his famous 1983 handshake with Saddam, Rumsfeld ought to know.
0 Replies

Xenoche

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 10:25 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
The illegality of drugs is obviously driving up their cost and creating a black market with violent and expensive results.

joefromchicago wrote:
That's true. And I would just add that the illegality of murder drives up the costs of contract killings too. You're not suggesting that, just because an illegal activity costs more than it would if it were legalized, that's a good argument for legalization, are you?

rosborne979 wrote:
Are you seriously suggesting that you can't see a difference between telling people what drug they can use in their own home, and telling people they can't kill someone? Why are you even making an analogy like that.

joefromchicago wrote:
Because you didn't. And it appears that you can't think of a good reason why your rationale for legalizing drugs can't be applied to legalizing murder.

Out of curiousity, how many people agree with joefromchicago's co-relation of legalization of marijuana and murder? Shocked
IMHO I think joefromchicago is crazy.
Sure you could apply the same theory of illigalization to murder, but really they share nothing in common making any co-relation between the two illigalities irrelevant.

Its like comparing chalk and cheese. Sure they both start with C, but that doesnt make them the same.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 01:07 am
joefromchicago wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

I know you weren't. That was my point: why aren't you generalizing it to all illegal activities?

I think we already went over this. The difference is that most of what's bad about drugs today is an artifact of them being illegal: the poor quality that randomly kills users, the murders and the corruption needed to produce and distribute them, and many other things. This is not true of murder. Most of what's bad about murders is the murders itself. Any extra harm its criminalization might create is negligible compared to the harm of from the murders.

Meanwhile, you have presented no evidence that legalizing Marijuana would on net cause more harm than good. America is a free society. People who want freedom don't have to prove its good effect. In trying to do it anyway, we've been very accomodating to you. But really it's the people who want to restrict freedom who have to make a case for the limitations they seek to impose. So what's your evidence in the matter?
0 Replies

rimchamp77

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 08:11 am
Thomas wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

I think we already went over this. The difference is that most of what's bad about drugs today is an artifact of them being illegal: the poor quality that randomly kills users, the murders and the corruption needed to produce and distribute them, and many other things. This is not true of murder. Most of what's bad about murders is the murders itself. Any extra harm its criminalization might create is negligible compared to the harm of from the murders.

HUGE problem is that murder necessarily includes someone else. Use of any particular drug is very personal in nature and there is no evidence that use of certain banned drugs leads to higher dysfunction than having a job. Both are normal parts of life in which a small percentage of participants get obsessed and start ruining their health and social life. And yes, workaholism is a primary source of drug addiction for alcoholand drug dependency for drugs like Ibuprofen, insulin, high blood pressure medications We could ban money or work on the same basis as we ban certain drugs. We certainly could ban personal owership of automobiles. Just think of all the pollution, stress, abuse, and financial difficulties we could avoid! All that road rage: gone forever - just like usage of certain arbitrarily banned drugs [I do have to rub in the fact that we have zero standards on drugs]. There is a very high correlation between use of cars and crime.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 08:10 am
Xenoche wrote:
Out of curiousity, how many people agree with joefromchicago's co-relation of legalization of marijuana and murder? Shocked

I have no idea what you mean by "co-relation." If, by that, you mean "equation," then I join with you in disagreeing with joefromchicago. It would be ludicrous to suggest that the two are the same, and if you start a petition against such numbskullery, I'll be happy to sign it.

But then, I didn't say that murder and marijuana usage were equivalent, I said that, in one respect, they were comparable. If you can't understand the difference between "equivalent" and "comparable," Xenoche, I'm afraid it is beyond my means to help you. I encourage you to ask a parent, a teacher, or a sympathetic friend to explain the difference.

Xenoche wrote:
IMHO I think joefromchicago is crazy.

I, on the other hand, will refrain from expressing my opinions regarding your mental competency.

Xenoche wrote:
Sure you could apply the same theory of illigalization to murder, but really they share nothing in common making any co-relation between the two illigalities irrelevant.

Its like comparing chalk and cheese. Sure they both start with C, but that doesnt make them the same.

No, but it makes them comparable in at least one respect, which is all that I ever claimed about murder and marijuana usage.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 08:16 am
Well, i, too, think Joe is crazy . . . just as crazy as a pet 'coon.

But that doesn't make him a bad person.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 08:57 am
Thomas wrote:
I think we already went over this. The difference is that most of what's bad about drugs today is an artifact of them being illegal: the poor quality that randomly kills users, the murders and the corruption needed to produce and distribute them, and many other things. This is not true of murder.

You have got to be jesting. Are you saying that cocaine, for instance, is addictive because it's illegal? Are you suggesting the heroin is potentially lethal because it's unregulated? Would legal cocaine be any less addictive or legal heroin any less lethal? Really, Thomas, I'm surprised that you would even hint at such a feeble argument.

Moreover, as I've explained to you before, the murder and corruption that accompanies the criminalization of drug usage is an argument against all prohibitions, not just drug prohibitions. After all, the prohibition on cable television theft just drives up the price of illegal cable hookups as well. All prohibitions are accompanied by some consequential criminality, above and beyond the criminality of defying the prohibition itself. Extortionists are involved in murder and corruption as well: should we, therefore, legalize extortion?

Thomas wrote:
Most of what's bad about murders is the murders itself. Any extra harm its criminalization might create is negligible compared to the harm of from the murders.

To be clear, I wasn't talking about "murder" per se, I was talking about "contract killings." As I mentioned, the criminalization of drugs drives up the price of those drugs in the same way as the criminalization of murder drives up the price of contract killings. De-criminalizing drugs in order to make the price go down makes as much sense as de-criminalizing murder to make the price of contract killings go down.

Thomas wrote:
Meanwhile, you have presented no evidence that legalizing Marijuana would on net cause more harm than good. America is a free society. People who want freedom don't have to prove its good effect. In trying to do it anyway, we've been very accomodating to you. But really it's the people who want to restrict freedom who have to make a case for the limitations they seek to impose. So what's your evidence in the matter?

I have gone over this so many times, in threads in which you participated, Thomas, that I am at a loss to explain why you can't understand. I will, however, lay out my evidence that legalizing marijuana would do more harm than good yet again:

I don't have any.

Now, to be sure, I have very strong opinions that I have set forth in this and other threads, and I think those opinions are based upon solid reasoning, but I have absolutely no evidence that legalizing marijuana would, on the whole, be a bad thing. I will add, however, that no advocate of marijuana legalization has any more evidence than I do that legalization would, on the whole, be a good thing.

Most legalization advocates argue that marijuana is no worse a drug than alcohol or nicotine, and I agree actually with them that they are comparable. As such, we can look at the societal effects of alcohol and tobacco as roughly comparable to the potential societal effects of legalized marijuana, and make reasoned predictions based upon that comparison. Now, are the societal effects of alcohol and tobacco, on the whole, good or bad. Well, I suppose it would depend on who you ask, but, as a general matter, I think the world would be better off if there were no alcohol or tobacco at all. That we tolerate those harmful substances, however, is no reason to tolerate an equally harmful substance.

You argue that someone who favors restricting freedom has the burden of producing evidence to support that restriction. Well, to the extent that I have any evidence, that is my evidence. But then any evidence of the societal effects of legalized marijuana -- pro or contra -- must be based upon counterfactual reasoning, which makes my reasoning and conjecture as solid as any evidence can get in this kind of debate. We simply don't know whether the overall societal effects of marijuana legalization will be good or bad unless we legalize it, but then that is the same dilemma we face with practically any law. To accept as evidence only the results of legalization is to hold drug laws to a standard to which few other legislative enactments are held.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 09:35 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
I think we already went over this. The difference is that most of what's bad about drugs today is an artifact of them being illegal: the poor quality that randomly kills users, the murders and the corruption needed to produce and distribute them, and many other things. This is not true of murder.

You have got to be jesting. Are you saying that cocaine, for instance, is addictive because it's illegal? Are you suggesting the heroin is potentially lethal because it's unregulated? Would legal cocaine be any less addictive or legal heroin any less lethal? Really, Thomas, I'm surprised that you would even hint at such a feeble argument.

I am not suggesting that cocaine is addictive because it's illegal. I am suggesting that most addicts of heroin, cocaine, and other drugs could lead a more or less normal life if they could buy their drug in well-specified dosages, with predictable and good quality. Finally, I am suggesting that the illegality of most recreational drugs favors the selling of highly addictive drugs such as crack over the selling of less addictive drugs. If the probability of being caught is the major part of a drug's production cost, you might as well be hanged for crack as for pot. (Again, notice the parallel to alcohol prohibition, which diminished the sale of booze much less than the sale of beer, wine, and other soft drinks.)

joefromchicago wrote:
Moreover, as I've explained to you before, the murder and corruption that accompanies the criminalization of drug usage is an argument against all prohibitions, not just drug prohibitions. After all, the prohibition on cable television theft just drives up the price of illegal cable hookups as well. All prohibitions are accompanied by some consequential criminality, above and beyond the criminality of defying the prohibition itself. Extortionists are involved in murder and corruption as well: should we, therefore, legalize extortion?

No, for two reasons: (1) My freedom to extort would, ipso facto, infringe on your freedom from extortion; by contrast, my freedom to smoke a joint infringes on none of your freedoms at all -- certainly not ipso facto. (2) While the criminalization of extortion may cause some collateral crime committed to make specific extortions possible, I expect the criminalization reduces the damage extortionists cause to society enough to outweigh the increase in collateral crime. I don't expect this to be true for drug consumption. There I expect the social cost from increased collateral crime to outweigh the benefit of decreased drug consumption.

joefromchicago wrote:

I don't have any.

Thanks for your candid answer. Would you agree that the evidence speak much much more strongly to the harmful effects of contract killings and extortion? Would you say that this makes the case for outlawing contract killings and extortion much stronger than the case for outlawing recreational drugs?

joefromchicago wrote:
Well, I suppose it would depend on who you ask, but, as a general matter, I think the world would be better off if there were no alcohol or tobacco at all.

This non-addicted lover of wine and beer couldn't disagree more.

joefromchicago wrote:
But then any evidence of the societal effects of legalized marijuana -- pro or contra -- must be based upon counterfactual reasoning, which makes my reasoning and conjecture as solid as any evidence can get in this kind of debate.

I disagree. Legal marijuana, cocaine-fortified Cola etc were a fact before World War I. We know what the social effects were. Admittedly, you may -- and do -- disagree that the experience of this period makes an adequate precedence for today. You are entitled to this opinion about history. But even if you're correct on this point, there is one thing you are not entitled to do; and that is to declare this history "counterfactual" just because you find it irrelevant. Whatever your opinion about legalized recreational drugs before World War I is, they were a fact, as was their limited effect on public health. None of this is counterfactual, even if it were irrellevant.

joefromchicago wrote:
We simply don't know whether the overall societal effects of marijuana legalization will be good or bad unless we legalize it, but then that is the same dilemma we face with practically any law.

I agree. And in all these cases my answer is: let's find out!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:11 am
Thomas wrote:
I am not suggesting that cocaine is addictive because it's illegal. I am suggesting that most addicts of heroin, cocaine, and other drugs could lead a more or less normal life if they could buy their drug in well-specified dosages, with predictable and good quality.

Why would they buy drugs in well-specified dosages? Who would insure the quality of those drugs?

Thomas wrote:
Finally, I am suggesting that the illegality of most recreational drugs favors the selling of highly addictive drugs such as crack over the selling of less addictive drugs. If the probability of being caught is the major part of a drug's production cost, you might as well be hanged for crack as for pot. (Again, notice the parallel to alcohol prohibition, which diminished the sale of booze much less than the sale of beer, wine, and other soft drinks.)

Well, the selling of highly addictive legal substances is more profitable than the selling of less addictive counterparts, so I'm not sure why drug sellers would switch to less addictive drugs after legalization.

Thomas wrote:
No, for two reasons: (1) My freedom to extort would, ipso facto, infringe on your freedom from extortion; by contrast, my freedom to smoke a joint infringes on none of your freedoms at all -- certainly not ipso facto. (2) While the criminalization of extortion may cause some collateral crime committed to make specific extortions possible, I expect the criminalization reduces the damage extortionists cause to society enough to outweigh the increase in collateral crime. I don't expect this to be true for drug consumption. There I expect the social cost from increased collateral crime to outweigh the benefit of decreased drug consumption.

I won't address your first point since it is irrelevant to my comparison. As for your second point, it simply focuses on the general issue of contention, and the main point of disagreement, between us.

Thomas wrote:
Thanks for your candid answer. Would you agree that the evidence speak much much more strongly to the harmful effects of contract killings and extortion? Would you say that this makes the case for outlawing contract killings and extortion much stronger than the case for outlawing recreational drugs?

Without question. But then my point about contract killings and extortion was limited to address the simple argument that decriminalization of drugs would lead to lower drug prices. I don't argue with that, but I only noted that decriminalization would lead to lower prices for all criminal activities. I offered no opinion as to whether such decriminalization would be a good thing or a bad thing, just that it would be a cheaper thing.

Thomas wrote:
This non-addicted lover of wine and beer couldn't disagree more.

And it is a point that is certainly open to debate. But then we must posit a counterfactual world in which there was never any alcohol or tobacco, and such counterfactuals are always subject to question.

Thomas wrote:
I disagree. Legal marijuana, cocaine-fortified Cola etc were a fact before World War I. We know what the social effects were. Admittedly, you may -- and do -- disagree that the experience of this period makes an adequate precedence for today. You are entitled to this opinion about history. But even if you're correct on this point, there is one thing you are not entitled to do; and that is to declare this history "counterfactual" just because you find it irrelevant.

I do find it irrelevant because it is not comparable. You suggest that a nineteenth-century society where drug usage is legal but minimal is somehow comparable to a twenty-first century society in which drug usage is legalized and potentially (but unquantifiably) widespread? Frankly, I find such a comparison is less irrelevant than it is ludicrous.

Thomas wrote:
Whatever your opinion about legalized recreational drugs before World War I is, they were a fact, as was their limited effect on public health. None of this is counterfactual, even if it were irrellevant.

No, it is both.

Thomas wrote:

And in this case my answer is: let's not!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:36 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:

And in this case my answer is: let's not!

Fine. You're outvoted by 82% in the poll.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:52 am
rosborne979 wrote:

Why should I care?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:56 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Why would they buy drugs in well-specified dosages? Who would insure the quality of those drugs?

I can think of many possibilities: (1) Competition between greedy producers. For one thing, killing your customers is bad for business, so I expect producers in a free market not to do it unnecessarily. (2) The drug market's version of consumer reports, combined with the preference not to die from their next shot if they don't have to. (3) General laws against fraud. I'm sure current law makes it illegal to print "three pounds of oatmeal" onto a package, fill only two and a half pounds of oatmeal into it, and sell it to you. The same law would apply to those who sell the wrong dosage of a recreational drug. I'm sure there are options as well, but these three should do it for now.

joefromchicago wrote:
Well, the selling of highly addictive legal substances is more profitable than the selling of less addictive counterparts, so I'm not sure why drug sellers would switch to less addictive drugs after legalization.

You state your point about profits as if it were a fact. Do you have evidence for it? I just browsed the financial statement of companies like Anheuser-Bush, which makes Bud Light, and the Brown-Forman Corporation, which makes Jack Daniels. If anything, the hard-liquor companies seem to be less profitable, not more.

Drug sellers currently prefer highly addictive drugs because the benefit -- user's high -- is greater, while the cost -- being arrested and jailed -- is the same. It's a variant of the proverb: hanged for a lamb, hanged for a sheep. That's why hard liquor made up a higher percentage of alcohol consumption during prohibition than before and after it. And that's why, after the end of drug prohibition, I expect a much greater boom in the more harmless drugs such as pot than in the more addictive drugs such as crack. Another economic reason that makes vendors prefer addictive drugs under current legislation is monopoly profits. Criminalization makes it hard for users to switch and force vendors to compete. This gives each individua vendor some monopoly power of his customers. As economics 101 tells us, monopoly profits are high to the extent that demand is inelastic (irresponsive to price changes). So, since the demand of addicted users is much more inelastic than that of casual users, it is currently in the interest of sellers to make buyers as desperately addicted as possible. By eliminating monopoly profits, a legal, competitive market would further curtail the supply of hard drugs relative to soft drugs.

joefromchicago wrote:
I don't argue with that, but I only noted that decriminalization would lead to lower prices for all criminal activities. I offered no opinion as to whether such decriminalization would be a good thing or a bad thing, just that it would be a cheaper thing.

On that narrow point I agree.

joefromchicago wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Whatever your opinion about legalized recreational drugs before World War I is, they were a fact, as was their limited effect on public health. None of this is counterfactual, even if it were irrellevant.

No, it is both.

Translation: "I don't like the historical facts, so I don't just try to distinguish them, I pretend they aren't facts at all." If you read the fifth chapter in Mill's On Liberty (1869), you will find that he defends free trade in opium with fairly similar arguments as I defend a free market in dope, apparently against counterarguments fairly similar to yours. It is simply not true that our discussion about drugs is a new one.

Thomas wrote:

And in this case my answer is: let's not![/quote]
Gee, it almost seems as if we disagree on that one.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:06 am
joefromchicago wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

Why should I care?

You don't need to care. I was just pointing it out.

I like having you express a different opinion on the matter, even though I disagree with you completely.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:08 am
Chill out dudes. Smoke a bowl.
0 Replies

rimchamp77

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:37 am
Legalization of all drugs will NOT be a magic bullet or panacea and the reasoning is identical to the one about criminalization being a panacea for drug-related problems. I am mostly alone in my belief that the biggest drug war related problem is that the disappearance of real drug education.

It is indisputable that prohibition's only result is that taxpayers and crime victims are added to the rolls of those adversely affected by this immoral policy. But until we totally kill the dangerous drugs mythology - closely related to Hitler's big lie - drug prohibition will be with us forever. It isn't a matter of refuting the evidence - because there is NONE. There are no drug specific standards. Yes, our legisliars have enacted a scam of monumental proportions with the aid and complicity of a so called "free press". Legisliars have stolen billions in tax dollars to promulgate the fiction that these drugs are criminal because they are dangerous.

Yet, before the most widely used drugs were criminalized, they were also widely used and effective in limited use. All of the widely used banned drugs could easily pass FDA standards to be used as medications. The FDA tests drugs as they should be used: for short-term treatment of specific problems. And all such drug usage should be done in conjunction with rest and recuperation and not to enable "life in the fast lane" widely promoted to sell not just drugs but other consumer products.

Of course, whenever such a large group of people become financially dependent on taxpayer funding for a monumental boondoggle such as the drug war you will not find any scam artist willing to openly discuss - much less debate - real drug problems with critics like myself. I would pose a simple challenge: give me one good reason for continuing prohibition - without lying or deliberately misleading people. I've posed this to all my legisliars and media liars and have yet to receive an answer. Until someone finds an answer they won't expose their dishonesty to the scrutiny of a public discussion: it would be political suicide.

Even if we were to stop lying about drugs and seriously start educating people about responsible use of drugs and the importance of lifestyle choices, the damage is done. Over a third of those over 40 suffer from multiple drug dependencies for health problems. There are over half a million people who are addicted to the criminal lifestyles related to illegal drug use - and that doesn't include the people who suffer from physical addiction to drugs that would have limited availability under the most liberal decriminalization. And legisliars - addicted to taxpayer money - would use their problems to justify more abusive and expensive "solutions" to vindictive taxpayers. Severe drug abuse and addiction has as little to do with "dangerous drugs" as road rage has to do with automobile ownership: they are just one more outlet for personal and social deficiencies. And yes, we can deal with the aftermath of those deficiencies without criminalizing the 98% of users who can use responsibly.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 01:11 pm
I never hear anything good about meth yet it's still the most "popular" dangerous drug out there. People are going to do drugs regardless of our policies. Imprisoning drug users does not solve the problem but only creates a burden to the taxpayer.
0 Replies

rimchamp77

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 01:21 pm
NickFun wrote:
I never hear anything good about meth yet it's still the most "popular" dangerous drug out there. People are going to do drugs regardless of our policies. Imprisoning drug users does not solve the problem but only creates a burden to the taxpayer.

Considering that less than 4% of those who try this "highly addictive substance" develop long-term addictions one would reason that maybe the "meth problem" is due to factors outside of the drug itself. Of course, the scam artists who are addicted to our tax dollars also control our media and the real addiction rate is seldom widely reported. The truth is hidden in plain view. Certainly, our good legisliars wouldn't ban a drug for no good reason!
Of course, when it was legal it was widely prescribed for bored housewives and those suffering from job burnout. The addiction rate under this format was probably closer to 10% - despite the fact that the dosage was less frequent and the potency was less than a third of street meth + nobody smoked the stuff either. Of course we could expand the anti smoking public service to include all smoked drugs and lie a lot less. But then pointing out the dangers of smoking only highlights what criminalization does to drugs.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 01:32 pm
Thomas wrote:
I can think of many possibilities: (1) Competition between greedy producers. For one thing, killing your customers is bad for business, so I expect producers in a free market not to do it unnecessarily. (2) The drug market's version of consumer reports, combined with the preference not to die from their next shot if they don't have to. (3) General laws against fraud. I'm sure current law makes it illegal to print "three pounds of oatmeal" onto a package, fill only two and a half pounds of oatmeal into it, and sell it to you. The same law would apply to those who sell the wrong dosage of a recreational drug. I'm sure there are options as well, but these three should do it for now.

I've addressed your first and second points elsewhere, so I'll just say that I think you are much too optimistic, which I've also said elsewhere. I think your third point relies upon a level of state intervention in the marketplace that, frankly, is uncharacteristic of you.

Thomas wrote:
You state your point about profits as if it were a fact. Do you have evidence for it? I just browsed the financial statement of companies like Anheuser-Bush, which makes Bud Light, and the Brown-Forman Corporation, which makes Jack Daniels. If anything, the hard-liquor companies seem to be less profitable, not more.

Less profitable than they would be if they sold non-alcoholic beer or whiskey-flavored water exclusively? Surely you must be joking.

Thomas wrote:
Drug sellers currently prefer highly addictive drugs because the benefit -- user's high -- is greater, while the cost -- being arrested and jailed -- is the same. It's a variant of the proverb: hanged for a lamb, hanged for a sheep. That's why hard liquor made up a higher percentage of alcohol consumption during prohibition than before and after it. And that's why, after the end of drug prohibition, I expect a much greater boom in the more harmless drugs such as pot than in the more addictive drugs such as crack.

Well, at least you're no longer saying that hard liquor made up a higher percentage of alcohol consumption during prohibition because hard liquor was price inelastic, so I suppose that's a sign of some progress.

Thomas wrote:
Another economic reason that makes vendors prefer addictive drugs under current legislation is monopoly profits. Criminalization makes it hard for users to switch and force vendors to compete. This gives each individua vendor some monopoly power of his customers. As economics 101 tells us, monopoly profits are high to the extent that demand is inelastic (irresponsive to price changes). So, since the demand of addicted users is much more inelastic than that of casual users, it is currently in the interest of sellers to make buyers as desperately addicted as possible. By eliminating monopoly profits, a legal, competitive market would further curtail the supply of hard drugs relative to soft drugs.

I see no reason whatsoever to believe that legalized "soft" drugs will be more popular than legalized "hard" drugs, especially if manufacturers and distributors are allowed to advertise both freely.

Thomas wrote:
Translation: "I don't like the historical facts, so I don't just try to distinguish them, I pretend they aren't facts at all." If you read the fifth chapter in Mill's On Liberty (1869), you will find that he defends free trade in opium with fairly similar arguments as I defend a free market in dope, apparently against counterarguments fairly similar to yours. It is simply not true that our discussion about drugs is a new one.

I like the historical facts just fine, I just don't think they're something that they're not. And, in particular, they are not comparable to the situation we face today. As for Mill, I disagree with him on so many points that it doesn't surprise me that I disagree with him on this one as well.

Thomas wrote:
Gee, it almost seems as if we disagree on that one.

It wouldn't be the first time, it won't be the last.
0 Replies