Sound and light treatment for brain disorders

Clary

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 05:28 am
OK, so my last thread was pulled - deemed 'advertising, I suppose - so can I ask if anyone out there has experienced or heard of this, particularly relating to ADD/ADHD, dyslexia, autism? I am interested in all research you may know about.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 798 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Prospero

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 06:11 am
Clary - I am not an expert in this field, but I have looked at the materials at the website you previously mentioned.

I also searched on Google Scholar for scholarly articles on this "sound and light treatment".

The books the website mentions appear to me to be not at all serious works - though I have not had access to any of them other than via Amazon's website.

A number of the references cited to appear in a seemingly reasonable popular science magazine did not, in fact, do so. That is, they returned error messages.

I was unable, on a cursory search, to return randomized double blind trials of this treatment.

As I understand it, bio-feedback does return some useful effects (but this is the rankest amateur assessment.)

Frankly, I am very suspicious of this methodology, and I think you are very wise to be asking this question.

I hope that someone with truly expert knowledge responds to your question, however.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 10:25 am
I know that there has been some use of bright light to help with SAD (Seasonal Affliction(?) Disorder) here in my area. And I think it helps with adjusting after getting jet-lag.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 06:19 am
Yes, littlek, that is said tobe effective. The treatment I am looking at is different, though, and has the advantage of being noninvasive and safe for everyone - unlike most of the drugs we are currently using for so many kids, Ritalin may have wonderful effects but can it be good to put a lot of chemicals into the system? I've seen how the sound and light can relax someone, and make them feel 'sharper' and more alert when the session stops - no bad thing for most of us!
0 Replies

5600hp

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 11:08 am
Might be come in handy for my bipolar personality......
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 11:02 am
I think it would, if you are serious. My husband had that. It calms down the extremes, betawave manic stress and thetawave obsessional gloom.
0 Replies