Need help with teen

helplessteen

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2005 09:53 pm
Well what I think you need to do is sit down with him and talk to him even maybe cry.. make it sure to him that you love him very much.. let him know that you care about him and want to make sure that he is being the best he can be.. at least thats what i would want my mom or dad to do. I'm a teen to. Just thought I should have my say.
0 Replies

jlr

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 08:53 am
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and support. My son has surprised me, he is accepting this. When he does his homework, or reads a book, he earns time on his xbox. Last night he wanted an extra half hour. My husband told him he had to either study some notes or read for a half hour, and then he'd get another half hour to play. He sees we are not being completely unfair and that good actions will bring rewards. So for now, I'm not going back to the therapist. He sees the psychiatrist next month. I would definitely like him to get off the meds, but we'll see how it goes.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:16 am
That is GREAT news jlr. Consistency will be the key here. If you promise it...give it. If the expected behaviour is not received...withold it.

We usually get what we expect. Expect the worst and you get it....Expect the best and you get that too. Always expect the best and settle for HIS best.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:26 am
That indeed is great news jir.
Children will work well with dicipline, and as Intrepid said
already, consistency is the key to all of it. Whatever
you promise him, make sure you'll keep it, your son needs
that reassurance of reward.

I am so glad things are working out for you, and I am proud
of you for choosing a different approach, it is easier said
as done, I know so too. Kudos to you!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:35 am
You were all of a dither because you loved him. I'm happy to see that logical love has only improved your relationship.

Good luck.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 01:17 pm
Great news, jlr. I'm glad you're seeing an improvement. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good visit with the pdoc next month. Thanks for the update.
0 Replies

Green Eyes

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 03:36 pm
Help on the way!
I think that your son is simply a teenage boy who has a lot on his plate right now. Taking the xbox is definitely a wonderful idea! It should have been done a long time ago! NO medication!!! That will only stress him out even more! Is he in any extracurricular activities? If not, try to boost his interest in one or two. And you say that he enjoys school but maybe he is lying to you because you are his parent (kids do that), maybe he is being bullied or hanging out with the wrong sort of people. Be his friend but don't be overbearing, put him on a leash so he will have a large part in solving this problem of his so he can learn from his mistakes. Razz Good luck!
0 Replies

jrgmoney

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:47 pm
Ok, heres the thing, being a 14 year old kid, i KNOW that video games aget in the way of my schoolw ork, and Ive been doing bad on my schoolwork for a while, and im getting on track. Xbox live is a big factor, because i have it myself. Just limit an hour a day until he gets back on track. It doesn't matter how he will react because if you keep beign afraid the grades won't change, my mom set an hour limit and as much as i hate it it helps a ton.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:53 pm
jlr wrote:
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and support. My son has surprised me, he is accepting this. When he does his homework, or reads a book, he earns time on his xbox. Last night he wanted an extra half hour. My husband told him he had to either study some notes or read for a half hour, and then he'd get another half hour to play. He sees we are not being completely unfair and that good actions will bring rewards. So for now, I'm not going back to the therapist. He sees the psychiatrist next month. I would definitely like him to get off the meds, but we'll see how it goes.

This is great! Every little step forward, no matter how small, still counts as a step forward!! Very Happy
0 Replies