Etruscans in Rome?

plainoldme

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 12:10 pm
osso -- People went where the goodies were! Delphi was also a wealthy place. Religion gathers in the gold.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 12:18 pm
right! and so it goes..
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 05:59 am
LuckyStar wrote:
Well, I dont think you guys understand my question lol. I dont want to know where the etruscans came from. I wanna know where the ROMANS came from. Who were their ancestors?

This is quite a question, you know?

According to archeological evidences the zone where Rome was finally built around the VIII century BC was actually a meeting point between Latins, Sabins and Etruscans. The famous "seven hills" counted more then one smaller village centuries before Rome was actually build. As Rome assumed the shape of a real city it became immediately a center for commerce because of it's position right in the center of Italy, close both to Etruscans and to "Magna Grecia", over a river witch provided both defence and an easy way of communication.

So Romans where, much probably an union between those three cultures. It was, probably, considerate an Etruscan city by Etruscans, even if the Roman language was very different from Etruscan one. But if you go to Cecina, Volterra, Tarquinia or Cerveteri and look at Etruscan ruins you could be quite surprise to see how "Roman" they look like. Both in architecture and in paintings.

I'm not entirely sure if it is really correct to say that Rome destroyed the Etruscans, it is probably more right to say there was a merge, instead. The ancient Romans where with any evidence, partially Etruscan themselves!
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:09 am
ossobuco wrote:
Lintner says that the Celts sacked Rome in 390 bc - and that the Gallic tribesmen were bought off with gold, order was relatively quickly re-established...
Rome has had so many sackings, I can't keep them straight.

Yes, Brenno was the Celtic leader that time Smile Acoording to legend the senate was supposed to pay a certain ammount of gold, measured on a two plate balance. When the operation was complete Brenno put his sword over one plate saying "vae victis" (Truble to the beaten) forcing the senate to put more gold on the other.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:50 am
Glad to have your input, Raphillon, thank you.

Your description of archeologic findings situated at the site of early Rome makes a great deal of sense.
0 Replies

Paingod The Roman lost Go

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 12:18 am
I think that that the romans were many cultures coming together......... They were simple farmers coming together on the river tiber ANYONE could of been mixed in with....... a lost Phoenician settlement perhaps even ecaped Messenians running from the spartans, they could even be Spartans themselvs!
Rome as Raphillon said was a center of commerce and the greeks were wealthy traders!
what i am sayen is that Rome Has To many blended in cultures to possibly say who ACTUALLY founded Rome!
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 12:54 am
Book
0 Replies