I feel like a lost soul sometimes.

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:38 pm
Ahhhhh, I see. Trying to make me look like a fool, huh?

bastard
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:39 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
why didn't you just delete that post, kicky. Now you've wasted a perfectly good spot by putting the word "edit" in it.

The horror.

Ha, I fixed it now. Once again I've unintentionally made your post look foolish. Sorry.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:40 pm
who's the fool now?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:40 pm
aHA! You got me! Good, now I don't feel so bad.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:41 pm
I think Herman Hesse is the fool.

Or Jeremy in Yellow Submarine. No, wait, he's a Nowhere Man. Damn it.

Herman Hesse's hill has a ha-foolish high-stepping wolf.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:43 pm
You didn't like Magister Ludi, patiodog?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:45 pm
Hess - Herman Hesse - he wrote Siddartha among other novels.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:45 pm
Ne'er heard of it. I'm just playing with haha sounds, gus. (Liked Steppenwolf and Cat and Mouse all right, years ago....)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:47 pm
Of course, Katz und Maus is Gunter Grass, so that's a really stupid thing to say...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:47 pm
Magister Ludi, aka The Glass Bead Game. One of Hesse's more enduring novels.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:49 pm
Hesse, get it right, Hesse!!!

She snaps, what is Wrong with you!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:50 pm
Down, girl! Down!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:52 pm
Bruce Milligan wrote:
As I work to help position Redgate as a leader in the programming of content for the World Wide Web, I've spent a good deal of time thinking about the nature of the Web -- a realm of pure intellect, minds interacting with machines, constructs of information designed to facilitate the sometimes-ordered, sometimes-random and often serendipitous roamings of human inquisitiveness... But more than anything, this process of information publishing and linking on the Web reminds me a lot of the Glass Bead Game that Hermann Hesse wrote about in his 1943 novel Das Glasperlenspiel (translated "The Glass Bead Game", subtitled "Magister Ludi"...)

I don't know who the hell Bruce Milligan is, but I thought I'd pass this along.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 12:03 am
claps hands laughing. I've never read Hesse. I heard too much about it...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 12:05 am
"The Myth of Sisyphus", by Camus looks very interesting. I feel like that Sisyphus guy a lot of the time lately.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 12:07 am
"Siddharthta" is a good book to read, when you feel lost -
so is "The Alchemist" (Paulo Coelho).
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 12:08 am
Sisyphus? Didn't the English call that "the French disease," the French "the Italian disease," and the Appalachians "Ma's itch"?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 12:08 am
Kicky, don't let anyone sugar you out of your existential doldrums. They are a sign of creeping philosophical/religious maturity (I'm not talking about theistic fundamentalism). If I were you--and I was very much like you at one time--I would not try to avoid the lost feeling. I would focus on it, examine it, feed off of it. Camus would be a good guide. It is called Dukkha in Buddhism, the fundamental disattisfaction we have with our ego-centric lives, no matter how "good" things are going. Listen to Adrian and LittleK, but most importantly to yourself.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 12:10 am
Quote:
Sisyphus is the son of Aeolus (the king of Thessaly) and Enarete, and founder of Corinth. He instituted, among others, the Isthmian Games. According to tradition he was sly and evil and used to way-lay travelers and murder them. He betrayed the secrets of the gods and chained the god of death, Thanatos, so the deceased could not reach the underworld. Hades himself intervened and Sisyphus was severely punished.

In the realm of the dead, he is forced to roll a block of stone against a steep hill, which tumbles back down when he reaches the top. Then the whole process starts again, lasting all eternity. His punishment was depicted on many Greek vases. He is represented as a naked man, or wearing a fur over his shoulders, pushing a boulder.

According to some sources, Sisyphus was the father of Odysseus by Anticlea, before she married Laertus. They also mention Theseus as the hero who freed the country of Sisyphus.

Well, you're not evil and murderous (I don't think). But, even so, perhaps you need a champion to kill of sisyphus - your own Theseus.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 12:14 am
Dukkha. Dukkha. It fits.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/20/2024 at 09:14:08