Does Bush's religious faith inappropriately dictatate policy

Tartarin

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 08:48 am
I sometimes think that the right's huge, rickety political existence is built on sexual envy. "Moral" has one meaning for them, evidently.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 08:50 am
they got "moral" down pat. the problem they have is with "ethical"
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 09:16 am
yes! Tartarin I agree.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 09:17 am
And of course, the ethical problem is a consistent given
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 10:12 am
We should do a detailed riff on right-wing morality, just to set the record straight.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 11:21 am
That is like asking if the right side of his brain knows what the left side is thinking. Embarrassed Embarrassed
Do I know if he believes what he is selling with his religious initiative or is it a political move to hold on to the vote of the religious right? Frankly, I do not know what his motives are nor do I care. I only know that he is attempting to blur the line between church and state and endangering one of the basic principles of this nation. Freedom of and from religion. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 04:47 pm
That baby is dieing a slow death au!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 09:06 am
Quote:
June 7, 2003 | WASHINGTON -- Civil rights groups and a senator criticized the Justice Department on Friday for rejecting plans by an employee group to hold a gay pride event at the agency's headquarters.

Departmental officials refused to allow DOJ Pride, which represents about 200 gay and lesbian Justice employees, to hold its annual meeting this year in the department's Great Hall, where it has been held for several years. The denial was first reported Friday in The New York Times.
http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2003/06/07/doj_gays/index.html
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 04:38 pm
Why am I not surprised? Ashcroft will be the death of GW's political career.........Ashcroft should just keep it up. :-)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 04:46 pm
Blatham, there's a whole threa don that. An interesting one too.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
From Blatham's Salon link:

Lautenberg noted that Ashcroft was asked by Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., during his confirmation hearing in September 2001 whether he would continue to allow DOJ Pride hold its annual meeting at the department's headquarters, as other groups and minority employees are permitted.

Ashcroft responded, " It would be my intention not to discriminate against any group that appropriately constituted in the Department of Justice."
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 12:29 pm
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 01:20 pm
Liar.

There was a discussion on a radio talk show this morning about how Americans have forgotten/avoided what "lying" means. They pointed to the series of Bush lies, Enron, etc. etc., and said, if we want our democracy back, we'd better learn the difference between lies and truth. I'll drink to that.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:10 pm
If I say I'm in contact with God - I'm schizo, if Bush does it he is a bonafide neo-con leader.

Well, I'm in contact with God and have been told Bush is in contact with another ethereal being. Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 07:36 pm
Tartar, I'm drinking because our country has lost our perception between truth and lies. c.i.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 07:55 pm
There does seem to be something to this. One might attribute some corner of it to the marking/consumerist context in which we now live ("Edsel...the car of the FUTURE") where 'truth' isn't really important, but 'convincingness' is.

Also, when ends justify means, then facts of matters can be less important than some final truth, or facts can even be impediments to reaching that final truth.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 07:57 pm
And the bottom line is....?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 08:04 pm
Tartarin

Yes. There is a certain irony, I suppose, in how the inexorable search for the bottom line will indeed lead to the bottom.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 08:41 pm
Unfortunately, we're still looking for the 'bottom.' c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:27 am
All I can do is take care of myself and my family - I am not a bottom feeder Smile
0 Replies