Girls hair causes fur to fly

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 07:39 am
http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news/education/s/151/151512_school_bans_wrong_race_hairstyle.html

"School bans 'wrong race' hairstyle
Deborah Haile

A TEENAGER was sent home from school after the headteacher ruled she was the wrong race to have a braided hairstyle.

Olivia Acton, 13, was told she could not join her classmates at Middleton Technology College because her tightly plaited hair was too "extreme" for the strict uniform policy.

However, two other pupils at the school who have an Afro-Caribbean background are allowed to attend the school with similar hairstyles because it reflects their cultural heritage.

The teenager usually has her hair brushed straight but had it braided during a family holiday.

She was stunned to be turned away when she returned to school. She was told she can only go back to the classroom if she unpicks the plaits.

Olivia's father, Michael, says the school's rule is discriminatory and should be changed. But the school insists the uniform policy is an important way of maintaining standards and ensuring all youngsters are a part of the school community.

Mr Acton said: "The headteacher is saying it's extreme for my girl to have braids. I'm disgusted by the decision."

Middleton Technology College headteacher Allison Crompton confirmed that braided hairstyles were generally banned in the school but she would make exceptions for hairstyles which are a reflection of cultural heritage rather than a fashion statement."

I guess even England has its own PC stupidity.
This makes no sense at all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 615 • Replies: 1
No top replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 08:53 am
Remember the norsemen? Seems to me they conquered the northern part of England a thousand years ago. Plaited hair was a feature of their culture if my memory hasn't failed me.
0 Replies