Surgical Risks

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 06:18 am
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/060/nation/Study_cites_risks_of_low_volume_surgeries+.shtml
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,233 • Replies: 5
No top replies

steissd

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 06:23 am
Surgery for abdominal aorta aneurism repair is performed for life-related indications. It is impossible to remove this surgery from the list of operations performed in any large hospital. Of course, it is better to undergo such a surgery in a specialized cardiovascular medical center, but I am not sure that insurance companies will be ready to cover the resulting higher expenses.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 07:10 am
I would never have ANY heart related surgery in any facility that was not either a heart center specialty institution, or else known for their heart surgeries.

Some years ago, I purchased a book that was put out by U.S. News and World Report. It is called "America's Best Hospitals", and it is rated by discipline. They use parameters such as mortality rates, interns/residents to beds, RNs to beds, board certified cardiologists to beds, etc.

There is a list of top 50 hospitals in the country, by discipline. Then they have a list of the best hospitals by state, by discipline. They are divided into four tiers. If I had a serious heart operation, I would want at least a tier 2 if I lived inthe boonies, and tier 1 if I lived in a large metropolitan area!

Look what I found! You don't even have to buy the book!

Link to Best Hospitals
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 11:08 am
I agree, but there are rare diseases that occur so infrequently that even in the best centers there are not enough cases treated for accurate statistical report. Aortal aneurism once was very frequent disease since it developed on the third stage of syphilis. Nowadays, syphilis is a rare disease per se, and it is being treated by antibiotics long before any complications develop. Arteriosclerosis may be a cause, but the condition does not develop so frequently in the patients with arteriosclerosis. The other reasons include:
Quote:

Genetic: There is a familial tendency to aortic aneurysms. This tendency is at least in part genetic. Among the inheritable causes of aortic aneurysms are connective tissue disorders such as Ehlers-Danlos syndrome and Marfan's syndrome.
Post-traumatic: After physical trauma to the aorta.
Arteritis (inflammation of blood vessels) as occurs in Takayasu disease, giant cell arteritis, and relapsing polychondritis.
Congenital malformation of the aorta (aneurysms tend to develop just beyond the narrowing of a coarctation of the aorta; also with what is called a ductus diverticulum).
Mycotic (fungal) infection which may be associated with immunodeficiency, IV drug abuse, heart valve surgery.
, and these conditions are not so frequent either.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 11:32 am
There is a website where, for a fee, staff will research and find the best doctors for an unusual illness. The people who run this site have a marvelous reputation!

http://www.bestdoctors.com/en/docfinder/fullsearch/find.asp
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 08:37 am
Good link!
0 Replies