Ashcroft explains Patriot Act

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 09:20 am
Calling Ashcroft's Patriot's Act the Patriot's Act is like calling the Holy Roman Empire the Holy Roman Empire!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 09:22 am
so are we dealing with a misnomer or an oxymoron?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 10:19 am
Both!

If you include Ashcroft in the mix -- as in "Ashcroft's Patriot's Act" it is an oxymoron.

If you eliminate Ashcroft from the scene -- as in "Patriot's Act" it is a misnomer.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:32 am
http://www.bartcop.com/pieman12.jpg
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 10:05 am
PDid: I looked at the cartoon, and had a good laugh.

Then, upon further reflection, I realized that there is a tremendous similarity between the Iraqi people who fear that the US Marines will eat them upon capture and humanists such as yourself who try to understand those who espouse a religion, specifically Christianity.

Both are operating from a position of ignorance.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 07:16 pm
"I believe that religion, generally speaking, has been a curse to mankind - that its modest and greatly overestimated services on the ethical side have been more than overcome by the damage it has done to clear and honest thinking."
-- Henry Louis Mencken
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 07:20 pm
Mencken, although a witty guy and sharp dresser, was pretty ignorant about religion.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 07:37 pm
dad's little digression into ignorance is concluded; back to topic.

From the
Village Voice:

Briefly, the dots connect like this:

The administration's refusal to release Patriot Act-related records to Congress, the refusal to release the names of detainees and open their court hearings to the public, and the Freedom of Information Act exemptions under the Homeland Security Act add up to a secretive government, acting outside the scrutiny of the public and its representatives.

The development of the Total Information Awareness program, the mining of individuals' shopping and library records, and the melding of spy and arrest functions add up to government invasion of privacy and restriction of expression.

The indefinite detention of U.S. citizens deemed by Bush to be "enemy combatants," the secret detention and deportation of immigrants not charged with a crime, and the tracking and questioning of nationals from particular countries add up to unilateral executive power to deprive people of their physical liberty.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 07:47 pm
Better to sample it through digressions, then to fully immerse oneself in it.

If I am not mistaken, before the Patriot Act can take effect in any instance, the Government must show EVIDENCE of a link or nexus to a foreign terrorist group.

I am at a loss as to how law abiding Americans during this time would find this so objectionable.

I am sure that you will tell me why, though.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 08:24 pm
maxsdadeo wrote:

If I am not mistaken, before the Patriot Act can take effect in any instance, the Government must show EVIDENCE of a link or nexus to a foreign terrorist group.

COMMENT:

I think you are mistaken...over and over again.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 09:00 pm
frank: read this thread, then tell me I am wrong again.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5573&highlight=
0 Replies

LiberalAgainstBush

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 07:19 pm
Privacy vs. Freedom
We live in a country where we have freedoms that should not be taken away. Whether terrorism is threatening our country or not. It is rediculous for Ashcroft to even hint or taking my freedoms. Ashcroft is against anyone who is not white, 6' 2", with blue eyes...sound familiar???
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:27 pm
Okay Max

I've read it and now I'm telling you that you are wrong again.

What now?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:50 pm
for clarification on consititutional law read the Supreme Court Decision on Habeas Corpus 1868.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2003 10:23 am
maxsdadeo - Thanks for the info from the other link. Yes, I read it, and yes, it reads as you stated. The government must show EVIDENCE of some kind of link to a foreign terrorist group before it can act under the auspices of the Patriot Act.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 08:31 am
Weren't we told, back on the eve of the passage of the PATRIOT Act, that the Homeland Security apparatus would never, ever be used for domestic spying? Didn't they promise? Weren't all the people who voiced those concerns labeled as 'conspiracy theorists?'

Well, they lied.

Quote:
One federal agency that became involved early on was the Air and Marine Interdiction and Coordination Center, based in Riverside, Calif. -- which now falls under the auspices of the Homeland Security Department.

The agency received a call to locate a specific Piper turboprop aircraft. It was determined that the plane belonged to former House Speaker Pete Laney, D-Hale Center.

The location of Laney's plane proved to be a key piece of information because, Craddick said, it's how he determined that the Democrats were in Ardmore.

"We called someone, and they said they were going to track it. I have no idea how they tracked it down," Craddick said. "That's how we found them."
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Thu 15 May, 2003 09:15 am
Ashcroft explains Patriot Act
A friend told me of the concerns for Patriot Act II and gave me a website. This article came from that site.

--WWW.INFOWARS.COM -- RED ALERT--

Patriot Act II -- SECRET LEGISLATION
The Second Patriot Act Is Much Worse Than the First...And They Didn't Want You to Know About It...Until After They Had Sprung an Attack

BREAKING NEWS FROM INFOWARS.COM -- Feb 8, 2003

The Center for Public Integrity, a nonpartisan group, has revealed that it has received a top-secret Justice Department document containing plans for a second and even more draconian Patriot Act which would drastically expand government's police powers.

Calling for even more governmental secrecy and increased surveillance on the American people, the legislation has been kept secret from the public, pending a more conducive environment for its introduction -- say, after a terrorist attack. After an attack, when the sheeple are down on their knees kissing the jackboots of the police state and begging for more control, begging to give up their liberty for security, loving Emperor Bush and his power-mad cabinet-of-thugs would have no problem convincing the duped and frightened population that this "new" legislation would be needed in light of the current, dangerous atmosphere.

We are trying desperately to read all 120 pages of the document. Section 501 (the Expatriation of terrorists) allows the government to grab American citizens secretly for the mere suspicion of a crime, take their citizenship away and extradite them to a foreign country for imprisonment, torture, or execution.

This is Caesar-type power, and they plan to legitimize it by launching another terrorist attack.

MORE COMMENTARY FROM INFOWARS.COM COMING SOON

DOWNLOAD THE DOCUMENT -- HIGH RESOLUTION VERSION (PDF FILE)

DOWNLOAD THE DOCUMENT -- LOW RESOLUTION VERSION (PDF FILE)

RELATED ARTICLES:

Justice Dept. Drafts Sweeping Expansion of Anti-Terrorism Act

PBS NOW With Bill Moyers Reports
0 Replies