0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 01:50 pm
terrorist roach clips invade america
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 05:18 pm
Homeland security
http://cagle.slate.msn.com/news/TIPS/AshcroftTIPS/corkfgy.jpghttp://http://cagle.slate.msn.com/news/TIPS/AshcroftTIPS/corkfgy.jpg
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 10:29 pm
I am picturing Ashcroft tastefully draped in blue....................
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 07:41 am
"tastefully"?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 07:59 am
The philosophy of Dubya and Ashcroft:

We are going to protect our rights -- even if we have to revoke every one of 'em to do it.

Reminds me of their other philosophy:

We're gonna free those people -- even if we gotta kill every one of 'em to do it.

As Oliver Hardy might have said to the Supreme Court Justices:

"This is another fine mess you've gotten us into!"
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 08:41 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
The philosophy of Dubya and Ashcroft:

We are going to protect our rights -- even if we have to revoke every one of 'em to do it.

lemme' see now, where have i heard that one before/

maybe>>> "we will destroy this village to save it"?

and oddly, those who call anti-war protestors "traitors" seem to believe that the freedoms that "they," the terrorists, hate us for does not include the freedom to dissent from popular views.

it is startling to hear people call other americans traitors when the latter are expressing their own beliefs that a war, supposedly to protect our freedoms is not the best thing to do to protect those freedoms.

seems a strange disconnection with any logic.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 08:51 pm
logic?
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 10:34 pm
dyslexia - tastefully draped in blue - yes. I simply cannot imagine prim and proper Ashcroft distastefully draped in blue. And standing against a backdrop emblazoned with the words "Justice for All" repeated over and over. Naked as a jaybird. Does the man never smile?

Anarchy - dyslexia, I back off. Except that I believe that an excess of what is being proposed by the Patriot Act could lead to it.

Defined as:"political theory opposed to all forms of government. Anarchists believe that the highest attainment of humanity is the freedom of the individual to express himself, unhindered by any form of repression or control from without. The belief that all governments rest on violence to control their subjects"

--1984 Funk & Wagnalls Encyclopedia
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 10:51 pm
mamajuana re anarchy i have to admit to being an idealist in all matters of human discourse ergo i see anarchism thru rose colored eyes.Wink
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 03:04 am
ergo? (forsooth!)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 08:08 am
snood i really meant "eggo" i was thinking of waffles for breakfast. Wink
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 08:33 am
I had a "Macgriddle" - so bad for you, but soooo goood to eat!!!
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 01:32 pm
It seems that most of the time people in these discussions offer their own "versions" of what someone else thinks or says, and then complain at how ridiculous the position (which they have created out of whole-cloth) is. This doesn't seem to be a very valuable practice.

Likewise, when someone challenges these people to offer real factual evidence to support their fabrications, they complain and attack the person who made the request. Wouldn't it be a more effective indication of the correctness of your viewpoint to actually provide the requested proof the you are right?

I get the distinct impression that some people are so enamored of the feeling they get from believing their position to be righteous, that they will do anything to avoid risking the loss of that feeling.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 07:08 pm
Ah...care to cast that net a little more specifically, tres?
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 11:35 am
snood wrote:
Ah...care to cast that net a little more specifically, tres?

No. My goal is not to engage in personal attacks and insults or to critique specific members. My goal is to try to have some meaningful discussions about current issues. When I think certain trends among some in these discussions run contrary to that goal I may--as I have done here--comment to that effect. Likewise when I have challenged the validity of information certain parties have shared it had nothing to do with the person and everything to do with the value of the information to a meaningful discussion.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 05:37 pm
Yeah, you're right, of course. Innuendo is better.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 06:20 pm
http://www.bartcop.com/blind-pat.jpg
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 07:08 am
Innuendo, snood?

I don't see it that way, TW may be leaning towards passive aggressive, but his responses are always cordial and well reasoned and perfectly clear.

I think you are thinking of me with that innuendo comment. Shocked
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 09:13 am
maxsdadeo=innuendo? nah nothing subtle about you
0 Replies