An alternative past

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:15 am
Not sure if this is under the right heading but-

Im really interested in an alternate history.
After reading the Da Vinci Code(which I know alot of you think is a pile of make believe)I started to think that the past as it has been taught to us may not be true.

Ive learned lots through books, films, this forum.
Im really amazed at things like, fire imps, ghosts, spring heeled jack,is god male or female,exorcisms,satan being a fallen angel..
I saw Constantine the other night.Between Keanus good looks completely distracting me I realised there was a story of communication from angels and demons etc

Im not knocking established beliefs but love the idea of the past being different.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 812 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:19 am
Re: An alternative past
material girl wrote:

I saw Constantine the other night.Between Keanus good looks completely distracting me I realised there was a story of communication from angels and demons etc.

I have trouble with his acting ability but god does he look fine in those movies.........
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:25 am
Yeah, he's not the most expressive of actors but his profile/nose/6 pack is yummy!!!
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:30 am
Here is a quote that explains the subject nicely.

History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there.

-George Santayana
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:31 am
History is written by the winners.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 10:38 am
Sublime 1,such a good phrase.I think il have that tattooed on me somewhere.

Id like to think some of it happened.Cool stories about Noahs Ark(good for his family and the animals but bad for everybody else)Samuel Pepys documented events of th Great Fire of London(again bad ,but amazing that there is written evidence of it)
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 11:45 pm
Supposedly Napoleon said:

"History is a set of lies agreed upon"
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 02:07 am
Old Chinese saying:

"History is written by the people."
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 05:28 am
I think history can not be learn reading a single book. In most cases if you really start searching you will find it is not impossible to discover the lies. You just have to keep your brain up and running in the process.... The problem is that what you will find is not the absolute truth about facts, you will find your truth witch you find reasonable, but hey isn't that better then someone else's truth anyway? :wink:
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:37 am
So what makes people believe the unbelievable/impossible?
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:59 am
I'm a historian. We're trying our hardest here, people! We really are. Believe me. But sometimes it's hard. Cut us some slack. It's a tough (and often lonely) job, you know.
0 Replies