I feel like a lost soul sometimes.

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 07:34 am
George, this just proves that there is no such thing as conversational flow on A2K. Perhaps conversational tumult would be more appropriate.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 10:35 am
George wrote:
Who else but Kicky -- pondering his direction in life -- could spawn
reflections on:
Pliny The Elder
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Rimbaud
Social Security
Clutter control
and mullet-optional keg parties in Rochester?

(Say, did I ever tell you how we used to control clutter by means of
The Exercise for a Happy Death?)

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 02:36 pm
I have - to my alarm - a kind of 21st century, super cool, modified mullet my very own self.

I am not quite sure how it got there, as I always become dormant at the hairdresser's...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 02:39 pm
Do people with mullets know they have mullets and do they realize that people are laughing at them? Or is that some sort of anti-insult hat they wear?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 02:39 pm
Is that possible? Is there such a thing as a cool mullet, let alone a SUPER cool one? I think we need pictures.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 03:05 pm
Lol - no pictures!

The thing is startling indeed - though I am sort of liking it now.

The mullety look is fading as the hair on top grows a little - and the long bit is kinda tendrilly.

Everyone else liked it before I did - but I shall stay awake in future - I think it too harsh for me.

I just looked in the mirror - I now have a weeny fringe back!!!

He took my little fringe!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 03:17 pm
Phew!

I just looked through a number of mullet sites to fnd mine - and I have discovered that I don't really have one at all!

The mullet-inspiration is too shbtle to be properly classified as such.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 03:39 pm
patiodog wrote:
Go to prison, get gold teeth. Could be the start of a new career for you, littlek. "She's got gold teeth / you know she's hardcore / she'll show a good time and then she'll show you the door."

Wow I almost got a gold tooth this month. Had to get a crown for one of my molars, and the dentist, she told me I had to choose: gold or - I dunno - that other stuff - which is white. Hardly a price difference, gold was a teeny bit cheaper, no factor really. I really thought hard: gold would be kinda cool. I liked the idea. She kinda recommended it actually, said she preferred it, her husband had all gold. But left it open. So yeah, I chickened. Decided I didnt care enough to risk regretting it at some later point in life when gold in my mouth might be undesired - so I chose the way of least conspicuence.

Tomorrow they'll put in the white-coloured crown made of whatchamacall it. 320 Euro I gotta bring (damn!), will get half of it back <sighs> But I guess all thats a lot more expensive still in the states.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 03:46 pm
littlek wrote:
I did click, it was about Douglas Adams.

But, mostly what is a frood and what's up with his towel?

oh dear
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 03:49 pm
We'll just try that again for Little k:

"Towel

Just about the most massively useful thing any interstellar Hitchhiker can carry. For one thing it has great practical value - you can wrap it around you for warmth on the cold moons of Jaglan Beta, sunbathe on it on the marble beaches of Santraginus Five, huddle beneath it for protection from the Arcturan Megagnats as you sleep beneath the stars of Kakrafoon, use it to sail a miniraft down the slpow heavy river Moth, wet it for use in hand to hand combat, wrap it round your head to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal, and even dry yourself off with it if it still seems clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

Hence a phrase which has passed into hitch hiking slang, as in "Hey, you sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is." (Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoopy: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 03:52 pm
'k - Douglas Adams wrote "The Hitch-hikers' Guide to the Galaxy".

Within those books, there is mentioned another, eponymous, book - also caled "The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

THIS book is actually a hitch-hikers' guide to the galaxy.

It contains advice - like a travel book does - about hitch-hiking in the galaxy.

As part of its advice is the the thing - reproduced in my pervious post - about carrying a towel.

That post gives the reasons for this - and also the definition of frood.

And - here ya go:

Hitch-hikers' Guide
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 03:55 pm
nimh wrote:
patiodog wrote:
Go to prison, get gold teeth. Could be the start of a new career for you, littlek. "She's got gold teeth / you know she's hardcore / she'll show a good time and then she'll show you the door."

Wow I almost got a gold tooth this month. Had to get a crown for one of my molars, and the dentist, she told me I had to choose: gold or - I dunno - that other stuff - which is white. Hardly a price difference, gold was a teeny bit cheaper, no factor really. I really thought hard: gold would be kinda cool. I liked the idea. She kinda recommended it actually, said she preferred it, her husband had all gold. But left it open. So yeah, I chickened. Decided I didnt care enough to risk regretting it at some later point in life when gold in my mouth might be undesired - so I chose the way of least conspicuence.

Tomorrow they'll put in the white-coloured crown made of whatchamacall it. 320 Euro I gotta bring (damn!), will get half of it back <sighs> But I guess all thats a lot more expensive still in the states.

And here - a crown costs well over a thousand dollars.

I know - I need one - but I will get back all but about $250 of it.

Gold - hmmmmm....
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 03:57 pm
djjd62 wrote:
i'll burn that bridge before i get to it, or something like that

ooo i like that one ... might put that in my sig some time.

<nimh's still lost ten-odd pages back>
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:05 pm
dlowan wrote:

Gold - hmmmmm....

Shocked

Wow.....my crown was $400 I think. I have a porcelain one.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:09 pm
i sent a copy of mine bookcrossing around the world once (hitchhikers guide/galaxy that is). and now, two years five months and twentyfive days later, its still travelling.

aint that cool?

and last august, "bookcrossing" was added to the Concise Oxford English Dictionary.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:11 pm
Ooh, can't be a book better suited to bookcrossing. I mean, the Hitchhiker's Guide itself is sort of the original bookcrossing book, isn't it? (OK, I don't know when bookcrossing started...)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:14 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Gold - hmmmmm....

Shocked

Are we discussing the same thing?

Here, a crown is a metal thing, with a porcelain overlay, that fits over the whole tooth - which has been drilled down to be a lot smaller. The crown becomes the new tooth.

It takes two or three appointments - and has to be sent off to be made after an impression of the tooth is taken - then a temporary plastic one is fitted - then you come abck, and have the real thing put on. It is for teeth which are no longer very strong, and are likely to fall apart.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:15 pm
sozobe wrote:
Ooh, can't be a book better suited to bookcrossing. I mean, the Hitchhiker's Guide itself is sort of the original bookcrossing book, isn't it?

Indeed.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:17 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Shocked

yeah, porcelain - thats what i'll get now, too. (i thought it was porcelain, just now - but then i thought, nah cant be - porcelain! the stuff that breaks if you look at it! if i say that and i got it wrong, y'all will laugh at me like i'm kicky or something. but yes, porcelain.)

oh but i gotta add - its 320 Euro tomorrow (which is about 400$ nowadays i'd guess) - plus, last time, i already had to pay separately for the preparation work, and the temporary crown and stuff. cost, i dunno, 200-something euro. so all in all an expensive joke still. the more since i also decided to pick up a.'s dentist's bills the other day (she couldnt get insurance yet and i was getting the paying notices - admin costs were already adding up, so something needed to be done - and i know that she dont have no way to pay 'em. at least i have credit to use.)

anyway. nuff about that stuff, depressing.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:32 pm
dlowan wrote:
Are we discussing the same thing?

Here, a crown is a metal thing, with a porcelain overlay, that fits over the whole tooth - which has been drilled down to be a lot smaller. The crown becomes the new tooth.

It takes two or three appointments - and has to be sent off to be made after an impression of the tooth is taken - then a temporary plastic one is fitted - then you come abck, and have the real thing put on. It is for teeth which are no longer very strong, and are likely to fall apart.

Yep - thats what I'm talking about too, any case. Apart from the metal bit (metal?! is it metal? they never told me about that, they just said gold or porcelain!). Coupla weeks back I went to the dentist and they did the drilling down thing, and then the impression thing. one of those nasty big frames filled with yucky paste they squeeze into your mouth thats gotta stay in for four minutes or something (long, anyway). i HATE that - had to have 'em made back at the orthodontists' when i was in school too. I get these gag reflexes, and i just gotta swallow - my nose is always clogged, so cant breathe properly - hate it. and they had to do it over, too <frowns>. i can get really upset at the dentist, too - all lost, afterwards.

so, anyway - now the lab should have used the impression to create a new porcelain molar-replacement thing that fits right over the molar (or whats left of it), all the way down to underneath your gums.

EU 320 for just the crown and putting it on - another 220 for the preparatory work + temp crown - plus EU 40 for the photos, the visit before that (i looked it up). almost 600 euro in all, half of which i get back from the insurance (i'm hoping).

and i'm 33. (symbolic really, innit?)

kids, brush your teeth twice daily!

sozobe wrote:
Ooh, can't be a book better suited to bookcrossing. I mean, the Hitchhiker's Guide itself is sort of the original bookcrossing book, isn't it?

clever!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 03:35:27