Could my stroke be causing this ?

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 08:21 am
I have noticed over the past year and more so reciently, that my spelling ability is pretty shot.
I didnt have this right after I had my stroke , but lately it seems that my ability to spell even the simplist words is gone. My speech pattern hasnt changed. I dont have any problems with selecting words, combining them, or even remembering thier meanings. I just cant spell.

I have done some looking around on the internet about this and have found very little. Checking my medical books didnt offer anything either.
I have found articles that will say things like Apraxia can be brought on by a stroke, Aphasia is another possible side effect of a stroke as well.
What I am hung up on is that speech, spelling, communication skills etc.. are on the LEFT side of the brain.. my stroke was on the right side.....
I have no other side effects. I do have a very small amout of damage to the strength level of my left side , and if I smile BIG, you can see a slight diffrence in the left side of my face, but that is about it.
This makes no sense to me?
Have any ideas where I can find information about this?
I have an appointment with the doc that treated me last year for the stroke, but I wont see him for 3 months. Between now and then I want to find as much as I can so I can make sure to ask all the right questions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 870 • Replies: 8
No top replies

HofT

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 09:16 am
SheWolf - first a disclaimer, I know nothing of medicine, but am addressing your question as a mathematician because anyone with a wolf avatar has my sympathy.

There is a specific kind of brain scan - not MRI - in which 4-dimensional imaging (3D + time) is plotted against the brain's electrical activity in response to stimuli like hearing words, music, being shown pictures etc. Mathematically these models are identical to simulations for testing e.g. turbulence along the edge of a wing in wind tunnels, or nuclear weapons design, or any number of other applications, which is how I know of this type of brain scan.

If you haven't already done so go get one, even if you have to pay for it yourself; then you'll have a baseline case against which to test in the future. Sorry can't provide more details, but if you do a search along those lines you should be able to find more info. Good luck!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 09:25 am
That sounds quite interesting.
When I furst read this I thought.... CT scan.. not the same thing though.
I will look this up and see what I can find. It may be a great piece of info to offer my Doc when I see him.
Thank you. :-)
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 09:32 am
P.S. for SheWolf - another - possibly relevant - item I know from AI (artificial intelligence) applications to computer imaging: brains are self-repairing systems in that if certain neurons and their connections are damaged other cells start generating new connections (up to 10,000 per individual cell) in effect partially or wholly compensating for the disabled ones. It follows that the right-left hemisphere division of labor in the brain can't be rigidly defined.

That may - may! - provide another avenue for your research. Will be off the net for the rest of this week so once again I wish you best of luck!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 10:45 am
HofT wrote:
P.S. for SheWolf - another - possibly relevant - item I know from AI (artificial intelligence) applications to computer imaging: brains are self-repairing systems in that if certain neurons and their connections are damaged other cells start generating new connections (up to 10,000 per individual cell) in effect partially or wholly compensating for the disabled ones. It follows that the right-left hemisphere division of labor in the brain can't be rigidly defined.

That may - may! - provide another avenue for your research. Will be off the net for the rest of this week so once again I wish you best of luck!

This was my first thought as well. Perhaps your left brain is taking over capacity of some of the lost functions of the right side and your ability to spell is taking a hit in the process.

Also, I hadn't previously heard of your stroke. Sorry to hear it happened but I'm glad you're doing well.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 10:49 am
I didn't know that either..... I am glad you are ok!!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 10:51 am
J_B wrote:

This was my first thought as well. Perhaps your left brain is taking over capacity of some of the lost functions of the right side and your ability to spell is taking a hit in the process.

I have thought of this as well.. but then I am still mystified by how BAD it is getting.. there seems to be no improvement?
Wouldnt it start OUT this bad, then get better?
It seems strange for it to go in reverse. But then again, the humanbody is a strange thing.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 11:00 am
Mathematical modelling database - sorry link not available on public internet - show brain scan in question to be something called:

"quantitative electroencephalography (QEEG)"

Hope that helped - over and out Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 01:23 pm
I will definatly look into that. My doctor is wonderful. Of course, it tookhim a while to believe I had a stroke given my age... but that changed .

My husband said to me just a few mintes ago that there has been a few times where I sounded like I was 'drunk' and he knew I wasnt.
Obviously there is something going on.
This test may be a good thing for me.
0 Replies