My daughter has the most disgusting habits

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 01:07 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
Boogers on the window and feces on a crib don't seem to me to be that big a problem. Maybe you have a cleanliness issue. Let the kid be a kid.

WHAT?? That is unsanitary, if nothing else. Feces is filled with bacteria. I personally don't want that spread around my house and on my kid.

Boogers are one thing....poop is completely another.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 01:50 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
That is unsanitary, if nothing else. Feces is filled with bacteria. I personally don't want that spread around my house and on my kid.

Boogers are one thing....poop is completely another.

Very true, feces DOES have bacteria.. b ut think about it this way:

If every single kid who ate thier poop got REALLY sick, we would have alot more health care problems with children under the age of 5 then we do right now. Every kid gets thier own poop in thier mouths at ONE time in thier child hood. ( even us adults have done it ;-) ) we are fine. They are fine.
it is nice? Absolutly not!
Is it worth panic mode? No
Call your doc? yeah.. just to be safe.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 02:08 pm
I agree with Bella. It would not be a good thing if my daughter ended up putting her fingers in her mouth after having a fist full of poop. This is especially an issue with her as she is a thumb sucker. Honestly it is gross to have to clean up the poop and snot, but I don’t have hang ups about it. I mean being a mom of two, I regularly clean poop up just changing diapers, not mention the occasional explosion (when child has not pooped for a day or so and stores up for a big one). Also I have been peed on and thrown up on – so yes I like to be clean, but not wanting poop all other a crib does not equate to a cleanliness issue.

My daughter (if you read thoroughly) is not a newborn, but a 2 year old. A very articulate two year old; so she has no issues with expressing her self beyond eating, pooping, crying, etc. I sure hope that my child is not scarred for life because I said it is yucky to put it on the window, so ask mommy for a tissue next time. I think you are a bit extreme classifying this sort of thing as a trauma.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:17 pm
Linkat - what does your daughter say when you tell her the behavior is unacceptable? Does she say why she does it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:29 pm
Lotsa kids love poop.

I can't even begin to count (ok, I don't want to) the number of toddlers I've taken care of, that have moved it around in some way. Some have hidden it behind doors - others seem to have just wanted to take it out of their diapers and leave it on the floor/carpet/sofa where they are.

I remember talking about this when I was doing some developmental psych courses. Touching poop - at least - was considered a fairly normal part of development.

I don't recall if it's supposed to hold some kind of mythic power, or something, but it's popular stuff.

hmmm, here's what one site doc says (in part)

http://www.drgreene.com/21_1496.html

Quote:
Many kids do go through a phase of finding poop fascinating. The goal is not to make it more so by reacting too strongly to it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:32 pm
well, I would imagine it is like anything else. They find their toes fascinating the first time they find them. They find an old shriveled piece of fruit that somehow managed it's way under the couch fascinating when they find it. I think it's the "hey, mom! Look what I found!" thing.

Edited for spelling.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:34 pm
it's still gross....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:36 pm
They eat worms.
They eat dirt.
They projectile vomit.
It's all good.

Especially when they belong to someone else.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:41 pm
I used to do the same things.

Then I noticed, last summer, I was getting a lot of dirty looks from people, so I cut down quite a bit.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 03:43 pm
I quit farting once for a year, but, I gained a lot of weight.

(thanks to Steve Martin)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 09:28 am
No, Green Witch she didn’t. My guess for the booger thing is that the window was an easy to reach place to put it.

She actually hasn’t done either thing, of course, since I first wrote this, so it isn’t really an issue. In my opinion just a listing and venting of some gross things that little tots do. I find it disgustingly amusing.

That is a riot ehBeth. Luckily I did not make too much a deal of it. Basically just telling her to put her hands in her pants when she had poopies, but to tell mommy so I can change her. She didn’t actually seem to enjoy touching it so much as she wanted it wiped off pretty quickly. I think she did like the quick attention she got when she did have it on her hands though. I mean pictures this – you see your daughter holding a handful of poop and what would you do? Run immediately to clean her so she wouldn’t put her hand in her mouth or try to wipe it on anything. Must be nasty to have to clean it out of carpet or a sofa especially for some one who says, “yeckky” and then starts shaking her hand immediately after touching it.

Yeah – ehBeth I used to love dirt when I was a tot.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:15 am
My personal life lesson is "don't run toward someone holding poop".
Confused
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:17 am
ehBeth wrote:
Confused

Step back out of flinging range too. Pearls, these are pearls.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 11:28 am
Move slowly and cautiously toward the object of interest, holding a large towel in front of you ...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 01:39 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
Confused

Step back out of flinging range too. Pearls, these are pearls.

From Larry Niven (who actually saw this happen at a protest rally, apparently):

1. Never throw [poop] at an armed man.
2. Never stand next to someone who is throwing [poop] at an armed man.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 02:05 pm
I cannot believe what this conversation has resorted to! Flinging poop and how to avoid it.

Speaking of that, a friend of mine while in the national guard was in some South American country. When they would walk through a certain area there were monkeys way up high in the tree that would throw their poop at them. They were not allowed to shoot at them or even in the area or even disturb them in anyone as they were protected animals. To this day my friend cannot stand any monkeys.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 02:13 pm
I am estranged from my younger brother for exactly the same reason.
0 Replies