Clearing Misconceptions of the Berserk

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:51 pm
Even the greatest experts on Scandinavian history shirk the subject of the Berserker because they are unable to come to grips of what they were. They create slanderous theories that deny what the Berserker was.

History's enormous misperception of the Berserk has been a source of considerable frustration to me. Because they do understand what the Berserks were they satiate themselves with unfounded theories and cruel stereotypes. These falsehoods are accepted and challenges to them is often met with scorn and disbelief. They tarnish the title with their ignorance on the subject, their ignorance is not at fault so much as their arrogance to believe they know better.

Amanita Muscaria: It is a hallucinogenic mushroom that is probably the most accepted theory for how the Berserks entered into Berserkgang. It is a cop-out theory, while somewhat prevalent in Scandinavia during late Summer and Fall, it still wasn't prevalent enough to account for the wide range that Berserks were found in. It did not grow in Iceland where Berserks lived, it did not grow in many places where Berserks spent long amounts of time fighting in such as most of Europe, Russia, North Africa, and the Mediterranean Middle East. It can lead to hightened aggression but it causes intense nausea, vomitting and severe hallucinations. The Berserks entered into gangr year round, in all manner of places, sometimes without their control. Vomitting, nausea, and hallucinations were never reported, and that would also signifigantly decrease their combat effectiveness so much so that they would have been much less feared as warriors.

Alcohol induced Rage: Some believe Berserks went into gangr through heavy drinking. Ludicrous, the amount of alcohol required to enter into a state of uncontrollable rage would reduce a fighter's abilities severely. Puking, poor eye-hand coordination, going unconscious, and not to mention Berserks were highly resistant to pain, and a drunkard sobers up quick with the introduction to pain.

Myth: The most insulting and ignorant of them all. Berserks were spoken of far too much in far too many sources. They were noted in legal documents including those that were made during the Christianization of Scandinavia.

It is difficult to explain what it is. So I'll just explain how it is done and who does it. A small portion of people have the capability to become a Berserk. They are born with it, an ability to substitute all feeling, emotion, and thinking with a strangely euphoric and excited rage during times of hightened adrenalin generally found in times of danger or great physical exertion. It is a different state of being, heightened visual, auditory, and sense of smell. Pain is felt but not in the same manner, you are somewhat aware of it but generally unfeeling. The absence of pain increases strength and speed signifigantly. The skin turns red and puffs out a bit with the surge of blood, sometimes so much that the capillaries in the eyes burst so that you see through red. The excitement of it is immense, all fear is abolished. There is no concern, only the overwhelming and intoxicating desire to feel the thrill of combat with no thought as to personal well-being, who you're attacking, what else is going on, nothing.

It can be brought about artificially. First a stillness of the mind must be achieved, often through meditation. Followed by a dance that builds in frenzy until a palpable peak is reached, guttural vocalization helps and pain in the form of cutting and even burning helps gangr be quickly achieved. It will be so much that the state which was previously mentioned will be entered into.

Since this forum undoubtedly has many history buffs on it, I will hope that your new found understanding will help rectify the misconception of the Berserk. Thank you all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,073 • Replies: 6
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 11:27 am
Berserk means bear shirt. The Scandinavian word serk gave rise to both the English words shirt and skirt, so serk must have meant garment rather than shirt and was probably a long tunic.
0 Replies

Waldo2

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2005 04:08 pm
Well, I'm certainly going to have to review my opinions on all things that deal with berserks. Heck, I thought the noun was berserker (shows how much I know). Thanks for the heads up!
0 Replies

Ivory Fury

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:00 pm
Berserk or Berserker are both acceptable. Bear shirt is not the only plausible interpretation, it can also be bare of shirt, referring to the fact that Berserks were often naked when in gangr because of the massive overheating.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:05 pm
They also gained a plus two on most combat rolls, which is pretty impressive.

Especially for low level berserkers.
0 Replies

Ivory Fury

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:20 pm
Hahahaha, oh god don't even get me started on Berserks representation in games.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:25 pm
You feel they were misrepresented?

Do tell.
0 Replies