Physical Exam

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 10:03 am
How often do you have a physical exam conducted by an M.D.?

Do you have health insurance, that pays for this exam?

If you didn't have health insurance, would you still have this exam?

Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,759 • Replies: 38
No top replies

urs53

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 10:53 am
In Germany, the health insurance will pay for it once a year starting from a certain age, I think. I never had one although I am sure that I would qualify agewise. I keep thinking about it. But of course that is not enough action ;-) But you made me think again, New Haven. I guess I'll talk to my doctor one of these days.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 01:17 pm
It depends on age. In my age (I am 40) it is necessary to undergo thorough health check at least once a year, to be able to catch malignant tumors on the early stages of their development while they are still curable.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 09:39 pm
For a man, the PSA and prostate evaluation is important. Equally important for men and women are the blood cholesterol, and the blood pressure measurements.

For women, the mammogram and the cervical evaluations are very important.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 06:21 am
I would guess, based on my experience as an intern in urology, that most men try to by-pass the physical exam in order to avoid the rectal part of the exam for the prostate.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 08:59 pm
I get giddy just thinking about the rectal exam, I just lovvvvvve them Very Happy , but I don't seek out medical exams. And I don't think men avoid them for that sole reason. I think most men avoid them because the vast majority of the time they are a waste of time and money - especially if you're under 35. Men think "it will never happen to them."

The only physicals I've had my entire life have been ones required for a job. I'm now getting to the point where I will try to have one every year or two if paid for by a medical plan, but I might think twice if I had to pay out of my own pocket. Millions of men avoid them for that very reason, even into their 50s, I bet.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 05:34 am
Are you telling us, you loved the rectal aspect of the exam?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 05:35 am
One thing that brings men into the urology office is impotence.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 05:42 am
I was kidding, although I don't believe I've ever had one in the first place.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 05:49 am
As you approach middle age, you'll have one. Maybe one/year.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 06:57 am
I use to wait years between exams, but now I like to try to go every year to get the usual womanly tests just to be sure.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 02:03 pm
Good idea. The one time you or I miss a test, who knows, but we'll come down with some disease.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 03:01 pm
I never go to the doctor unless I am on my deathbed. I haven't been for years and so my doctor (assigned to me by my insurance plan) sent several letters demanding I come in for my physical. I finally relented and made an appointment only to be pawned off onto a nurse (no disrespect to the nurse) but I expect my doctor to at least speak to me and examine me since she's been chewing my @$$ off to come in for years!

Anyways, I told nursey not to bother calling me if any of the tests and whatnot come back with diseases, cancer, whatever. I really do prefer not to know and I am not going to change my lifestyle regardless of what they find. It wouldn't surprise me to find that I prolly have some disgusting disease floating around in my body somewhere but I'm happier not knowing it.

Good for those who take care of themselves - I'm not one of you!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 03:25 pm
Heeven, if the cancer is on its early stage, it is curable. But this situation does not last for ages. After some time there is no remedy; and death of cancer patients is very hard, accompanied by severe pains and complete disability.
Regular examinations not only prolong life, they also save a great deal of suffering. Everyone will die some time (only God knows when), but the process of dying may differ.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 03:44 pm
Not gonna worry about it. If I die, I was meant to die. Not to sound depressing or anything but I am not concerned about when my life ends, I only wish to enjoy it while I have it. I will not worry and stress and psychologically be depressed by choosing not to religiously check my health and worrying I might have cancer or something far worse. I am going to live my life with the thought that I am well and will continue to be until something happens and by then, it will simply be my time.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 06:34 pm
Heeven:

How old are you? If I may ask.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 06:36 pm
Heeven:

One more thing. You should demand to see an M.D. That's what you're paying the insurance for. Get a different doc.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 05:03 am
Really!!! I never had a nurse do my exam. I'd look around.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 05:04 am
This is a Managed Care clinic?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 08:33 am
Harvard Pilgrim.
I'm 36.
0 Replies